Staying the Course -- 12/16/2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
LOL! -- Last week's thread (12/9/2019) was "hijacked" by the 12/2/2019 thread -- and I love it! A great discussion on steptrackers, smart watches, fitness facilitators (whatever you want to call them) sparked up on the Dec. 2 thread and so it went on there. That was wonderful; just the sort of exchange of experiences and ideas we love to see on Staying the Course.

Would you guys like to continue that discussion here this week? Or maybe that topic's been exhausted, and we'll go another direction. In any event, I will talk a little about my trusty Garmin Vivofit 2, an older model I found on sale on Amazon for about 40 bucks about 3 years ago. It gives me my steps, of course, and my daily goal -- letting me know if I've met it. Also the date and time, miles walked, and quality and amount of my sleep last night (don't comprehend how it does that, but it seems to be accurate). Doesn't have heart monitoring -- and I understand why that's appealing to have. I have such monitors at home separately, but I can understand why it would be helpful to have them when you're out and about. So maybe I will buy my next Garmin with those features.

Another reason I like Garmin: You don't have to recharge the batteries. Just put in new batteries once a year or so (an indicator tells you when they're running low). A couple of CR1632s will do the trick. In fact, I just changed them (a simple thing to do, even for a klutz like me) for first time in approx 2 years.

Christmas/New Years holidays make this a hectic time around my household. But a happy one with family gathered around tree for presents, and then sitting down to a big feast. Wishing all our STC gang and any who may want to join our merry band a healthy, happy 2020. Whew, 2019 has been a challenge for my wife and I, with her terrible fall that put her in hospital for nearly a month and my aortic aneurysm surgery, with extra bonus of an Edwards bovine valve to replace my 15-year-old piggie model. (Yes, Duffey, we have that bovine kinship now, to go along with our St. Louis Cardinals fanaticism. : )

Cheers all,
Superbob 🦸‍♂️🏋️‍♀️

My cheap watch died after just a couple of weeks. It won't recharge. I wish I could find one that did a fairly accurate job of measuring BP and didn't cost hundreds of dollars.

Good day folks! I don't have much to say about smart watches, unfortunately. Though, I'd like to get one for myself someday!

Are you preparing for the holidays? We are over here in Washington State. It doesn't seem to settle this time of year even though we aren't travelling or having any thing big happening.

We have elected to foster a puppy over the Christmas break...she is a single little lady and I couldn't stand the thought of her being in the shelter over Christmas by her lonesome. She is a Pitbull/Mastiff mix, which is totally my type and the shelter knows that, so it was hook, line, and sinker the minute I received her photo. Our current dog will be so happy to have a little pup to play with...he loves the babies so much. So that's what will take up most of my time over the break.

Sorry it's not anything too exciting or educational that I am providing! Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to all near and far!

Jill: Fostering a puppy sounds plenty Christmasy! All that wonderment, all that energy. And you don't have to fill their stockings with $50 gift cards. A chewstick will do, or a little bag of treats.

I have ordered a fully cooked ham dinner for the family for Christmas feast. Will be my wife, son, and his new bride (who was an all-American volleyball player at U/Wisconsin, and led them to a Final Four some years ago. She gave a pep talk to the current team, which will open another Final Four tonight at 7 against Baylor, BTW -- ESPN at 7. Go Badgers!) (My son is 6-5 and a former division I baseball pitcher (ODU), so they are quite a portrait of athleticism.) A divorce complicates kid arrangements at holidays...we will have the teen boy, who lives with his dad and bride by his preference, and may have the teen girl and 5-year-old boy by mid-Christmas Day. Son and bride have a nice home in view of the ocean, so a wonderful venue (though white Christmases are extremely rare). We will feast -- I'm seeing to that, a present to all.

What I have done for Christmas is find a gold object in my Honey Nut Cheerios this morning. Turns out to be a very old -- ancient -- gold tooth from far right side, bottom, of my mouth. Coincidentally, I have an INR clinic appointment this afternoon, so I will inquire how my being on Warfarin affects all this (or doesn't). Heart buddy Bina says she has had no problems getting fillings while on Coumadin -- but I am just 3 months out of OHS. So I need to consult and go forward. I was told originally I needed to be "therapeutic" for just 3 months, and yesterday marked my 3-month anniversary of aneurysm surgery; however, since I am doing cardiac rehab, clinic nurse suggested extending that til out of rehab. Maybe I could suspend the rehab, drop the Coumadin, and have the dental work? Or maybe there is a better plan. Thank goodness, the empty space the golden tooth once occupied quietly in my mouth is not giving me any pain right now.

