Staying the Course -- 12/09/2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
So I'm only a day late starting the new STC week -- that's on-time for me. :) We had an unusually warm day for December, up in the 70s, but another one of those Canadian cold fronts is forecast to hit us tomorrow. Why can't our Canadian friends keep those freeze spells to themselves? :whistle: Anyway, my walking dawg Ellie, who is a senior citizen herself, was more than ready to get back home, slurp water, and nap all afternoon.

So I hope to hear from lots of folks this week. To newcomers who might be wondering, Throwdown started years ago as a weight-losing competition, all in good fun. When we got worn out with that, some of us decided there would be value in continuing a forum on how we are staying our courses in the aftermath of heart surgery or preparing for it. Weight, exercise, rehab, recreation remain popular topics.

So here we are.

Today I had my first echocardiogram post-OHS. The tech couldn't give me numbers; the cardio has to do that. But she let me know she was really happy with what she was seeing on the screen. Looked really good. By contrast, she was grim-faced after doing my echo last March -- the one that revealed the ascending aortic aneurysm had grown to an alarming 5.6 cm. So good vibes now. I will get a copy of the report as soon as possible.

Cardiac rehab three times a week is rolling along way too fast. I guess about a third of the way complete already. I am going to miss it when it ends but that's when I can transition back to my wonderful core fitness class if the docs say it's okay. My back (spinal stenosis) is still a challenge, but with the nudging of my walking dawg I soldier on. Don't want to go the back surgery route. Am thinking maybe later down the road asking my doc to prescribe another round of aqua therapy for me. That was helpful a few years ago.

Okay so I prattle on about myself. Would like to hear about what's happening along your courses.

Seasonal cheers,
Superbob
🦸‍♂️

Last edited:
Congrats on getting the seemingly good news on your echo! That must be a big relief as you continue along recovery.

We got hit by that cold spell today in the Chicagoland area. Fell to around 15 degrees here so I’m stuck inside to get my walking done. I’m 4 weeks post op and doing 2 30 minute walks each day. No treadmill so I’ll just be walking circles around my living room.

I’m hoping to start cardiac rehab after the holidays. Until then I’ve been told to stick to my 2 long walks each day. Sounds like it’s been a big help for you so far.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying rehab and that your echo went seemingly well. I remember during Mathias' many echos, the grim faces and the occasional "run out of the room" bit. That was always fun.

I am looking forward to the holiday season, even the weather that comes with. It truly is my favorite time of year, mainly due to the rain and snow and cold. I love that!

Nothing really to report on Mathias' journey...we see his cardiologist next week and have some things to bring up with her, but nothing we aren't managing right now. He is feeling pretty good, gets lots of walking in at work and weather permitting, plays soccer with our dog after work.

In fun and exciting news, we have chosen a wedding date for next year! It sure is coming fast, but I'm looking forward to our small, intimate ceremony. Only 9 humans (and 2 dogs!) will be there, including Mathias and myself. We are excited, but I certainly have some things to get in place before it rolls around.

What are some fun holiday traditions you folks have done throughout the years? Thinking of starting a new tradition this year since we wont be in a hospital for Christmas, and I'd love to hear the creative things people from all over have done. :)

Much love,
Jill

John -- After my first OHS in 2005, we had a solid sheet of February ice around our house and 'hood. So I had to do the indoor walking, and of course it was boring. But it is important and will lead toward some delightful springtime walks...

Jill -- Wedding date -- what great and exciting news! As for holiday traditions that don't involve hospitals, I'm all for that. Last Christmas my wife was in the hospital being treated for multiple injuries in a terrible fall. We had little parties in the hospital and the nurses were kind, but there is no place like home for the holiday!

Last edited:
Just home on December 1 from our two thousand mile round trip to Virginia and DH returned to work the next day. He had been on medical leave since October 3 so we are both readjusting to getting up early (5:30) for work. Ugh. I’ve got our Christmas tree up and decorated which is an accomplishment. In terms of traditions, this is the 46th Christmas that we’ve had a “real” tree and some of our first year ornaments still survive. I love this time of year, but wish we could skip January and February and jump to Spring training!

Latest posts

Back