Staying the Course...til we meet again....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Well, of course we are hardy folks and will keep staying our respective courses. However, I think maybe checking in weekly to Staying the Course here may have run its course. Interest seems to have dwindled considerably. I suggest we shift to "Small Talk" for any continuing observations. Hank might want to consider dropping "Throwdowns" because it has lost its original connotation of a throwdown weight-loss competition. Thoughts.

All best to all....Bob

You are not the boss, SB??? Just kidding you , as you may not be the boss but you are the inspiration that keeps this part of the forum going.

Probably alright that it moves over there but it will not be the same for me. Even when my exercise has been has been nothing but on and off since my second surgery, I would read your posts and they would always get my mind off my helplessness and on to what I will be trying when normal returns to my life.

I am glad you explained the throw down part also as I was probably mistaken in posting too much day to day going ons. small talk I guess it is. (I know all about throw ups though, just so you know, lol)

Please know i have and will always appreciate what you have done to help us all.

Thanks jwinter and Steve. I know I've gone back and forth on this. Interest seems to wax and wane. Waffling again, I think I will try to post something each Monday and let the responses come as they will. "Small Talk" seems not nearly as lively as it once was. I think I got into a funk with the hurricanes impact last September and then my wife's life-threatening fall. (She continues to progress.) Hopefully I can be more positive in my opening comments going forward and if we have just a small group of regulars that's okay. And if our ranks grow again, that would be great. I write for my blog so I might as well continue this as part of my usual rambiings.

Hi folks.

t does seam that activity is slowing down. Suspect it is characteristic of those of us who have gone through the heart valve thing. We get diagnosed with a heart valve issue. It terrifies many of us. We look for information and support. This forum served the need for many of us who needed both. The people that provide that become friends. Friends because we share something in common and are nice to each other. We then get treated, fixed, and/or repaired. We then heal. We become a supported for others who stop by needing information and support. But, some of us come back because we have established friendship. We like each other. We want the best for each other. We care. But coming back does remind us of our heart journey.

I will admit, there are many days that I just want to forget about heart disease. I want to forget about being unhealthy, taking pills, attending appointments, getting tested, checked, and echo. I don't want to worry about eating healthy, managing weight, getting exercise and if I can hike up a 14,000 ft mountain. I want to be live, love, and think like a healthy person. So, my return visits are less frequent. I try out life like I never been here before. When I do, there is something I miss.

I come back. Not to get reminded that I need to loose weight or deal with heart issues. I come back to see if others need help and to find out how my 'heart friends' are doing. Sometimes I come back because I'm lonely and want my online heart friends to help me deal with being lonely. I don't want to loose these friends. They are important to me. I miss them.

Not sure if my contribution to others in need of information, support or just plain friendliness has been enough. There are times that I feel guilty that I have taken more than I have given. But, I do know this. If this forum goes away or all the folks on it decide to not return for their own valid reasons, I will miss them.

Given that, Superbob, the link to your blog does not work. Can you provide a good link? I'll try to update my profile to provide a link to my blog. It is not a professional looking as Superbob's, but is may be a way to stay in touch with me if this forum goes south.

Thanks everyone for being a friend,
Fred

Hum, do I dare to edit that last post? I think not. The first letter is missing... put an "I" before the "t does..."

Superbob;n886690 said:
...I know I've gone back and forth on this. Interest seems to wax and wane. .

for what its worth, my view is that you should just do it as you wish to. It has to be "organic" and not forced nor "an obligation". It doesn't matter if its irregular (and it matters less if you put it in small talk or right here)

Best Wishes

SB, hope to keep this going here but realistically it must be a group effort. I don't post every week, too tired after my 12 hour work/commute days.
I set a goal of only 2 miles a day of walking and/or running and I'm already behind. And I can't blame it on the rain even though I would like to. I'm only about 10 miles behind so will try to make it up. The annual Run Through The Vineyards is coming up so I better get it together because that's a tough run if you're out of shape.
No change in weight, still bouncing around a couple pound range but at least it's not going up.
We're planning vacations this year and will need to decide where to go hiking in July for our wedding anniversary. I would also like to do a few other weekends locally. Maybe do parts of the Pacific Crest Trail. If I can't run the trails I'll do what I can.
SB, don't give up on us. I'll make an effort to post more often.

Appreciate the responses. Run Through the Vineyards sounds like a cool race. Wine afterwards? Fred, love your expression of personal philosophy as always. I think when you can hike tall mountains you deserve to think like a healthy person. Live life, enjoy! You asked about my blog -- they tried to impose a ridiculous fee for keeping my domain name, so I closed it out (after saving five years if posts) and am switching to a free one at Weebly. It's still under construction -- when I have time to make it presentable, I will give the new link. Thanks for the interest. Good to hear from al of you.

So we write, we post, but rare is the Courser brave enough to try to edit his or her vr.org post, eh? lol Certainly not me. ; )

MartinF;n886699 said:
... Maybe do parts of the Pacific Crest Trail. If I can't run the trails I'll do what I can.

Martin, I'm sure you have done your research on the PCT and have plenty of information from it. My son attempted to hike the whole trail last year and made it 1,100 miles before being forced off trail due to an injury. (One needs to be able to walk to finish the trail). If you want pointers to his adventure, message me and I'll send links. Hiking in nature's playgrounds is a great way to keep in shape. I believe in the saying:" Hike your own hike." My problem is that I'm still trying to figure out what "my own hike" is. :)

FredW;n886692 said:
Hum, do I dare to edit that last post? I think not. The first letter is missing... put an "I" before the "t does..."

your post was excellent Fred, not worth the risk losing it due to an edit
Comes across as heartfelt , made my day that as :)

Superbob i always enjoy your Ramblings, i would still like to see your posts even if they are few and far between

Appreciate your appreciation of my Ramblings, leadville. As Pellicle suggested, I won't take it as an obligation, but I hope to keep this old soul fired up and able to keep posting regularly. I agree about Fred's post -- lots of food for thought. A lot about course-staying is our frame of mind -- our attitude, our outlook. Stay positive. Live young. That's why my exercise class (which I prattle on about so much) is so important to me. And our annual Heart Walk. Don't think my bionic self could climb any mountains but I ought to look for some more challenges. Maybe the annual Senior Games in SC. Softball throw or free-throw shooting might be my strengths.

leadville;n886702 said:
your post was excellent Fred, not worth the risk losing it due to an edit

Witness:
PeacefulMelodicArthropods-size_restricted.gif

we who have taken hits in action share witness

and Superbob continue to live long and prosper mate

So it's been a good week. Lots of spontaneity -- opening up to the world. So going forward, let's just post when the mood strikes. No obligation, no pressure, no close-order drill, no roll calls....Some weeks we might have just a few posts, some we might have dozens. Do the course your way. Cheerio.

Latest posts

Back