Staying the Course -- Autumn At Last!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
To cap off our Summer of Stress, my wife had another bad fall and fractured her hip. She is now in a rehab hospital for at least another week. I am going back and forth there and trying to get the home fitted more like a medical facility. Such is life in the age of the aging. On a brighter note, my cardiologist was startled by all my good vitals (bp and such), given all the Summer of Stress happenings. (Another downer is a Family Court brouhaha preventing us from seeing 3 of our precious grandchildren right now -- even though the battle is between she and he of a younger generation. We are collateral damage. If one or both of us passes away before even getting to see our sweet grands again, I'd say that would be pretty harsh punishment for doing nothing wrong. But what do I know?)

Thank God autumn starts tomorrow. My June hernia surgery did go well. But then my wife battled illness and back pains and received little help from our highly touted max-ego orthopedists. My senior walking dog and companion passed away in August. And then the latest fall, which happened on the eve of 9/11 of all times. So I do get exercise dealing with all this, but not the kind you'd order. My wife joins me in wishing for the renewed companionship of a good new dog, preferably a golden retriever, so we will be working on that as we head into autumn and hope for some cessation of stress.On another brighter note, we will celebrate our 55th wedding anniversary this Friday in rehab. Maybe some cake and ice cream and noisemakers in the therapy gym.

Peace out.

Superbob
(who is concluding that the tall buildings there to leap at a single bound are getting taller)

Last edited:
On a brighter note, my cardiologist was startled by all my good vitals (bp and such), given all the Summer of Stress happenings.
Good to hear Bob.

I was talking with Agian (on the phone) and he asked about you. I'll report this post to him.

Glad there have been some positives mate.

Sorry to hear about Mrs Superbob’s health. Hope she recovers soon. Prayers also for healing in your family. Seems more and more common the easier communication gets (with tech). Ironical and sad.

Otherwise, glad to see your check up went well. Any plans to get back to the core fitness class?

Had my cardio check up not too long ago and was clear for a couple years. I skipped a year anyway with the pandemic so whatever. 😁

Health course, fitness wise I found some of the weight I lost. Oops. But -with that I set a personal best in the Peloton bike. More weight let’s you push a taller gear and a taller gear increases your output. Who knew I could eat what I want and improve performance. 😂

Gosh, Bob. Very sorry to hear of your wife’s misfortune again. Wishing her a speedy and healthy recovery.
And the best of outcomes re your family issues.

Golden retrievers sure can be golden. Beautiful hounds. Looking forward to some future posts on your walkabouts should you get yourself a new (rescued?) retriever.

Very best to your wife and you on your 55th! 😎

Sorry to read about the Mrs., Superbob. You certainly have had an "interesting" summer.

Our relatively quiet summer is winding down now. I'm well along in the process of preparing to close the island beach house for the winter.

Golden's are great dogs, but they are big. We're enjoying our golden mix who is only 24 lbs. My three previous canine companions, all rescues, were all larger, >50 lbs, and I tried to get another one that size, but ended up with a sweet rescue girl, Katie, who is so much fun and actually easier to manage and care for at the smaller size. Now I'm happy that she is smaller. She is still a great walking and fun companion. I wish you good luck getting another dog.

111515.jpg

Sorry to hear about your wife's fall and the messy family situation with not being able to see your grandkids. Wishing her a speedy recovery and a quick resolution to the family issue and a prayer that those who have issues with one another can have empathy for other family members and not cause harm by depriving access to the grandkids.

My parents had a golden retriever. Rusty. He was an amazing dog- the most friendly dog ever. Not sure that he was much of a watch dog, as he would probably just have tried to make friends with any intruder, if there ever was one, but that's ok. We miss him a lot.

To cap off our Summer of Stress, my wife had another bad fall and fractured her hip. She is now in a rehab hospital for at least another week. I am going back and forth there and trying to get the home fitted more like a medical facility. Such is life in the age of the aging. On a brighter note, my cardiologist was startled by all my good vitals (bp and such), given all the Summer of Stress happenings. (Another downer is a Family Court brouhaha preventing us from seeing 3 of our precious grandchildren right now -- even though the battle is between she and he of a younger generation. We are collateral damage. If one or both of us passes away before even getting to see our sweet grands again, I'd say that would be pretty harsh punishment for doing nothing wrong. But what do I know?)

Thank God autumn starts tomorrow. My June hernia surgery did go well. But then my wife battled illness and back pains and received little help from our highly touted max-ego orthopedists. My senior walking dog and companion passed away in August. And then the latest fall, which happened on the eve of 9/11 of all times. So I do get exercise dealing with all this, but not the kind you'd order. My wife joins me in wishing for the renewed companionship of a good new dog, preferably a golden retriever, so we will be working on that as we head into autumn and hope for some cessation of stress.On another brighter note, we will celebrate our 55th wedding anniversary this Friday in rehab. Maybe some cake and ice cream and noisemakers in the therapy gym.

Peace out.

Superbob
(who is concluding that the tall buildings there to leap at a single bound are getting taller)
Very sorry to hear about DW’s fall, Superbob. You have had a rough few years. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.

Sorry to read about the Mrs., Superbob. You certainly have had an "interesting" summer.

Our relatively quiet summer is winding down now. I'm well along in the process of preparing to close the island beach house for the winter.

Golden's are great dogs, but they are big. We're enjoying our golden mix who is only 24 lbs. My three previous canine companions, all rescues, were all larger, >50 lbs, and I tried to get another one that size, but ended up with a sweet rescue girl, Katie, who is so much fun and actually easier to manage and care for at the smaller size. Now I'm happy that she is smaller. She is still a great walking and fun companion. I wish you good luck getting another dog.

View attachment 888132

View attachment 888132
Looks like a terrific dog Skeptic! I found out as you did that a bit smaller dog was about all I can handle at this point. My pup is a Corgi mix and is the best dog I’ve ever had. However I think I have been put to a test now because I currently live my daughter Anne and family which includes five (yes 5!) dogs, all of which are over 50 lbs. The rest of the menagerie consists of three cats, three horses, 23 chickens and four ducks. Whew!

Thinking of you Bob and wishing you and your wife a belated happy Anniversary. I hope the autumn brings less stress for you both. You have been through enough. Sending out all best wishes and prayers, Take care,

Wife qualified for a hospital bed and other medical supplies via Medicare so home will be set up with all this stuff and resemble a hospital room for a while, I am getting training daily at the rehab center in how to be a de facto therapist/nurse. Thank goodness our daughter and grown-up granddaughter moved just a few blocks away last year and will be available to help as well. Looking forward to getting DW healed and secure. And to able to have someone stay with her for a short while each day while I unwind with a walk with a dog. I really miss the daily dawgwalk. Walking hard rehab hospital corridors just isn't the same.

The Run Through The Vineyard took place today in Temecula. The course is hilly and thanks to the Friday rain it was also a little muddy. Luckily the soil is sandy so most of the problem was sinking into it slightly and not slipping around.
I ran the whole 5K this year, no walking, and surprised myself with a 35:50. Slow by pre-OHS times but my second best on this course out of 5 races. My wife beat me and took 2nd in her age group.

The Run Through The Vineyard took place today in Temecula. The course is hilly and thanks to the Friday rain it was also a little muddy. Luckily the soil is sandy so most of the problem was sinking into it slightly and not slipping around.
I ran the whole 5K this year, no walking, and surprised myself with a 35:50. Slow by pre-OHS times but my second best on this course out of 5 races. My wife beat me and took 2nd in her age group.

You were right in my neighborhood! I'll have to take part in that run one of these years.

Latest posts

Back