Stopping bleeding.....suggestions???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipkid

I cut my chin shaving this morning. Was blessed (or cursed depending on your perspective) with a Kirk Douglas dimpled chin that can be a bear trying to shave in there. And this morning I stupidly changed the angle I was shaving at trying to get at some stubble in the dimple and ended up nicking part of it. Have done this before and never been a big deal, but now, on warfarin, it just will not heal. Been bleeding all day under a bandaid. Now I am trying to hold a tissue on it applying pressure, been 45 minutes so far, and if I remove the pressure it just starts up all over again. I have to work all weekend and really need this to stop by tomorrow morning b4 I go in....

What do the rest of you do to try to stop bleeds like this? Any suggestions?

Small nicks and bleeds used to happen to me when I used to use a safety razor although I can't remember one that bled as long as you describe. Try a stipic(sp?) pencil......or put a little gauze under the pressure bandaid and leave it on overnite and be careful when you remove the gauze. Neosynephrine applied to cotton balls works well for nose bleeds and it might work for a cut, altho I have never tried that.

Thanks. I had some gauze taped tightly to my chin for the last 3-4 hours, but I just took it off (was very uncomfortable and wanted to try something else) and it ripped open the cut area despite being as gentle and slow as possible when removing it (sigh). Right now I am trying some "liquid bandaid" which doesn't appear to be helping much but am going to give it some time.

I will try to get a styptic pencil tomorrow night after work. Wish I had thought of that earlier. Too late for me to go out now to try to buy one. If still bleeding all night & when I wake up I will just have to put gauze/bandaid back on it in the morning and go to work that way, which is going to be a huge hassle. Actually I will have to do that when I go to bed I guess, don't want to get the sheets all bloody. What a friggin' mess.

If the nick is deep you may just want to keep pressure there for a few minutes with just your fingers. Watch TV for a bit. Perhaps also some clean bit of gladwrap on your finger to prevent it sticking to your finger and keep? He wound cleaner. Did you swab with alcohol? Hurts like a bitch but constricts some blood vessels.

I don't seem to bleed long even with a fair scratch (from metal) even at INR ~ 2.7

What's your last INR reading? This may indicate you are high ... ?

slipkid;n855962 said:
I cut my chin shaving this morning...
how's it going?

did you check your INR?

wash pillow slips in cold water first ... increases the chances they'll come clean

I had to switch to bandages with non-stick surfaces. I found many cuts would restart when I pulled of the bandage that had stuck on. I also use a styptic pencil and it works. I have some styptic powder for the dog, but have yet to try it.

Sorry for not replying, been busy. Thanks for the responses.

My INR was OK (around 2.2 or 2.1, I forget exactly). The approved range for my On-X heart valve is now 1.5 to 2.0 btw.

The plastic skin/bandaid did the trick. Blood continued to pool up under that but eventually stopped overnight, or at least it couldn't leak out all over the place like it was doing with the bandaid. I did also buy some styptic pencil things as well to try next time. In any case is totally healed now (several weeks later!).

For the future, you may try changing razors. I use the Gilette pivot? - the one that moves to accommodate irregularities in your facial structure. I found that, for me, it's the only razor that safely lets me shave right under my nostrils without cutting my upper lip. This may help with a kirk Douglas chin.

I'm glad to hear that you got this resolved. (Hey, you haven't lived until you had a tooth pulled and it seeped for hours).

I went to the Harry's site after reading bocco's post. Yes, their stuff is quite interesting. I just signed up for their 'club' and I'm getting 8 razors every two months -- just FWIW, with this particular plan, when you sign up, they'll also throw in the razor handle. They will also take it all back if you don't like it.

For me, it was worth a try.

Latest posts

Back