Strep Throat

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc_kowal

Was diagnosed with strep this morning after having a sore throat since Thursday. I'm on amoxicillin for 10 days now. Can't wait to see what this does to my INR.

Be very mindful of that strep throat! Keep close tabs with your doctor and take your antibiotics as prescribed! Strep throats can lead to far more serious complications especially to anyone who's immune system is quite not up to par due to recent surgery.

Feel better soon!

You will probably see changes in your INR because of the antibiotics but getting the strep throat under control is of greater priority right now.

How often do you have your INR checked? It will probably be a week before you start seeing the changes in your INR.

Last edited:
I home test weekly, but I also have a script for lab testing I can always use if I don't want to blow through too many strips in a short period. Needle sticks don't bother me luckily.

Amoxicillin will do a little number on the INR, but a little temporary adjust, advised by medical personnel, you will be fine. It may take two weeks after you are through with the antibotics, before INR is back to normal. Take all of medication as directed so you can get rid of all infection. And I know from experience, strep throat is no fun getting over either. Get well soon. Hugs for today.

Have been on amoxycillin for 4 months now. In my case it seemed to have no effect on my INR (I home test weekly) but in the last month it has risen. My dose was 7mg daily now it has dropped to 6mg daily. There has been a hospital stay in the middle with vancomyicin and penicillin, so I can't even be certain of the effect being from the amoxycillin.

Sadly my view is that only by observation will you know in your own case.

Get strips online and save some substantial amount vs over the counter or use those prescriptions for a lab test. That might also give you the opportunity to compare your testing results with a lab.

Pellicle, I usually go to the lab once a month and have a blood draw, I then walk to the parking lot and use my home testing machine. I then compare the results to see how the InRatio2 compares to the lab and it's usually 0.2 - 0.5 points higher then the lab.

I usually go to the lab once a month and have a blood draw, I then walk to the parking lot and use my home testing machine.

good one!

I then compare the results to see how the InRatio2 compares to the lab and it's usually 0.2 - 0.5 points higher then the lab.

a user here called Pem once published this formula for normalising his readings from his InRatio, perhaps it may be of use to you:

I have a formula that allows me to predict almost perfectly what the lab result will be based on what the home meter result is. That formula, in case it is useful to someone else, is to take the meter result, raise it to the power of 0.85 (use a scientific calculator - the windows calculator has a scientific mode with X^Y as a function). The "Adjusted Home" line on the graph is based on this formula.

it may be that the coefficient needs to change in your case, but he found it consistent across strips and over time.

Bah, home tested this morning with a 2.1 (which means a lab draw could have been as low as 1.6. A little concerned, but I'll let my cardio know what's going on and I'm sure I'll be upping my meds tonight. Being this low doesn't make comfortable at all.

I would not be comfortable with an InRatio reported INR of 2.1, either. I'm sorry that I didn't know - until after my stroke - that the InRatio meters report higher than actual results.

How often do you test? When was your last test? Do you have any idea how long your INR might have been that low? Have you had any extra greens, or OTC medications, or something that may have quickly made your INR drop?

A year ago, I would have personally not bridged, if I had a 2.1 on my InRatio. I may do a bit differently today.

(Actually, today I am scheduled to have a Blood Draw. I'm going to test with my InRatio and my Coag-Sense before (or after) I go to the lab for the blood draw. This will probably be my last blood draw for a while, so I'll see how accurate the Coag-Sense is (compared to the lab), and probably move over to my new Coag-Sense meter. I may have a box of InRatio strips for sale, if anyone's interested...)

We ate out a few times since my last test so I had to guess on a few things but nothing else really changed. I did take some Coricidn nitetime cold syrup for a few days, but that should have been ok. My previous test was a 2.9 home test (checked against a 2.4 lab test).

Cardiologist office called and they said to take my normal 6 mgs tonight and instead of 4.5 tomorrow, take another 6 mgs. Re-test on Friday. Think I'll cut back on the K today a little too.

It's somewhat amazing what things may actually have an effect on the INR. I haven't looked to see what Coricidin Nitetime cold syrup has in it, but I wouldn't be too surprised if one of the ingredients (Guafanesin? or something else) may have a documented effect on INR. If you've stopped taking that cold syrup, and do the increase as your doctor advised, it sounds like you'll be just fine. And, because you're taking antibiotic for that strep throat, your INR will probably also go up. Next week, you may be reporting that your INR is TOO HIGH.

It's good to have your own meter.

Heh, actually the last time I was on amoxicillin. For a few days I dropped 0.5 points in 3 days. Who knows. I'm going to self test tomorrow and see where I'm at. Hopefully it's higher. If its the same or lower, I don't know what to do.

I'm going to self test tomorrow and see where I'm at. Hopefully it's higher. If its the same or lower, I don't know what to do.

keep a steady hand on the tiller (that'll be the tempered application changes of dose in responce to change in observed INR)
and a keen eye on the horizon (which will be appropriate INR sampling)

slow low dips are not as I understand it as dangerous as rapid fluctuations

Home tested this morning and I was at 2.5 so I feel a little better with that number. I'll be happy when its in the 3's again. My increased doseage is tonight and I'll cut back a little on the K today again.

INR from the lab draw yesterday was 2.9 so I feel a lot better now that I'm back in range. Re-test on Tuesday.

Back