Student - looking for information on mechanical heart valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreagen

Hey all, I'm a student at Purdue University currently working on a project attempting to fix the clicking noise from mechanical heart valves. I am looking to do brief, 20-30 minute zoom interviews with patients with mechanical heart valves to discuss their experiences. All personal information and medical records are not shared publicly, and any information shared is used for research only. All identifying information will be removed. If anyone is willing to talk to me, it would be very helpful and greatly appreciated. Email me at [email protected] if interested.

Hi kreagen. I have one of the oldest mech Aortic valves ever implanted (1967). It is a Starr-Edwards "ball-in-cage" valve. I am 87 years old and NOT very computer savvy.
If you call, please identify yourself quickly as we receive 20-30 spam calls a day and hang up quickly on calls that we perceive might be spam. I am retired and can usually be reached at the number above. Cheers!

Last edited:
I would do a Google search for dual-durometer heart valve leaflets - the only way you are going to reduce the noise is with a "softer" material (like a tissue valve lol). Someone makes a single-occluder valve out of Delrin - I don't know if that's any quieter or not (made in India if I remember correctly). If you think you are going to slow the leaflets down to make a "gentle" close - good luck, lots of fluid dynamic stuff going on to avert your progress - good project though...

I passed your message along to my 20 year old son with a mechanical mitral valve. Hopefully you’ll hear from him😊. Good luck on your project!

Hi kreagen. I have one of the oldest mech Aortic valves ever implanted (1967). It is a Starr-Edwards "ball-in-cage" valve. I am 87 years old and NOT very computer savvy. If you wish you can call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. If you call, please identify yourself quickly as we receive 20-30 spam calls a day and hang up quickly on calls that we perceive might be spam. I am retired and can usually be reached at the number above. Cheers!
You might want to remove your phone number if you don’t want to see 20-30 spam calls ramp up to 200-300 scam calls. Just a suggestion.

Purdue University currently working on a project attempting to fix the clicking noise from mechanical heart valves
well for myself I can't / don't hear any clicking (I do hear my heartbeat in the way that people who can perceive it do so, its not through my ear hole but conduction through my head and blood). Other people standing close can report to hear it, but that doesn't bother me.

So I'd say you need to clarify your research question (such as what is the pathway of the sound you're perceiving) with a bit more of a literature review on the subject. If you're doing anything at university level (which isn't basic undergrad) you should really follow up researching what nobog has already mentioned.

A quick exposure to song writing and poetry shows that for quite some time now people have written about hearing the sound of their own heart going boom boom boom as well as others hearts.

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm a student at Purdue University currently working on a project attempting to fix the clicking noise from mechanical heart valves. I am looking to do brief, 20-30 minute zoom interviews with patients with mechanical heart valves to discuss their experiences. All personal information and medical records are not shared publicly, and any information shared is used for research only. All identifying information will be removed. If anyone is willing to talk to me, it would be very helpful and greatly appreciated. Email me at [email protected] if interested.
Sure thing, I would be willing, i had heard some having that problem, I am hard of hearing, but bit not deaf, maybe that is why I cannot hear it, dont know. I will tell you more when I talk to you, i will email you my number now, and please text first so i know who you are, i get tons of spam calls.
howard hal ollman
[and I dont even mind, I mean if it helps others, you may put out there even my private information about it, I am not shy, nor do I have anything to hide!!! HHO]

Last edited:
I might be visiting Purdue next week Friday with my son for a college visit. Might have a window to chat. I’ll check with my family. It’s a day for my son so that’s first priority. But there my be an hour break between tours a bit after noon. You can hear some ticking live and in person.

I might be visiting Purdue next week Friday with my son for a college visit. Might have a window to chat. I’ll check with my family. It’s a day for my son so that’s first priority. But there my be an hour break between tours a bit after noon. You can hear some ticking live and in person.
If you get the chance to talk to us it would be very appreciated since we haven't talked to any patients in person yet. And I would also be willing to answer any questions your son might have about Purdue since I am a Junior in biomedical engineering and it's sometimes nice to hear opinions from someone who isn't being paid by the school.

If you get the chance to talk to us it would be very appreciated since we haven't talked to any patients in person yet. And I would also be willing to answer any questions your son might have about Purdue since I am a Junior in biomedical engineering and it's sometimes nice to hear opinions from someone who isn't being paid by the school.
I’ll check with the fam. He’s looking at the aerospace engineering and we’re taking the engineering tour.

Thank you all for the advice. The only thing I know about the internet is what I taught myself after I retired........back when the world was sane. Unfortunately, I'm learning that the NEW world order is not for sissies.........or people who remember when the world was much simpler. I much prefer the older way.......sad!!

The length of time dick0236 has had his mechanical valve is impressive, and great news for all who have mechanical valves. I am somewhat similar to dick0236's case in that I have had a St Jude aortic valve for 35 plus years now. Mine was installed in December of 1987, and seems to be going well. I am an interesting case in that I have developed PTSD to a certain extent over the surgery and have had consequences because of it since it was installed. I would sure love to have a valve that didn't make noise, because it seems something as simple as that has caused me issues.

Thank you all for the advice. The only thing I know about the internet is what I taught myself after I retired........back when the world was sane. Unfortunately, I'm learning that the NEW world order is not for sissies.........or people who remember when the world was much simpler. I much prefer the older way.......sad!!
Internet has never been sane since it was invented. Was never simpler nor safe.

I am an interesting case in that I have developed PTSD to a certain extent over the surgery and have had consequences because of it since it was installed. I would sure love to have a valve that didn't make noise, because it seems something as simple as that has caused me issues.
I think most of us develop some form of PTSD.....especially if we were young when we had the surgery. That's something the surgeons don't tell you......that's why forums like VR.org are important. Aftercare is something that we have to deal with long after we leave the operating table.

Thanks again for the chat today. It was nice meeting you. Hope your research yields great results! My son really enjoyed the campus. Visited with Mechanical, Civil, Aerospace, and Nuclear engineering presentations as well as some building and facilities tours. Seems like a great program.

I was surprised that in a crowded noisy student dining area you could hear the ticking. As I said there, I can’t hear it in that setting. Must be younger ears. Good luck with the rest of your studies!

Latest posts

Back