Still having lots of pain and depression 6 weeks post-op....any ideas?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly for Patrick, but also anyone else post-AVR - I had my second AVR last year (mechanical valve this time) and about two weeks post-op I went from feeling fine to hardly being able to walk 100m. I had run a 12km race the week before my op so I was hardly unfit . . . turns out there is a little secret about new mechanical valves that we don't seem to be told . . . .

Mechanical valves, when they are new, smash the bejesus out of our red blood cells and will continue to do so until they form a 'slime layer'. Therefore it's not unusual for those of us with new mech valves to get very anemic. My hemoglobin dropped to 85 (normally 115-140) and I was totally exhausted. I was typed and crossmatched for a transfusion and then my hemoglobin started to rise so I scrapped the transfusion - but if you're feeling breathless then the smashing of your red blood cells may be the explanation!

More steaks for you! :)

Thanks Ski Girl....that's interesting to know....I don't need any extra incentive to eat more Steak :). ....but its an excellent excuse.

It evidently takes longer than I had hoped to get over this open heart surgery. (mine was 9 months ago ) My advice is to read all the discharge papers they send home with you, follow it as close as you can. I had a very active lifestyle before surgery including, hard physical work, chain sawing, wood splitting, riding off road motorcycles, ect. All of this stuff will keep your chest, ribs, back, neck irritated, along with the opening sliding glass doors, sweeping, vacuuming, raking leaves, pushing, pulling, lifting, rolling under the car to change oil, all these things were a piece of cake before, now the cause of all sorts of pain. I took the 36 cardiac rehab sessions, walk 2 miles a day, sit ups, push ups, whatever else may make me stronger. Sometimes you will wonder if it is making you stronger, or tearing you back down. I`m not ready to give up and lay down and die, so I suggest to keep trying, never give up. Keep fighting the depression too. Seems like it comes and goes every few days. Thats my plan anyway, just don`t over do it and be patient. (thats much easier said or typed than done) Some things we done before like extreme off road riding may have to be replaced with a lower impact hobby. We all wish you well and feel free to post here in this forum anytime. You are not alone!

OMG-I feel the same as robertlw--it has been almost 8 months since my surgery! I really thought I would snap back rather quickly--I was in excellent physical shape before surgery and was asymptomatic. I felt like I had been hit by a mac truck, 8 weeks later thrown under a bus, then dragged down a very bumpy road! Finally I am starting to feel like myself again! It just takes time. I am totally amazed at those of you who were able to run 6 weeks after surgery--I don't know how you did it, my chest still hurts! I have learned to appreciate the little things in life --like breathing without oxygen tanks.(Just one of my little setbacks). Life is good --and keeps getting better each day.

Back