Staying the Course: Merry Month of May 2021 Edition

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
VR.org Supporter
Greetings, fellow Coursers, wherever you may be. Been a while. Wonder if my bright idea of doing a starter post just once a month might be having the unintended effect of causing STC to wither on the vine. Maybe if there is interest, I will try to refresh semi-weekly or perhaps weekly.

April showers bring May flowers, huh? Well, we fell into drought conditions hereabouts this April. Hope thunderstorms next week bring some relief. Yards look like they are in July stress already. Of course, hurricane season begins in a few weeks, but that is a harsh way to get the water tables caught up. Twenty or 30 inches of rain in a day or two is no help to anyone.

Much of my time lately has been consumed in dealing with a family crisis. Can't provide details online. Suffice to say that retirement does not always bring a life of ease, free from refereeing or moderating. Things do seem to be heading toward a better place now.

Today the local farmers market opened up and DW and I bought tomatoes, corn, green beans, squash, baby potatoes, cucumbers and such. One farm-family trucks in the veggies and berries (oh yeah we got strawberries too) and melons, and we've gotten to be good friends with them over the past 10 years. So between now and October, we'll happily go to market every Saturday and then go a favorite restaurant like the Mexican one we enjoyed today.

Okay, we have some medical stuff on our calendar but I'll spare details for now. A Facebook friend was about to have her fourth open-heart surgery, only to have doctors discover after she had been prepped for surgery that her valve is working okay after all. Wow and whew! Maybe she'll write something about this remarkable adventure and if so I'll ask her permission to post it here.

Well, let's hear what you're up to and what's going on. I have missed your company.

Cheers,
Superbob
🦸‍♂️🦸‍♀️

Superman

Can’t believe you’ve already got farmers markets opening up down your way. Also, how does one get all the way to surgery prep and hear, “Just kidding!”? We’re they scheduled for April 1st? If so - that joke wins!

Just the beginnings of blossoms up here. We have tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, and other early spring flowers. Flowering trees are underway as well.

Spent the weekend getting our little backyard pond summer ready. We rebuilt it last year and I’ve got all the filtration going and the waterfall. Still clearing out the water (a little dark from leaves and other debris). The frogs have moved in for their spring orgy. But today I say a 2 ft garter snake in the pond. Huge for these parts. Hope it takes care of the frogs and not our fish. Not easy to catch. Also got the lawn irrigation fired up. Had to free up three sprinkler heads that were sodded over. Looks like two others need replacing. One doesn’t rotate. The other doesn’t spray at all.

The class I teach is done for the term so it’s nice to be down to one job. But soccer is in full swing. AP exams for my older kids. My oldest has two weeks left of school then well move him back home.

Just busy times. Still trying to workout. We’ve been able to run outdoors in the nice weather. This is the season it’d be nice to suspend the Peloton, but then it rains or the hips don’t like running, and it’s good to have.

Hope we hear from a lot of folks. Thanks for always starting the conversation!

Beach77

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
Thank you Superbob for starting this! Yikes for your friend with the prep for her surgery, then having them cancel it! That will be interesting to hear about!

It was a sunny morning but turned a little cloudy/chilly in the afternoon here. The first part of the week was in the 90’s, then today only 60’s. It was my 2nd full week into retirement, and it’s been a busy 2 weeks!

At the end of the week, we’ll be going camping to the eastern Sierra’s. I’m super excited to see how I do on our hikes! I’m post-op 5 mo for my BAV replacement.

Have a great month everyone!

skeptic49

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
Philadelphia, PA and Cherry Grove, Fire Is. NY
Good to see this thread again Superbob. This time of the year we're transitioning from the city home to the beach cottage. There is lots of work to do at the cottage to get it ready to enjoy during the summer months. We also have returned to indoor dining at a few select favorite restaurants where the number of diners is limited and the servers wear masks. It feels good to start to return to some of our pre-pandemic routines. Lets hope society can continue to progress in our battle against Covid.

MartinF

Checking in, still working at home when I have nothing to do in the lab. Only 8 weeks to go until they lay me off.
Not getting as much exercise as I need due to working on our rental house. It's almost finished and hopefully it's done this weekend. Last Friday I was working on the house and it was over 100 degrees out. This weekend will be cooler.
Here in Orange County we're doing well with the virus. I think we're over the hump. It's starting to get "normal" around here.
Happy Cinco de Mayo today!

Luckyguy17

VR.org Supporter
thanks for the posting superbob, nice to read about AVR folks living normal lives and going about their business.
we become so self centred when undergoing surgery and procedures.
Finally a sunny day here, even though still cool. Awfully good for morale Today after 3 cool morose days

MartinF

Beach77, saw you're hiking in the eastern Sierras. My wife and I go up every year for our anniversary and do hikes in Lone Pine, Bishop and Mammoth. I hope to make some trips soon. We used to run races in Lone Pine (marathon) and Bishop (50K) in our younger days. Martin

Beach77

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
Beach77, saw you're hiking in the eastern Sierras. My wife and I go up every year for our anniversary and do hikes in Lone Pine, Bishop and Mammoth. I hope to make some trips soon. We used to run races in Lone Pine (marathon) and Bishop (50K) in our younger days. Martin
That's cool you did the runs up there! Beautiful place to celebrate your anniversary! We lived in Bishop for 5 years (1995). We've done quite a few hikes but no races. Lone Pine area has some pretty wonderful hikes! We'll have a day trip or two down there! We'll be camping on Silver Lake, June Lake loop.