sternum wires

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrick

Hi, I'm having my sternum wires removed on Friday due to irritation

currious to know what I'm in for do they cut down the original incision scar, put in another cut beside it or put in a cut at each wire ?

Just read some old posts and looks like they cut down the old scar and it's no picnic.... hoping to go back to work on Monday lol

thanks

Hi

I've had my top two taken out twice (once in 1993, the other time in 2012)

Lets leave the 2012 surgery out of this as that involved a lot more.

The wires I had out were essentially a small incision made at where each wire was and it was essentially nipped (with side cutters) and yanked out (with pliers).

I was home the next day and there was no more problem than just a typical skin cut which required 3 or 4 stitches (which I had taken out about 1 or 2 weeks later)

so, essentially a non issue for me

I hope yours goes as smoothly

pellicle;n869797 said:
Hi

I've had my top two taken out twice (once in 1993, the other time in 2012)

Lets leave the 2012 surgery out of this as that involved a lot more.

The wires I had out were essentially a small incision made at where each wire was and it was essentially nipped (with side cutters) and yanked out (with pliers).

I was home the next day and there was no more problem than just a typical skin cut which required 3 or 4 stitches (which I had taken out about 1 or 2 weeks later)

so, essentially a non issue for me

I hope yours goes as smoothly

Thanks, to be honest I'm more way more anxious now than I was before my AVR not quite sure why,

even had nightmares that they find something wrong when they do the CT, once bitten twice shy i guess ..

Hi

Warrick;n869798 said:
Thanks, to be honest I'm more way more anxious now than I was before my AVR not quite sure why,
... once bitten twice shy i guess ..

probably exactly that!

I'm sure it'll go well ... myself I think the wires in the upper part are the worst and I'm glad they are out of me too (even if it was harder this time).

I had some knotted wires removed a few months back. Like pellicle, it was a small incision and wires were snipped and extracted. I can still feel other wires but I think I'm stuck with them. No biggie.

Warrick;n869798 said:

even had nightmares that they find something wrong when they do the CT, once bitten twice shy i guess ..
I TOTALLY get that. Had a blood test today and got really worked up.
I'm freaking out at the thought of the echo due in late November.
I'm bitter and twisted about being yoked to the cardiologists and tests indefinitely.

I had preadmission clinic today at the hospital, came out of there more confused than when I went in

first it was they are only taking out the top two wires and then I was told to ask the registrar who didn't know.. 4 are bugging me

then it was they will cut out the old scar next one told me they will just cut at each wire.. didn't see the surgeon who's actually doing it though

told not to alter warfarin or asprin at all, INR was 3.0 last friday so have taken it on myself to get it down closer to 2.0 without it plumetting so was 2.6 tonight

best thing about the whole episode was the anaethetist doctor who was at my AVR went thru the echo I had 5 weeks ago and my heart has completely returned to normal from the enlarged left ventrical from the regurgitation, which he said rarely happens, now i just need to worry about cholesterol and clogged arteries :)

Hey

Warrick;n869820 said:
I had preadmission clinic today at the hospital, came out of there more confused than when I went in

so, this makes it clear why "mistakes" never happen in hospitals ... cos noone has a fucking clue what should have happened, it wasn't a mistake.

just make sure they're not shaving around your nuts ... at pre surgical prep ...

first it was they are only taking out the top two wires and then I was told to ask the registrar who didn't know.. 4 are bugging me

then it was they will cut out the old scar next one told me they will just cut at each wire.. didn't see the surgeon who's actually doing it though

those don't seem mutually exclusive ... they will cut through the old scar, but only at the points where they wires are ...

told not to alter warfarin or asprin at all, INR was 3.0 last friday so have taken it on myself to get it down closer to 2.0 without it plumetting so was 2.6 tonight

seems reasonable to me ... my opinion on this is that if you just half your dose in the lead up your INR will drop and you won't be "un-anti-coagulated" ... sure your INR will probably be about 1.5 but that's actually not a dangerous level (given what I know about you and your valve) for a short time (like a week).

best thing about the whole episode was the anethatist doctor who was at my AVR went thru the echo I had 5 weeks ago and my heart has completely returned to normal from the enlarged left ventrical from the regurgitation, which he said rarely happens, now i just need to worry about cholesterol and clogged arteries :)

well that is good news :)

Best Wishes ... hope they don't cut out something wrong while you're out ...

[video]https://storage.googleapis.com/vidsums/8e07fbc0-10bd-4502-ac9a-1a61dfab69f0.mp4[/video]

I had sternum wires removed more that 20 years after OHS. Two wires worked their way to the surface, poking their way through the scar. I had a total scar revision. I stayed one night in the hospital and had a lot of pain for the first 24 hours or so, but survived.

pickaback2;n869861 said:
I had sternum wires removed more that 20 years after OHS. Two wires worked their way to the surface, poking their way through the scar.
Looks at wires, looks at pliers. Were you tempted, even for a second?

My wires bothered me ALOT the first few years after surgery and then the poking/pain settled down. I have a feeling I willed myself for it to get better. Didn't want anymore surgery. :)
Good luck with everything. Will keep you in my most positive thoughts.

Agian;n869864 said:
Looks at wires, looks at pliers. Were you tempted, even for a second?
I've lanced and drained my own wound here in Finland (you should have seen the faces on the pharmacy staff when I explained what the obviously surgical materials were for)

But pulling the wires ... hell I've done some fencing and I'd reckon I'd need someone else to pull on them (after I'd guzzled half the bottle of vodka and he poured the rest over before, during and after).

Have you seen "Black Sails" the TV show? The John Silver leg amputation scene is a bit gripping.

It would be a great prank to play on the local Emergency Department. Pouring fake blood all over your shirt and walking in clutching rusty pliers and bits of wire 'Sorry, but I think I fucked up.'

Agian;n869891 said:
It would be a great prank to play on the local Emergency Department. Pouring fake blood all over your shirt and walking in clutching rusty pliers and bits of wire 'Sorry, but I think I fucked up.'

That would be farkin hilarious..

Well just got home and yep pretty sore but pleased it's done, didn't get into theatre till 4.30pm yesterday and woke up at 6.10pm, INR was 2.5 when I went in and 2.1 this morning so bang goes the horrendous amount of bleeding myth.
The surgeon put in 2 incisions and removed all 8 wires, so it's all glued and covered up now with a long term dressing until the 18th november

That's great. The wires only hold it together temporarily, whilst the bone heals. No need for them after that.

Thanks for the kind words Fred :)

Good to read the procedure is done for you. Got to admit it kind of freaked me out reading the posts but there was some humor mixed in. Time to heal now and take care.

Latest posts

Back