Still have moderate leak

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2legs

I had AVR surgery 8-7-12. My surgeon told me that there was more calcification then they had thought and couldn't remove it all and still be able to survive the surgery. I got a Medtronics Mosaic Porcine Valve. It had to be sewn to calcified tissue so I still have a moderate insufficiency. It was severe pre-surgery. Is there anyone else out there living with this problem. My cardiologist is going to give me another echo in June. They keep telling me it will be OK but can't help feeling like I kind of got the short end of the stick with this surgery. I am not really sure if anything can be done about this or what the condition of my aorta is where they had to cut it because it sounds like it was serverely calcified also. I hope someone here can give me some encouraging info. Thanks for listening.:confused2:

Suggest asking your cardio for a TEE instead of an echo. It will show more details than a regular echo.
I have some regurge around my St. Jude. After my annual echo in 2007, my cardio ordered a TEE. I changed cardios in 2009, and when I saw the new doctor after having my echo, he ordered a TEE. He compared the 2 TEEs and said it was stable.

Many people with valve replacements -- tissue and mechanical -- do have some regurge, and it does not bother them. It's just something to keep tabs on and a TEE does it better than an echo.

My surgeon moved my aortic valve up along the aorta to avoid using the tissue from 2 previous valve replacements. I didn't know this could be done. Maybe this is what you need.

Latest posts

Back