Staying the Course 12-18-2018

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinF

Starting this off a week before Christmas. Everyone must be shopping except us men who always wait until the 24th.
This past week I started to run a little. I'm feeling better with work stress decreasing. A couple repeats of running a couple hundred yards and then walking. I have a 5K race in April that I need to get ready for.
Weather here has been good with a little rain. Last night it started raining just as I got into the car to take the dog for a walk. The trail is only about a half mile away.
I'm on a busy street corner. The busy street has a median with trees that the city wraps with white light all the way up into the branches. I'm almost at the top of a hill. One side has 4 corners at the bottom of the hill: Big Christmas tree, Nativity scene, Menorah, and Santa in his sleigh pulled by his reindeer. The other side has the library and city hall at the bottom of the hill and those trees are also lit up with white lights.

I'll throw this out early. One New Years resolution is to increase my walking/running miles from 500+ to 700+.
Nothing else to report, work until Friday and then off until after the New Year!

Everyone have a great week.

Thanks for starting this, Martin.

On a sad note, my wife suffered a serious fall last Thursday after a club luncheon. Fell on marble floor and was taken by emergency crew to hospital. A broken elbow was surgically repaired next day, but she has many other injuries, including facial fractures, to be dealt with later. She is still in hospital and condition is precarious. Hopefully there will be no major brain bleed but there are a few small spots. If we can get her better in hospital, considerable time in rehab/therapy center will follow. That would be a best case scenario right now.

So I really wasn't up to starting a thread, Glad Martin did. Best to all....

Prayers SB. Martin, I am also glad you posted this for all. I know some weeks or months even, all goes smooth and then I just NEED a place to put it out there.

So glad to see you drop by Anne. Martin, I am always interested in the posts of running and walking. I am a pretty dedicated walker but never a runner. With other health issues I am on a very slow path back to how I used to feel. Not very patient and sometimes I could just go NUTS waiting to be able to lengthen my stride and speed up. I am up and keep trying but it is very frustrating at times. I guess the part I have the worst time figuring out is how well it goes for a few days and then I get out there and just like that............I have to slow down and shorten my walk altogether :(

Anyway......your resolution sounds like a motivating one. That and seeing this thread gets put up so all who need it have a place to share info, ups and downs, and everyday life issues. Thank you.

Merry Christmas friends

SB - I'm not sure how often you are able to visit VR, but I will add my prayers for your DW and for you to my list. I do hope that they can get her on the mend so that you can take a deep breath and carry on.

Martin - you must be one of those folks I see out running, even in winter. Whenever I see a runner, my heart races, telling me to hurry up and get home so I can get out there, too. Then my knees and my pacemaker tell me to forget it. I am now a high-intensity walker or I use an elliptical machine. My knees simply will not tolerate running, and my beta blocker keeps my heart rate from getting high enough to enjoy a run anyway.

Sorry I haven't been around much lately. We were on holiday in Florida (you know. . . warm sun and beaches in December), but we're back now. Through all the travel, I've managed to stay at my target weight, so I'll call that a "win."

So, I'll be here. . . Stayin' the Course.

Merry Christmas all!
SB, praying for you DW and your family.
Steve, it's easy to run in the winter here in CA. I used to run in the winter when I lived in Michigan but not daily. My knees are still ok to run after 40+ years of running but I do feel them going up stairs occasionally. I ran dirt and that might have saved them a bit. I'm on a Beta Blocker too and that makes the first mile hard. After that I settle in to a better run.
Recovering from a sore throat that's kept me down for a week now.
Martin

Latest posts

Back