Staying the Course: April 2021 Edition

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
April 10, 2021

I'm fine, but was feeling kind of burned out this week as far as starting a new STC Week. I am going to be preoccupied with my next surgery two months hence, and I don't know that that would make exciting reading.

Looked back tonight and discovered I started Staying the Course close to Memorial Day 2015, as a follow-on to Cooker's Throwdown, which involved good-hearted weight-loss competition and other jollity.

So Cooker's original Throwdown had an eight year run and STC has followed with six more years.

We do get some lively discussions here from time to time, but generally I don't think we have as much enthusiasm or participation as we once did.

I might try to resume it after recovery (God willing) from the June 9 surgery but this might be finis.

Below is my opening post back in Spring of 2015:

Superbob is starting a new week's thread here in the Throwdown Forum thinking that we will preserve all the good that has been accomplished over the past eight (I believe) years with Cooker's Throwdown and knowing that Cooker aka Mr. Chimp will swing in here from time to time and continue to contribute with his wit and wisdom. My thought is to keep a good thing going as we all strive to keep ourselves going and enjoying life.

Exercise, nutrition, weight control, portion control, and of course heart health in general will be some of my areas of focus, and the weekly thread will be open for your observations, topics, concerns, experiences.

We started as a Throwdown -- which means lively competition, good-natured in our case, with "races" to achieve weight loss goals. I think we mellowed out and moved on from competition, so I won't try to revive that unless I hear a clamor for it.

I weighed the other day and again I weighed in at almost exactly my weight (within a few ounces) coming out of Cardiac Rehab 10 years ago. I do take a measure of pride in that; however, I know I would be better off losing 5 pounds (for starters) and then maybe another 5 -- and at my age that's probably a realistic goal. I probably won't be doing a weigh-in every week but all participants are free to do so if they find that helpful and motivating.

Maybe we can pitch in ideas from books, media, our own experiences, whatever, and this can become a good place for sharing. I came across a great book full of tips for making healthy (but tasty) selections while eating out -- and I will write about that in another post. Don't want to make this starter too long.

I don't know if the name "Staying the Course" will be a continuing one. Maybe there's a better one. Floor is open for suggestions about that and everything else.

Wishing for a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend for all.

Looking forward to hearing from our Throwdown regulars and anyone else who would like to participate in our "fitness plus" forum.

Cheers,

Superbob

SB, thanks for posting this. I haven't been that active because I've been busy. I do try to check in every couple weeks.
I have lost about 18 lbs since the beginning of 2020, down from 184. But I don't see weight loss as a subject that most posting to STC are writing about. I do believe STC should be to motivate us to enjoy life BUT focus on health. We need to live a normal life. This summer I will reach my 9th anniversary of my OHS and another one is in the future because I have a tissue valve. I want to make sure I'm healthy when that time comes. STC to me means making it to that date.

Maybe others can post what they want from STC. Maybe open a new thread every 2 weeks instead of every week. Would like to hear some ideas.
A 6 year run for STC SB Edition is pretty good. I hope someone will take over to start the threads.

Good ideas, Rich and Martin. I could open a new STC the first of each month and go from there. We do sometimes have extended discussions that go well beyond a week. So I will plan to start the next one May 3, unless someone else would like to take over. Thank you for your input.

SB, I think that you’ve done a tremendous job with keeping our Stay the Course thread active. I look in to see what’s going on but I have not been a good role model in terms of exercise or weight loss. Perhaps a bi-monthly thread start would help but whatever you decide, Bob, know that your constant commitment is appreciated and applauded. Mary

I also think it’s nice to have some general conversation around here away from valve decisions and INR management. Once a month sounds like a reasonable time.

SB, no doubt there are times you may feel taken for granted with your efforts here. You do a fantastic job. It’s much appreciated and yes, probably taken for granted that there will be a new conversation each week. Don’t know that I could come up with as many great conversation starters as you.

That said, we just got back from a week and a half in Florida. Drove all over the state. Everglades, Sanibel Island, Blue Spring State Park, kayaking on the northern gulf coast. Great time. I rented a long lens and enjoyed that. Saw a lot of manatee, gators, water fowl, turtles, took an airboat ride, a dolphin cruise, a long bike ride. Fantastic trip overall. I need a vacation now. 😂

D33A0294-B21A-48BC-B4DF-BF3DFD0C2F48.jpeg
F961B065-D411-4414-8FCB-ED9BA165279F.jpeg
42B62FBB-032D-4189-9B70-080F8B3DEAF6.jpeg
8DD26730-4987-428F-86CF-80A27144AB22.jpeg
FD2238BC-9F88-4B4D-8E8E-E5254B598A0C.jpeg

Thanks for all of your efforts Superbob. Whatever you decide in terms of keeping this group going will be appreciated. Those a really impressive photos, Superman. My weight is at a post-surgery high. I can blame it on the changes in my routines with the pandemic, not going to the gym for a year, etc., but that doesn't help with what I need to do which is lose some of the excess I've put on. So I am back on the diet wagon and hoping for some results soon.

April 12

I love all the suggestions here for staying the course with Staying the Course (and Superman's spectacular photos!). So why don't we try posting a starter each month, and carrying our observations and conversations through each month? If things lag, we could have a mid-month restarter. But I'm thinking a monthly edition will work well.

Latest posts

Back