Staying the Course -- Election Day 2020 Edition

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Happy New Week, you hale and hearty Coursers! Hope rose petals and rainbows accompany you on your respective courses.

So today is Election Day USA, and how crazy is it? Being something of a political junkie, I usually stay up most of the night to find out who the winner will be. But kinda looks like we may not know that answer for a while. Okay, I'm not going to wander further into the political morass (because we have wise prohibitions against that on our heart forum) but will just express the wish that no matter the outcome, our country will begin to heal and practice civility. Whichever party loses, all is not lost: Look to the 2022 midterms as a rebound opportunity. Okay that's as apolitical as I can make it. (Took a lot of restraint on my part -- pat, pat, pat on my back)

Certainly having gorgeous Election Day weather here in the Southland. Temp was in mid-40s and old dawg Ellie just wanted to walk and walk and sniff and walk some more this morning. It was the most distance we've covered in a year. Guess she likes 45 temp much better than 95 temp, as do I.

Got my tele-med consultation with the renowned hernia surgeon and he was great! Didn't try to sell me the surgery -- told me there is currently only a 1% chance per year of this dad-gummed thing doing me in. However, it was clear that if I want to continue living an active life -- and I do -- I need to have this thing fixed. (It's way up near the breastbone, large mass resembling a third man boob. Yikes!) So will be scheduling it early in 2021 (because who the heck wants to have anything done in 2020?)...usually hour and a half surgery, one overnight in hospital, recovery 6 to 8 weeks just taking it easy -- and then, when healed, no restrictions. In fact, right now, he wants me to resume doing any exercise that "doesn't hurt." He loved my senior core fitness class as I described it to him. The class that I've missed so terribly. So I am going to try to resume it next Monday. He says re-conditioning would be good prior to having this procedure done.

So a lot going on here. Would love to hear your thoughts and stories, or see discussions such as Rich initiated on motivation. (Being as fit as possible motivates me!)

Cheerio,
Superbob
🦸‍♂️🦸‍♀️

My front yard slopes steeply down to the road. About 20 years ago (before I bought the house), the road was widened to 4 lanes and the result was the slope of the yard was made much steeper.

I tried cutting with a riding mower, but almost flipped over. Tried with regular mower and it wore me out. So after a couple of years I landscaped the hill, without really knowing what I was doing. After several years of trying several shrubs, I finally found 1 type that didn't die. This is a south facing slope, so it gets full sun and dries out. I had also planted some roses that got pretty bad after a few years, because I didn't know they needed to be cut back every year.

So 2 years ago I planted a row of boxwood shrubs. They are doing good, but only about 2' tall so far. For some reason, I decided I should dig up the old shrubs and plant something better to replace them. This is an area at least 70' wide. It wasn't the smartest thing for a 71 year old to take on!

So last week I went after the shrubs. The shovel didn't wear me out, but several swings with the ax quickly did.

The root system spread out about 4' in all directions. Once I got all the roots cut off and pulled out, I was left with the stump and attached root stubs. They probably weighed 50- 75 lbs each (12 of them). This morning I finally got all the roots out and stacked up. Still need to carry them out to the back lot where I can burn them.

Then I planted 12 Azaleas to replace the ugly shrubs. A few days ago I planted new double knockout roses. So at the road is blue rug juniper, then a row of Azaleas, then a row of boxwood, and then a row of roses. At the top of the hill are crepe myrtles. Now the hill will have green shrubbery year round with the juniper, azaleas, and boxwoods. Then in the spring and summer nice color with azaleas, roses, and crepe myrtles.

Tomorrow is cleanup day and then Thursday, if I can still walk, I'm going to buy about 20 bales of pine straw and mulch the hill with it to help retain moisture. I doubt if 20 bales is enough, but it's a good start.

Just to make it heart related, my valve seems to be holding up just fine!

Beautiful morning here in MN - the skies are still blue, prairie grasses still wave regardless of politics. My latest motivation is the Tiny Habits method of behavioral change by BJ Fogg. Right now my most exciting aspiration is Superfridge - a fridge filled with healthy ready to go meals and snacks. I'll get there in tiny steps. Right now all I have to do to celebrate a win is open the fridge and scan the contents, right after I press go on the coffeemaker. SO, I WON you guys! Yay me!!

Hoping to get outside again today and collect prairie seeds for restoration projects. We got a respite from the 8 inches of snow last week and it's high 60s all week. Last chance to go out without a coat. I saw a little kid running around the prairie shirtless yesterday LOL.

Reading about yard work sounds hard. :)

@rich01, sound like an awesome project. I enjoy walking by yards and seeing the creative ways people utilize space. Seems to me one of those things that people either get it or they don’t. Blessed that the house we bought a few years ago had professional landscaping and all we’ve done is maintain it.

That said, we did rebuild and redesign a fish pond on our patio this year. Couldn’t take our big vacation, so we spent the money there.

For health related “course” talk - our treadmill is being delivered today! Yay! In plenty of time for winter. I’ve been pretty active on my Peloton spin classes of late and also branching into their strength, stretching, yoga, and even meditation offerings. Lots of good content. Looking forward to their running / interval training.

A local store finally got some additional dumbbells in stock so we have 3 lb - 25 lb at home now. Plus a couple bars and plates. I’m learning my core is weak. Lots of work to do.

Supposed to be a beautiful weekend. Time to take advantage and crawl all over the roof getting lights ready for the Holidays. Clark Griswold has nothing on me!

Rich01, you sure did work hard on that, congratulations. I'm just doing maintenance and that's enough for me. Everything grows year around here in So Cal.
Looks like the local fire is either out or far away now. I haven't heard any news on it. We ran near the burn area on Sunday and luckily the burn area was at the other end of the park that we run in. I think it did burn some of our areas but the park is closed. I might try to drive closer if I have time.
Gained a pound, hope it's just a daily change. I'm working more and walking less. Need to switch that.
Started playing golf on our local 9-hole chip and putt course.
That's it this week.

I have exercise equipment, but not the discipline to actually use it often enough to help.

A week ago, I fell and my hip hurt like hell. Nothing broken (at least, I doubt it). Just, perhaps, stretched muscle or something - but a great excuse to stay away from the workout routine.

I've got bands. I've got a thing called the Torso Track, I have a flexible bar that can be used to vibrate and stimulate the muscles and can also be used for strength training.

I also now have a device that's supposed to have all I need to use it as ten different types of exercise machines - it even has downloadable exercise routines. I haven't opened it yet.

I'm not sure if just kicking myself in the butt (using the leg that doesn't have the sore hip) is enough to get me to work on building my core -- but I DO have to work up a routine.

I have maintenance to do on the South side of my house. When I started getting weak last year, I stopped maintaining the stuff on that side -- and now, I can't even get to my tool shed.

I'll be using Roundup to try to kill what are mostly weeds. I've got some plants that want to become small trees that I've got to cut. I may have to call and get some more green containers so I can put that stuff into it (what I can really use are a few good composters - it's a shame to throw away all that green stuff - but, of course, not what Roundup has killed.

Although working out (or lots of shopping) still wears me out - even with my pacemaker, stent, and pretty good rhythm - maybe I just have to work my way back into a healthy routine.

So - you can virtually kick me in the butt, too. I may respond.

I may not.

But it's probably worth a try.

Latest posts

Back