Staying the Course -- February 10, 2021

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Greetings, hearty Coursers! Welcome to the start of another STC week. (Who knew that weeks started on Wednesdays? Oh well.) My excuse for tardiness is the hectic pace of life in a New Year. Do the rest of you feel that things really speed up in the first few months of a year? For one thing, in the USA at least, the tax deadline looms, and that means gathering a lot of receipts that you may not have kept organized so well during the past year. And then there is all the stress wrought by the pandemic, which I shall not reprise today. And the mess in Washington, 'nuff said.

In so many ways, it is as though we are on a treadmill that speeds up automatically no matter how we set the controls. Ah but February 12-15, Friday through Monday, Valentine's Day weekend, there will come an event that slows the pace down and does the heart good. It is something you can do with the whole family, or alone, or hugging your Valentine sweetie. And you can participate as much or as little as you wish -- no pressure.

It is the annual Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC). Hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world sit in their yards and identify birds, or go on long or short hikes to see what species they can see. And then they log in to report what birds they can identify. And from all the worldwide data amassed, scientists can learn about such things as the migratory patterns of assorted species, and differences among birds in diverse backgrounds. This global happening is sponsored by the National Audubon Society, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, and Bird Studies Canada.

You can learn much more by going to birdcount.org where you can open your own account and report your counts this Friday through Monday. I discovered it in 2013 and started blogging about my observations then. Back then, joy came easily because we had backyard feeders that attracted a wide variety of birds. Since then, bears from a nearby nature preserve have discovered backyard feeders as a supplemental food source and so reluctantly I have joined other neighbors in taking down all feeders. I wouldn't want my Junkyard Dawg to tangle with a Mama Grizzly protecting her cubs.

Ah, but there is no requirement that you have to sit on your rear end to take part in the GBBC. My blogposts remind me of all the fun of combining dawgwalking and birdwatching -- maybe I could coin "birdwalking" as a new term. Even if you don't spot a great many birds, you get some good healthy exercise. And once in a while you may be surprised by a bird you've never seen before -- like the Wood Stork I ran across at a lake's edge the other day. And even if you just walk with visions of bluebirds dancing in your head, there are other mental-health benefits, as I tried to describe in this birdwalking blogpost:

"As we walked, it was under one of those deep blue ("Carolina blue") skies that is like a gateway to Heaven. There were no clouds in this sky, just the daytime outline of a crescent moon. It was enough to take your breath away."

If any of you Coursers decide to participate in the GBBC this weekend, please post your sightings and experiences here.

Cheers,
Superbob
🦸‍♂️

So birdwatching wasn't exactly inspirational, I gather, as a Throwdown topic. Just as well, around here anyway, 'cause the entire weekend of the Great Backyard Bird Count looks to be a washout. Rough on the birds, rough on the watchers. So see you next week, if the creeks don't flood (and some actually are)....

Totally missed this one, SB! Busy week this week. Not many birds up this way with the snow and clouds anyway. Took my kids to school Thursday morning and then car said it was -4F. That’s a minus. It could warm up 36 degrees and water still freezes. Finally getting our share of snow too. A little here a little there, before you know it, you’re out with the flat garden shovel scraping hard packed snow off the driveway because it’s impossible to get out and clear after every flurry. Oh well. Good exercise, but it’s also heart attack season up here for that same reason.

We see some birds on our morning walks, but no walk this morning due to ice everywhere. We have flocks of invasive Canada geese, and gulls on the river. Once in a while lately there have been bald eagle sightings in the park, and hawks. We are still waiting with increasing frustration for an appointment to be vaccinated. People we know and other locals have gotten their shots but not us. We've registered everywhere we could. All we can do is wait to hear from the authorities.

We see some birds on our morning walks, but no walk this morning due to ice everywhere. We have flocks of invasive Canada geese, and gulls on the river. Once in a while lately there have been bald eagle sightings in the park, and hawks. We are still waiting with increasing frustration for an appointment to be vaccinated. People we know and other locals have gotten their shots but not us. We've registered everywhere we could. All we can do is wait to hear from the authorities.

Sorry to hear about that difficulty getting a vaccination appointment, Jim. We were going through the same kind of frustration 'til I happened on a health care organization affiliated with a hospital 20 miles away from us. They called back after my online query, scheduled us for both our first and second Pfizer shots, ran a super-organized and friendly clinic, and now we will be going down the road for our second shot this Wednesday. If at all possible, if either of us needs to go to a hospital again, I hope we can go to theirs. They have their stuff together.

I can only wish you the best in making a connection. It seems to be part persistence at a keyboard but an even bigger part luck. It shouldn't be like this.

I missed this too! My birding skills are much weaker than my botany but I am working on them slowly. Our regular backyard visitors this time of year include cardinals, blue jays, red bellied woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, white breasted nuthatches, dark eye juncos, black capped chickadees, robins, crows, red tailed hawks and bald eagles. The cardinals are already starting their mating songs so even though it is currently -22 degrees spring is coming! Most years I see (and hear!) trumpeter swans out on the lake soon after the ice is out and that is my favorite sign of spring. Sometimes sandhill cranes and loons moving through as well. And I should hear the barred owls and great horned owls at night anytime now. I love that sound as well.

Latest posts

Back