Staying the Course -- June 1, 2020

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Wouldn't it be nice if we could go back to New Year's Eve 2019, push a reset button and then start 2020 all over again? But we have no Back to the Future scenario, so we have to go forward and do the best we can. The first of June, I hoped, would be a fresh start.

And then I went over to check on the house my daughter has purchased for a move here (we hope) within a month. The house is empty and I go over to check on it twice a day, leaving some lights on at night. Tonight around 8 I got a real surprise: There were intruders inside! Thoughts flashed through my mind as to how I might have to try to defend myself, but turned out to be a teen-age boy and a teen-age girl, maybe 16 to 18 years old, who fled when they heard me coming and jumped out an open first-floor window after I yelled ("what the hell are you doing here!"). They may have found an unlocked window to get in or perhaps one of them was skinny enough to squeeze through an open doggie-door that had been ripped out by a previous intruder.

Called the police and they sent three officers in three separate cars. Checked out the house with me. Of course they wanted a complete description but all I had was fleeting images of them high-tailing it out the window. I could tell them approx age, the apparent race (both white), and that the guy was on tall side with dark hair. Oh and when I pulled up in the driveway, I saw a teen girl in a pink outfit hanging out by the back fence, her face in her phone. Thought she was just a meandering teen, but now realize she was probably their lookout.

What were the two doing inside? Maybe they thought there was something to steal. Maybe they wanted to smoke pot. Maybe they had hanky-panky in mind. I don't know. But it was disturbing. It's not mere trespassing, it is breaking and entering. But maybe some young people don't know about legal boundaries, or care -- or haven't been taught right from wrong at home.

(Working on getting a handyman to help shore up security.)

All I know is that my heart had a stress test today (as though there wasn't enough stress in the world already). The good news is that the ticker passed the test.

Hope your courses are much more pleasant this first of June.

Cheers,
Superbob
🦸‍♂️

We were tailgating in the usual parking lot tonight for our Tuesday night run and when we got there some of the stores were boarded up. One of the guys said he heard there was a planned protest there but it didn't happen. So we did our run and broke out the lawn chairs and ordered food at the local restaurant. A police SUV cruised around the parking lot and it seemed like several vehicles cruised by to check us out. We've been there for the past 2 months so not out of place. A few minutes later we heard sirens and at least 7 police SUVs came flying by over a few minute period heading away. We heard there was something going on in Laguna Beach. Even had a fire engine go by later. Crazy world.
Weight has stabilized to around 174. Would like to get to 170 but will need to exercise more to do it. Still walking or running almost every day.
Our area is opening up with restaurants allowing dining in. No more take out margaritas! We ate out (patio dining) at Pita Pita last night. They're a small Greek food restaurant. Getting more toward normal.
Went into work yesterday and maybe tomorrow. The company said work from home if possible thru June. My job can't be done completely at home. I bet this will continue thru the end of summer.
Everyone stay safe and healthy.

We've eaten in at a few of our favorite restaurants in the past few weeks (with distance between tables), but eating out on porches has been a nice experience (during nice weather, obviously). And take-out margaritas -- wow, that has been one silver lining.

Pretty bummed about no longer being in core fitness class. Kind of self-isolated myself, given virus risk for my advanced age. Hopefully I can return before too long. Still walking my dog every day -- she sees to that.

Will try to look on the bright side more while staying the course. Thanks for your positive report, Martin.

I live in the Minneapolis area so it’s been interesting. But I’m down in Chicago dealing with stressful eldercare issues. Hubs and kids up in Minneapolis. Then the normal Covid Stuff. Augh!! At least things seem to be calming down and our community is very strong with lots of volunteerism and the desire to make things better. So I’m hopeful. Even though lack of salons is revealing the gray hair I’m getting from all this.

Sorry to read about the break in, SB. At least no damage was done, but still a violation of personal security. Nothing compared to what some areas are going through right now, but still no excuse for it.

We seem to be getting used to our little bubble. Call it Stockholm Syndrome. Getting our workouts through Peloton (which I’m enjoying more than my old spin classes primarily because of the playlists), Les Mills workouts through their app on the Amazon Firestick, and finally back to outdoor running weather. The Les Mills program includes all the same classes we used to do at the gym. Between the bike and access to content, we’re paying the same per month as we did at the gym. Just no pool, but who knows when they’ll dare open that up again.

Just when the office was starting to reopen, we had some demonstrations and property damage in the area. They said for safety, just keep working remote. I don’t say, “rioting” not to excuse the behavior, but because our smaller city doesn’t compare to what’s going on in bigger cities.

My wife works in healthcare. Might be a while before we’re comfortable dining out again. We didn’t a lot before anyway. She is ready to get back to the salon though! Who knows when Frau Whitmer, her excellence, will see fit to let those good people work again?

Peleton sounds terrific. I have been thinking about getting an old-timer's recumbent bike (the better for my back). Best case, I could find one at a yard sale or online that's been used mostly as a coat rack.

There are some good online exercise programs, but I really miss my class at the core fitness club. Best teacher ever, Sarah, who has had international training in teaching senior fitness. Makes the class fun, too; cares about all. Exercise modifications aplenty. But I was oldest participant by far and now that fitness clubs have reopened here, I don't want anyone feeling guilty should I come down with The Virus. I check most of the boxes in the "vulnerable" category. Hopefully some day all this will end or greatly ease, and I will go back.

Here in South Carolina, the restrictions have been eased more than in some other states, though there are still plenty of precautions to follow. Took my wife to her salon last weekend, and I couldn't even go in with her. No one can sit in waiting area. However, her stylist took pity on the scraggly hubby sitting in the car, and invited me in to cut my unruly locks, too. A wonderful summer cut. Short and comfortable. And I have ditched my incipient beard too -- never been a beard guy. Shave and a haircut have helped get me out of my surly mood, and I probably lost 10 pounds with all the hair that got chopped off my face.

A good eating-out option is outdoor dining when practicable -- porches, patios, or even picnic tables set up in part of a parking lot. (Weather permitting, obviously)....

Hope your wife can have a salon appointment very soon, Superman. Health-care workers like your bride are obviously essential. I would venture that hair stylists are not quite in that category, but pretty close -- given the effect on mental health.

I was surprised to get a call early this afternoon by the man who's been cutting my hair for the last 30 yers or so. The restrictions on hair cutting have been removed. I get my hair cut today (Saturday - I'm writing after midnight). My normally curly hair has, for now, lost its curl, because the sheer weight of the hair pulls the curl out. It didn't get long enough for a respectable ponytail, but if I let it move forward, it goes below my nose. If I don't do anything to it, it slied all over the place.

I'll see what kind of magic he can do with it.

As far as breakins are concerned, I may have the winning story. My dad died about five years ago, leaving the house empty. It had been broken into before - while he was in the house - but they figured that the old blind man couldn't do much about it.

Now, with it empty, they could go through it whenever they felt it was safe. My dad had been recording recipes (and who knows what else) on cassette tapes, for about 30 years. I was going to take hem home and catalog them, and have some recordings of his voice, but these bastards got there before me, and the tapes (and almost anything else of value0 had already been taken.

Of course, this didn't stress the thing in my chest that pumps blood, but it DID hurt my heart.

Latest posts

Back