stitch coming out

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

William

I recently (7 weeks ago) had an operation for a hernia resulting where the draining tube was for my OHS. I now seen a white stitch sticking out from the area. I've got an appointment to see the surgeon about this on Tuesday. Has any one had a similar experience with stitches? Will

Sorry I can't help you, but glad to hear that you are getting it looked at. Hope it all works out for you.

Michelle

Not sure if it would be the same for a hernia operation, but after AVR, Dick had a black stitch protruding from his chest. Surgeon said they were soluble stitches that just came to the surface and of no concern as long as the area didn't become infected. After a few weeks, it easily pulled out.

Hi!
I had the same problem. A few weeks after my surgery I noticed at the top of my incision there was a white stitch showing through the scab. I asked my surgeon about it, and he said it was just the subcutaneous stitch that was supposed to reabsorb. He said my body didn't like it and was just spitting it out! He took it out and it was no big deal. He said not to worry because there was enough stitches holding my incision together that by taking these out it wouldn't be a problem. I noticed some more showing a few days after that and removed them myself. I had some stitch removing scissors, so I'm not sure what would work. But don't worry about it! Your incision won't come apart, I promise. :)

Liza

Don't worry

Don't worry

I had the same experience with an injury to my knee. I has about twenty internal stiches on my knee and right before the external stiches were to be removed I noticed a white string protruding from my knee. I almost fainted because I thought it was a worm when I first saw it! It was just a disposable stich that was suppose to dissolve. My doctor said sometimes they just work themselves out.

As we speak, a white "thread" is sticking out of my chest incision. More and more of it has been coming to the surface in the past week. Like Liza, I'm not worried about it and am just going to snip it off.

I think it should be included in information sheets about surgery because it happens so often. Just keep the area clean and try not to pull on it. I clipped mine off but I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending that to someone else.

bvdr said:
I think it should be included in information sheets about surgery because it happens so often. Just keep the area clean and try not to pull on it. I clipped mine off but I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending that to someone else.
But pulling on it is the fun part. Kinda like pealing off dead skin after you get a sunburn. :eek:

John

i had one thread stitch for my incision draining tube and since i did not have my follow up with my surgeon until 4 weeks post op....i snipped it and took it out...it started to heal over the stitch so i took care of it. i had one thread stitch from my right lung tube that came undone and since the cut was already scabbed and healed....i just took it out. i did notice a white stitch...the soluble stitch in my main incision...and waited until i saw my surgeon....his assistant said that it was no problem...very common occurance...and pulled it right out. then i got the clearance to take off all of the adhesive stuff they put on the main incision...that was used instead of stitches on the outside....now that was fun...lol none of it hurt at all. if it looks like the incisions are healing over the stitch i would take it out...but if it is still healing...wait until you talk to your surgeon or go in for the follow up.

Back