Staying the Course -- 12/02/2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Here we are at the first week of December. Lots of celebrations (depending on your preferences) and year-end feasting and imbibing ahead. I reckon the wise among us will take a vow of moderation right about now. I am holding on to a 30-pound weight loss since last summer and I don't want to let go.

One motivational help for me is the occasional Steps Challenge thrown your way by fellow Garmin step trackers from around the world. I am in the final day of one today -- and lo and behold, I have a 5,000-step lead! It actually helps that I am in Cardiac Rehab because we do lots of movin' and groovin' of various kinds, under the watchful eyes of our sweet nurses. And my faithful dawg Ellie commands me to take a daily walk with her. My road to a new walking life began 10 weeks ago, just out of aortic aneurysm surgery, when the nurses at UNC-Chapel Hill regularly dropped by and asked if I wanted to take a walk with them. I am not one to decline walking offers from nice and kind young folks, so I did a lot of walking before I got home. Going to put in some extra steps today 'cause I really would like to win this Garmin Steps Challenge. It would be my second victory in past year, which has been a time of great challenge generally. (I don't know all the back stories of my fellow competitors, but I gather they are regular folks on fitness quests, not Olympic athletes in training.)

Anyway, my Cardiac Rehab runs (approx.) from Thanksgiving Day to St. Valentine's Day, at which time I hope to re-enroll in my good friend Sarah's instruction at our local core fitness club. Best fitness class I've ever had! Without the personal training there the past few years,I probably would not be having (so far, knock on wood) such a good recovery at age 78 from a doozy of a surgery.

So that's how I am staying my course this first week of December. How about you all? Hope to hear from one and all....

Cheers,
Superbob 🦸‍♂️

Wow, I see we have 51 views but zero responses this week. That's okay, this is a hectic time of the year for many folks. I will continue to do a week starter through the holidays though I probably will be talking mostly about my own experiences (because after all that's what I know)....cheers to all.....

Wow, I see we have 51 views but zero responses this week. That's okay, this is a hectic time of the year for many folks. I will continue to do a week starter through the holidays though I probably will be talking mostly about my own experiences (because after all that's what I know)....cheers to all.....
P.S. BTW, I did wind up winning the Garmin steps challenge, 73,000-plus steps, about 4,000 more than the runner-up. Also set personal one-day best of 19,000-plus steps. Cardiac rehab is working well for me.

P.S. BTW, I did wind up winning the Garmin steps challenge, 73,000-plus steps, about 4,000 more than the runner-up. Also set personal one-day best of 19,000-plus steps. Cardiac rehab is working well for me.
Congratulations SB !

The forum seems pretty quiet overall, perhaps that's why none of us replied to your orignal post here. I do read your posts, I read most of the posts (apart from INR ones as I woudn't have a clue here) but I don't always have something to say, BUT your winning the Garmin steps challenge is great - shows how fit you are getting (y)

Nice work on the steps challenge. I’m frustrated because my Fitbit Ionic failed me. I’ve been fighting with them because it died after a firmware update was pushed out.
I won a small battle finally getting them to replace an out of warranty product.

However, when I finally got the new one, it required a software update before I can use it. But the software update doesn’t work. So I have a useless tracker and won’t be winning any step challenges.

It was really nice when it worked. Built in GPS. Tracked running routes, hikes, bike rides, sleep, etc.

With the replacement failure, because no warranty, they offer only a discount on a replacement purchase. However special discounts only apply to regular retail prices, which means they’re offering a whopping $12 for my trouble on their $250 gadget that lasted barely two years.

I’m considering a Garmin Vivofit 3 Music. I have the points through work to get it. Just have to do some research to see if they have any similar issues.

Trying to stay the course, but feeling way too busy these days, and I’m realizing what a great motivator my fitness watch was.

Apparently I’m supposed to stay the course! No sooner do I type that message, then I try one more update attempt and my Ionic is alive! Amazing how addictive tracking data becomes. Felt lost without it.

