Stroke 1 year ago now covid

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerfirmie

My 18 year old daughter has Covid. She’s had a mechanical valve for several years but had a stroke a year ago. As a result they increased her warfarin dose and added an aspirin daily. But the could not give her reassurance of not getting a blood clot again. I am trying to help her to not worry while she goes through Covid. But she keeps worrying about clots and no one has given her any reassurance about it. Any suggestions as to what I should say or do?

Hi there

to my mind the best way to avoid worry is to get knowledge. Knowledge on how her INR is actually and what to do about it. Strokes always have some cause.

Doctors can seldom give decent diagnosis because they are pressed for time (next).

Tell me, do you self test and how do feel about your understanding of what it is you're managing.

Have a read of my blog post here and see where that leads
https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/09/managing-my-inr.html

if to more questions then please shoot them

Best Wishes

My 18 year old daughter has Covid. She’s had a mechanical valve for several years but had a stroke a year ago. As a result they increased her warfarin dose and added an aspirin daily. But the could not give her reassurance of not getting a blood clot again. I am trying to help her to not worry while she goes through Covid. But she keeps worrying about clots and no one has given her any reassurance about it. Any suggestions as to what I should say or do?
Keeping her a bit active, like walking. It helps to prevent the clot and making sure she takes her warfarin every day. It is hard to be up when sick but laying down will make it more possible of a clot. And I pray she has the Covid shots including the latest booster.

Reactions: Eva
Are you self-managing or going through a clinic? Asking because I agree with pellicle about knowledge. Most of us that manage our own warfarin test weekly and adjust as needed. And that also gives you the option of testing whenever you want to. Having THAT knowledge and being in control of it is super duper helpful.

I’m sorry your young daughter has stroke worries. I’ve had covid for 5 days, now and I hadn’t worried about a stroke at all.
But, my INR has gone from 4.8 to 5.4 in 3 days so I am concerned about that.
I am forced to move because I have to potty my dog. Your daughter will have her worries but if she moves around that would take the risk down I think.
We’re thinking of her and hoping she has no issues as she heals.

Was she in range when she had the stroke? Curious if they increased her dose to get her back in range, or if they increased her range (and by extension the dose) because of the stroke.

Regardless, hope she feels better soon doesn’t have any more issues. I can imagine being afraid for a while after experiencing something like that.

I’m assuming she’s worried about the rare events of clotting due to Covid that have been found in young people like herself. I would think she’s already extra protected against those because she is on warfarin? Hoping she’s already on the mend. ❤️ It’s tough enough for kids her age to manage anxiety without the medical stuff. They just don’t have experience. I hug my daughter that age a lot and say “it’s ok to to have feels …. I was similar when I was your age … you’ll get better and calmer as you get older … I’m pretty sure this is going to be just fine.”

Sorry to hear this and encourage her to REGULARLY TEST her INR.
I had a TIA five years after my surgery due to low INR level!
Cause: I had not checked my INR for ten days before it happened, *wrongly presuming* my INR was within range!

Latest posts

Back