Staying the Course 9/4/2018

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinF

It's Tuesday, where is everybody? Hope SB doesn't find out we're not on top of this.
Hope everyone in the US had a great Labor Day weekend. I got 4 stitches in my calf after an accident with a trash bag with broken glass in it. And on Warfarin it did bleed. I'm back to walking without discomfort.
My wife bought a new scale that can measure more than weight. I think BMI and other stuff. Anyway, it's more accurate than our old one so I might start using it instead of the old one. That Labor Day BBQ didn't help with my weight so maybe wait until next week to use it?
Weather here in So Cal has cooled off some but I hear 100's again this weekend. Maybe the last gasp of this hot weather.

What's everyone else doing?

Thanks for starting the thread, Martin. Sorry to hear about your stitches, but glad they were only in your calf instead of your foot or some other highly inconvenient spot.

I'm not a fan of BMI as a metric because it doesn't account for how much muscle versus fat someone has. Body fat percentage is more useful, though that can be hard to measure. A couple of years ago I had my body fat percentage measured via calipers (skin pinch at multiple sites) and also via one of those gadgets with handles you hold on to. One of the results was 8 percentage points higher than the other, so I decided I couldn't trust either one.

Yes, thanks Martin for taking the lead this week.

My labor day weekend was both productive and restful. Rained (lightly) all weekend (great napping weather) and is continuing throughout the week, mostly drizzling though Galveston (30 miles south of me) got 10 inches and serious flash flooding in some areas.

I'm not sure I'd want a scale that calculated my BMI. Looking at my weight is bad enough. I'm making a serious effort to follow my diet to control my blood sugar. I still have high morning readings but have been able to lower them 20 points or so with the black currants, which I munch on while reading in bed at night. My problem is that I like to cheat.

Nothing much else to report. I hope SB posts an update on his test results. A lady in my dance group had a pancreas biopsy this week, for which she requested prayer, and as of her last post it was looking to be a good outcome.

Stay the course!!

My biopsy results was positive...wait, oops, positive is bad, right. Actually it was negative -- meaning benign, no cancer. That was the expectation going in, but you never know until the lab tells you. So, a blessing.

Glad to see that the first one signing In starts the week's thread is working well. Carry on!

Superbob, Wasn't sure if you would post but am very glad to read your results. You and your family continue to be in my prayers.

Great to hear, Superbob! Must be a big relief.

Regarding BMI, I recall reading that someone recalibrated the formula to adjust for height, because the regular formula doesn’t scale up well. I’m just shy of 25 in the regular formula. At 6’ 4”, using the height adjusted, I’m just north of 22. I think the main formula works best somewhere between 5’ 5” and 5’ 10”, but don’t quote me on that. It’s actually favorable to those shorter than average.

Proud if myself today for running four miles in under 40 minutes. Yay!!! Not like 20 years ago, but solid being in my mid 40’s. I’m trying to get my 5k back below 30 minutes. Just missed that mark today by 24 seconds. My wife still whips me on time, but she’s not defective and is a life long athlete. I can beat her biking though. Mostly due to the extra downforce on the pedals being advantageous.

All good anyway. Still hovering around 200 lbs. Seem to be comfortable here and lacking the motivation to take another 10 off. Just trying to keep up with the kids. Schedules getting crazy with school back in full swing and extracurricular activities firing up.

Hope all are managing well on your respective courses!

Here’s the BMI link: https://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/trefethen/bmi_calc.html

Latest posts

Back