They released a software fix this evening. Crazy. Remember when watches told time as long as you kept them wound?

I've been using real watches (mechanical or quartz movements, usually analog hands) for most of my life. I had a Fitbit that was given to me by a 'friend' - until his broke, and I offered to give him mine - and he took it.

I've avoided the smart watches or trackers. Right now, I've got a bad right ankle, and a somewhat sore left foot -- I'm not sure how much walking I can do.

It would be nice to track heart rate, measure sleep, and do some of the other stuff that these watches can do.

I have two questions:

1. Should I bother?
2. If I should, which trackers / watches would you recommend?

Thanks

I’m here, reading, lurking, being silent.

Abe Lincoln had a saying that sticks with me: “It best to sit and remain silent, and be thought a fool, than stand up and speak, and remove all doubt.”

So I sit and remain silent.

1. Should I bother?
2. If I should, which trackers / watches would you recommend?

Thanks

A couple month ago, I would have said Fitbit all the way. With recent reliability issues, I’m reluctant to full on recommend.

Overall it depends what your goals are. Sounds like a heart rate monitor is of interest to you. Almost all of the newer ones do that. They provide sleep analysis, testing pulse data, etc. Fitbit Ionic, Garmin Vivofit 3 (releasing 4 soon) have a built in GPS antenna so you can leave your phone at home and track your running, walking, or biking routes. Fitbit Versa can pair with your phone to use its GPS to provide the same info, but you have to have your phone with you. Not sure about Garmin’s equivalent. Fitbit and Ionic both boast battery life anywhere from 4-7 days before a recharge is needed. Takes maybe an hour to charge my Ionic. Apple Watch’s do all that stuff too, but the complaint I hear is battery life is maybe a day. If you want sleep data, you’d have to charge it every night before bed.

With Fitbit, I find if I plug it in during my shower, I never have battery issues. I can swim with my Ionic and it will track pool laps.

Versa 2 is on sale for $129.99 right now. $70 off. If their firmware is fixed for all (mine seems to be, but buyer beware), it’s a good deal. Looks like a regular small smart watch on the wrist, not a small dessert plate like some of the more advanced Garmins out there.

Love the spirited step-tracker discussion, though hate the Fitbit hassle for Superman,

Will just say I love Garmin. Three or four years ago, after I lost my original one (my own fault), I found an older Vivofit model for, like, 40 or 50 bucks -- on Amazon. Works wonderfully and does everything I want it to do. Don't need heart monitoring -- have pretty nurses to do that. ;)

I bought a watch to track steps for about $35. The heart rate monitor seems accurate, but the bp monitor always gives a low reading. I'm not sure how to determine how accurate the step tracker is. It says I had over 7000 steps today, which might be true because I spent about 3 hours raking leaves.

I just bought a sports watch on eBay for about $29 (plus tax). It has a continuous heart rate monitor, an EKG, sleep monitor, phone functions, music player, and the typical sports watch features. Others claim to have oxygen level sensors, at least one claims to be able to take blood pressure - but I chose to go with heart rate and EKG.

Sure, Samsung, Apple, Fitbit, Garmin and others would probably do a better job - and be more reliable, but I'll give this one a try. As long as it keeps time, can do a basic job of heart rate (and maybe EKG), remind me when I should stand up, and monitor sleep (and steps), I'll be happy.

Thanks for the recommendations. (Even on sale, the leading brands are beyond my current budget)

Just did an experiment with my watch. The BP reading is always about 107/70 and I know that's not right.

I tested with my meter and got 120/70. I checked with watch and got 107/70. I tightened the watch band and then got 119/70.

So if your BP reading is low, it might be that your watch band is too loose.

Just did 4 miles and change. My Fitbit appears back in full working order. Tracks my run and puts it on a map with mile splits, average pace, heart rate changes throughout, elevation changes, etc. I was slow, but as motivating as I find this little tool, I found it very unmotivating when it wasn’t working, so I haven’t run in a while.

Latest posts

Back