Stockings

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Hi All,

A quick question - how long after surgery is one required to wear stockings? I'm 4 weeks post surgery this Wednesday.

Cheers.

Phil.

I never had to wear them at all. How soon after surgery did they get you out of bed? How active are you now?

Debbie

I never had them at all after my first surgery in 2004, only noticed them on CABG surgery patients.
After my second surgery in 2011 I had them for the 5 days that I was in hospital following surgery, I was advised I didn't need them after this.

Phil - What? You didn't like the fish-nets? They could have chosen another pattern for you. . .

Honestly, I was given the support stockings after surgery, and wore them for a couple of weeks. I think they told me to wear them until I no longer noted swelling of my legs and feet.

I believe I wore mine for about 1 month. Not sure if I really needed them or not, but I followed the surgeons orders. It was hard for me to bend over the first few days so my wife had to put them on me and take them off....she just loved that.

I believe I wore mine for about 1 month. Not sure if I really needed them or not, but I followed the surgeons orders. It was hard for me to bend over the first few days so my wife had to put them on me and take them off....she just loved that.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I start cardiac rehab on Monday and will ask them. Today is one month since surgery and I suspect I could ditch them, but I'll wait until next week. All seems to be going well - I've cut back on pain medication (I take 2 Panadol at night and 2 when I wake up), am walking heaps (still a bit slow) and sometimes managing to not have an afternoon nap. I did some light gardening yesterday and vacuuming both of which caused no sternum pain, although, I still get pain in bed in my neck and around my collar bones - this is a time thing. I'm looking forward to rehab and getting fitter and having a bit more structure to my life. Lastly, my warfarin testing is being spaced out more as my INR seems to be within range. The last 3 tests have been 2.4, 2.5 and 2.5. So all in all things are pretty good as I hope they are for everybody else.

All the best.

Phil.

I was instructed to wear them for two weeks post discharge...I get to lose them on Saturday!

I was told to wear them at night when sleeping in bed for two weeks post discharge. I was 54 and with no leg or vein problems.

I used to, and still occasionally do, wear a stocking on my left leg for pushing down the mild lymphedema caused by my cancer surgery to remove lymph nodes, but I didn't have to wear anything as a result of my heart surgery. I suppose it may be needed for those who had swelling in the legs before surgery?

I was told to wear the stockings for two weeks after surgery to replace my aortic valve. The reason being, that I didn't see mentioned here yet, was they were supposed to help prevent blood clots from forming in the legs. That info alone had me wearing them just like I was told. I had no problem removing them to take a shower but putting them back on was a pain.

Mail man

Back