stress

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

NancyMVP

Do you think stress can cause the valve to become worse?
I'm under some personal stress and it concerns me.

Hi Nancy,
Based on what my Cardiologist told me, if the stress leads to high blood pressure it can. I'm on an ACE inhibitor (moniprel) which lowers my blood pressure and, according to the doc, takes the pressure off the valve and may allow my mitral valve to last longer before surgery can not be avoided. From what I've read taking an ACE inhibitor is fairly standard for people close to needing mitral valve surgery and wishing to prolong it. Hope this helps.
Frank

stress

Hi Frank,
I'm also taking an Ace Inhibitor. Accupril and they just doubled the dosage. I don't actually have high blood pressure.

I know what I have to do to eliminate my stress.

Hi Nancy! While there may be differing opinions, I do believe it can if there is much "fight or flight" anxiety involved with the stress which causes the heart to beat faster and possibly erratically, etc. If you have either stenosis or regurgitation, seems the heart would be working harder during these times to keep the blood flowing correctly. It's not necessarily the condition of the valve itself, but what type of damage may be happening to the heart as a result. I had aortic valve replacement 2-1/2 years ago due to a congenital bicuspid valve. Many live their entire lives with this condition and either never know they have it or never require surgery. I believe stress and the resultant anxiety possibly (no proof) did add to the problem scenario. Stress as we know can cause a lot of problems or exacerbate existing conditions. You may find you want to talk to a professional on what you can do to reduce your stress or react to it in a more satisfactory manner. I now use aromatherapy, meditation, reading, needlework, etc., all of which do help. Most of the time it is not the stress itself, but how we react to it (and I don't always react too well!). Good luck, Susan:cool:

STRESS

Nancy,

When I went to see my cardiologist for the first time.. My heart was REALLY screwed up! My son a college freshman, was driving over Wolf Creek Pass (an 8 hour drive) in the snow and ice to see his girlfriend every other weekend. There were problems within our family incorporation. Communication problems with my husband ... just all kinds of crazy things happening in my life. A really bad time for heart surgery! lol The cardiologist told me if I could eliminate all the stress in my life it would do me more good than all the meds he could prescribe. My blood pressure wasn't high and I didn't tell him I was stressed out either... ?? Kinda think it was the small talk with the nurse.. got back to him. :)

Sooo... I told my brothers I was resigning as the secretary of the Inc. (They wouldn?t let me) I ignored my husband (probably made it worse) I begged my son to stay in his dorm room and study (I was dreaming) lol But my attitude about what was important for the time being.. (ME) made a difference. I really decided my priority was going to be making Rain healthy. (I felt like I had to!) I didn?t let the other things affect me to the extent they had before. At the same time I started taking meds for the first time in my life for the heart condition. I started feeling so good I was SHOCKED when my cardio said okay ?it?s time for surgery? I didn?t wanna go! I was feeling so much better than I had in a long time!! I begged him to let me wait until my kids were out of school for the summer..... only tow months! But he kept saying, ?Sooner is better, Lorraine. Sooner is better? Yikes!! If I?d only known!! Wish I?d have had the surgery a couple YEARS sooner... knowing what I know now.

AVOID THE STRESS... When possible. I know it?s hard. But I think you?ll feel better. When I finally said, I don?t wanna hear it... sue me, get married, leave, whatever you guys have to do ? do it! Just leave me alone for a couple months.. Lemme have heart surgery...... then we?ll talk! I started feeling a LOT better!

Easier said than done... dang near impossible actually... but try... it really does help.

Best wishes,
Rain

stress

I guess no matter what we do we have some kind of stress in our lives. I've always managed to pace myself.
I'll be seeing my doctor on Wednesday and I'll get a better idea how long before I need surgery. I'm hoping not this year....
I went to the dentist today, good thing cause I have a cavity I'm not going to let my teeth waste away and cause any additional heart problems.
Its like having a baby no time is the right time lol,
Its the kind of thing that happens and everything else will just have to wait. I'll update everyone after wednesdays visit.
thanks Nancy

It is my firm belief that stress aggravates everything! I did not have valve replacement; I had bypass. The one thing I kept hearing in the hospital was 'avoid stress and anger'. Not an easy thing to do and I have had a few major stressful events to deal with plus one of anger that could not ever be dealt with and I felt its toll in a number of ways. I think those of us who have any sort of major illness need to be mindful of our emotions and try to keep them safe and calm. God bless.:)

Hello Nancy,

I strongly suspect that STRESS (combination of several personal stressors and a very cold winter) lead to my Heart Attack several years ago.

Many years, two angioplasties, and a triple ByPass later, I had two Atrial Fibrilation events this year. The first followed a regular treadmill workout. I tend to push my upper heart rate limit. My doctors have suggested backing off a bit. The second followed a stressful weekend of activity during a period of very high work related stress contemplating an early retirement offer and then trying to clear out my office and projects in 3 weeks. So yes, I believe STRESS is a factor.

After retiring, increasing symptoms of chest pain and shortness of breath on exertion lead to the discovery that I had moderate mitral and aortic valve calcification with mitral regurgitation and aortic stenosis. The doctors are still working to minimize my symptoms with medication. With further degeneration I fully expect to require aortic valve replacement and mitral valve repair or replacement.

'AL'

(by the way, I'm confused by the use of "lol"...all I can think of is
Lots of Luck but that doesn't always seem to fit the usage. Clarification appreciated.)

Stress

Stress

Stress is mean and nasty and I believe can be an underlying cause of many problems related to the heart and brain

A heart valve works because of the pressure that allows the blood to flow in and out of the heart. Stress can cause high blood pressure and create a magnitude of problems including overworking of the valve, enlarging of the heart and an increase of blood flow to the brain.

I think Susan's response hit the nail right on the heart (I mean head)

Controlling stress has always been a problem for me. I manage people's money for a living and for the last 15 months we have declined into a bear market. People's expectations run wild in good and bad markets and sometimes become unreasonable. But that's just me. I work too hard, sometimes.

lol

lol

Damn,

I thought it meant lots of love. All those times I thought I was getting a warm and fuzzy, they were actually laughing.

Lots of Laughs ???

Lots of Laughs ???

WOW!!

I have a twenty year old and an eighteen year old... I thought it meant "lots of laughs" :)

Rain

Here's a short list of shortcuts

Here's a short list of shortcuts

AFK = Away From Keyboard

BAK= Back at Keyboard

BRB= Be Right Back

BTW= By The Way

GMTA= Great Minds Think Alike

IMHO= In My Humble Opinion

LOL= Laughing Out Loud

OIC= Oh, I See

ROFL= Rolling on Floor, Laughing