Staying the Course -- August 17, 2020

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Happy New Week, fellow Stay-the-Coursers! Love it how our weekly comments take unplanned directions, for example with last week's discussions of poison ivy/poison oak and ways to heal and recovery from outbreaks. It is good to have a place to discuss our health challenges and share ideas for staying or getting well.

One piece of good news here is that humidity actually broke a little this morning. Pretty pleasant walk for dog and I, even when leaving the shade and walking in bright noon sunshine. I know the break won't last long, but we can at least look forward to autumn.

My big preoccupation is my long-awaited exam at my cardiologist's office tomorrow. I've been talking about it for weeks now, so I won't say more now but instead maybe check by later this week or next with an update.

Mostly just wanted to open the floor for another week of STC reflections and discussions.

Take care. Be well.

Cheers,
Superbob
🦸‍♂️

Good luck with your cardio! I’m overdue. They’ve been threatening my drug supply. I’m a bad patient.

A break in humidity is always nice. Good to shut the AC off and open windows for fresh air.

My oldest is off to college. Nobody warned me that the moving out is harder on the parents. Made sure we got the baseball gloves out and played some catch for old times sake before the move. I will say, we’ve got it pretty easy with texting and FaceTime and whatever to stay in touch. Still, we try to leave him alone. That tight rope between making sure they know you care and making sure they have their independence. My younger kids are funny. They drew a picture of him, wrote his name on it, and taped it to his chair at the dinner table.

Speaking of pictures, I made my first major print of one of my waterfall images. A big 13 x 19 for the home office. When we bought our camera, between instant and mail in rebates we received a pro quality photo printer free. $700 value they say, but I don’t know that it’s ever sold for full retail. Make their money in ink refills. Either way, I’m very happy with the print.

As far as courses go, I think I’m up about 10 lbs from my recent lows. I better start paying attention. Happy to say I was still able to head out and run over 3 miles today. Just need to be mindful of those second helpings.

We've had our first glimpse of autumn during the past few days, with night time temperatures falling into to 60s. It seems like summer breaks early out here on Long Island, NY. The beach walks continue each day for about an hour and a half or so. Yesterday was a day to find treasures after Sunday's storm. I found a buck tail lure that some deep sea fisherman lost quite a while ago, and another WWII vintage machine gun shell casing to add to my collection of them. The battle to lose a little poundage continues without much success. Seems like I'm where my body wants to be, heavier than I would like by 15 lbs. Have a good week all.
P1230919.JPG
P1230921.JPG

Last edited:
Interesting finds! It’s definitely feeling like fall in MN. Snowy cricket are loud and the prairie is popping with a carpet of blooms. It’s my favorite time of year perfect for being active outside. Wishing everyone well!

sooooo, good visit yesterday with cardio, now to be followed by CT-Scan, then Sept return to cardio on first anniversary of aneurysm surgery, then maybe consult with an out-of-town surgeon to see if need to fix the epigastric incisional hernia, then (I still hope) walking in community's Oct 17 Heart Walk (which we've done 10 of past 11 years).

Always plenty of new material for my improbable book, "The Joy of Aging: Everything You Always Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask." Maybe you preferred "The Joy of Sex"? How passé....lol

Off now to walk the dawg. That's a constant.

Last edited:
Nice to read the posts this week.
Great brass skeptic49.
And SB, thanks for the updated report.
I've been doing a lot of dog walking lately. We've had up to 4 dogs in the house. Also snuck out and did a 6 mile run/walk and a long hike in the local mountains without the dogs.
Very hot this past week. Temps breaking 100.
Weight still around 169/170 so I hit my goal.
Working from home today. Back in the cubicle/lab tomorrow and then three day weekend.

Latest posts

Back