Sternum Pressure from Thoracic Aneurysm?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Thief

I sent the following message to my cardiologist:
I feel a dull pressure directly under my sternum. I feel it most when I breathe in deep. I would not categorize it as pain. I feel it often but not always. Is this because of my 4.6cm Thoracic aneurysm putting pressure on it's surroundings? Does this represent any additional danger?

Her response:
It may or may not be from the aneurysm.
If you develop any kind of pain, then would recommend you come into the ER or call 911.
Take care.

Has anyone out there experienced this symptom pre-AVR surgery? What have your docs said about it? Thanks!

Sorry to hear that your having this issue. Post AVR at 2 months I feel pressure (no Pain) and my surgeon believes it will go away with time. Good Luck

Last edited:
My mom stalks me on this site :) and saw this post. She thinks it is stress. At this stage, it is very difficult to tell what is anxiety and what is a potential cardiac symptom.

I'm afraid my mother may stalk me across the internet, too. I just don't know about it....

Seriously, anxiety is common, even normal. This can all be a bit scary. If you are concerned, maybe ask for another echo to read the size of your aneurism. And if it's not critical, you might want to check out some anti anxiety meds. Waiting for surgery, for the time to be "right" is pretty hard.

.... At this stage, it is very difficult to tell what is anxiety and what is a potential cardiac symptom.

Very true!!

Take care. You will be ok.

PD: I had to look for STALK in the dictionnary. This forum improves my vocabulary!

My aneurysm was 5.1cm and I had no symptoms that I could relate to the aneurysm. I always had occasions where my heart would flutter briefly, and this was much more frequent before my surgery, or at least I noticed it a lot more. Perhaps this was anxiety. You should mention your symptoms to your to your surgeon as well. If an aneurysm presents symptoms, that is generally an indication for surgery.

When I was waiting for the operation, after I had been told it was time for it, I developed stomach and lower chest pain. I asked my cardio if it was due to my BAV. He said it was probably heartburn due to stress. He was right, once I set my date, chose the surgeon and valve type, the pain disappeared.

Some aneurysm do give pain, very severe and debilitating pain, as they expand and push against a nerve, this is common I believe in abdominal aneurysms. My father had one that did this. Also, when I was in the hospital for colon surgery, there was a man on my ward who went in to his chiro for a severe back pain, he was on the operating table within hours for an abdominal aneurysm that was pushing against a nerve. I have never heard this about aortic ones though, maybe there are no big nerves in the area.

I can tell you that I had a couple of issues that were probably stress related. I wasn't happy at the time with the Dr, as I got the same response "Go to the ER... etc". I guess I expected more from him. In hindsight, he was probably right. If it's bad enough, get to the ER and have it looked at. For me, a good nights sleep and I was better the next day.

I've had pressure/pain below my sternum and a constricting feeling in my throat for about a month, my surgery, scheduled for Oct. 18, was postponed because my surgeon was out sick, the sensations in my chest and throat went away immediately.

I would just like to comment on my own post, months later, after actually receiving AVR, I realize that this chest pressure was caused by anxiety.... back to recovery!

Back