Never dull around here. Happiness to all this special time of year!

Last edited:
Warfarin wouldn’t be a concern for dental work, but infection might. Especially with surgery that recent. The normal pre-med should do the trick though. I don’t do anything with Warfarin for the dentist. Only if I’m being cut in to (had gallbladder removed a few years ago, for example).

It is crunch time for the holidays. Wonder Woman (that’s Mrs Superman) has a week and a half off, which is rare this time of year in her work setting. I’m off most of next week. Kids just have a half day of school tomorrow. Should be great with every one around.

I’m very happy with my Fitbit Ionic now that it’s working again. Looks nice. Tracks data that I’m interested in. I earn points for activity through work that translate to about $300 a year to spend. I got my original tracker with some of those points. The tracker helped me earn more points. So now I get a bunch of Amazon gift cards or Target or wherever and use the money for the holidays.

If it didn’t drop to 15 degrees, I’d be getting another run in. Supposed to warm up and melt all our snow by Christmas from what I can tell. And I’ll get back to running. Tomorrow. I promise. I ran 4 miles on Tuesday. Recovered yesterday. Too cold today.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

Have you browsed on Amazon or maybe eBay? -- I am amazed by what I find on Amazon sometimes.
Yes, but I'm getting where I don't trust their reviews, even when there are over a hundred. I saw one watch that had well over 100 reviews and they were all 5's. I don't know how to get a review I can trust. Many of the fitbit and garmin watches don't have very good average review scores.

I ordered a Chinese watch on eBay for about $22. It supposedly does continuous heart rate, and, on demand, ekg. There's an app that links it to my watch.

It probably has most of the bells and whistles of the name brand, expensive watches (which I can't afford).

I also ordered - for about 6 dollars, another fitness watch that supposedly does heart rate, blood pressure, pulse ox, and things like sleep tracking, alarm, bluetooth connection to my phone so it can show text messages and control music. It doesn't make toast. It won't clean my dishes. It sounds like a hell of a lot -- I'll know if it can at least tell time and, perhaps, track heart rate or sleep -- once I get it from China. If it somehow drops off my wrist, or defaults to menus in Chinese or German, I won't consider it to be much of a loss. (I'm guessing that heart rate may kind of work - this seems to have been fairly well figured out; I doubt the blood oxygen levels or blood pressure, and it would be interesting if it can actually track sleep.

For six bucks, I chose to take the risk.

I don't have ANYTHING planned for Christmas - much to my wife's disappointment. I also will probably wait to put on my new watch 'you got yourself a present, but didn't think of me???'

Everyone - have better holidays - Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukah, or whatever you do a few days after the Winter Solstice - than I probably will.

Many of the fitbit and garmin watches don't have very good average review scores.

I think it’s a matter of expectations. I don’t know if they’re misplaced, but us premillennial’s have an expectation that if we spend a couple hundred bucks on a watch, that’s a lifetime purchase that we only replace if we can buy a nicer one later.

I don’t know what the useful life expectation is for smart watches, but they can be “bricked” (rendered useless) by faulty hardware, software, batteries, etc. Those bad reviews stem from those experiences. Additionally, I’ve seen them where their sensors just go wonky and tell you that your heart rate is double what it is. That data isn’t of any use either.

Most good ones have a one year warranty.

I would really like to know the manufacturers expectation for a useful life on these things. Can’t seem to find that information though.

Last edited:
Manufacturers probably only want their smart watches to outlive the warrantees by a few months. Otherwise, why would they saturate the market, and why would anyone want a new one each year?
Of course, there are brands where it's a status symbol in the purchaser's mind to have the latest and greatest from a particular manufacturer.
For myself, I bought a cheap one, just to keep track of heart rate, perhaps take an EKG, and - maybe trackl my sleep (which I already know is crappy).

I used to collect watches -- and would still, if I could afford it. I wear mostly good mechanicals, but I have a XEMEX quartz, with a GOOD movement and fairly unique design as my daily basic. It's good, it's accurate, it looks good, and it should last for many, many years. (The cheapo smart watch may go on the other wrist. I really don't plan to advertise that I've fallen in with others who want cheap 'status' and fall in with many others). Also - the new 'stylish mechanicals' often have nice cases, and cheap movements.

I'm not intending to knock those on this forum who use their trackers for actual tracking or monitoring purposes -- actually, I'm not knocking anyone. If it makes them happy, they should wear them. If paying $300 a year for a new smarter watch makes them feel good, they should do it. (I'll stop here before I get heated up over this issue).

I'm fine with my reliable old watches that do little other than just keep ticking - like I expect my St. Jude valve to do .

Back