Staying the Course -- 11/Thanksgiving Eve/2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Dang, it's Wednesday and Superbob hasn't decreed the start of a new STC week. Could it actually have started on Monday then? And tomorrow in the USofA is Thanksgiving Day. Several other countries have similar observances, though not necessarily on the same day. You know who you are. Don't make me read Wikipedia.

Needless to say, I have huge reason to be thankful this year -- getting through an aneursym surgery and now speeding along in cardiac rehab. Even more blessings of family and friends. I am in a big hurry at moment, so I will write more letter. Later that is. Wanted to get thread going.

Appreciate the wisdom from Protimenow and Pellicle about this tissue-valver transitioning off of Warfarin. The nurse heading our coag clinic tells me the same: When the time comes, we will just go cold turkey. (Ha! Today is not the day to think of cold turkey, except of leftovers with mayo added for delish turkey salad sandwiches.) I was intially told three months but her advice is to continue on it til I am through with cardiac rehab (around Valentine's Day)....that'd be five months post-surgery. And since I intend to resume my core fitness class then, wonder if I should then stay on Warfarin a little longer then. Maybe not -- GP has scheduled me for an ultrasound before then to see if clots are still lurking. Anyway, I am grateful to you experienced hands who have advised that Coumadin is not that big a deal, and you can live with it just fine.

I am still down 25 pounds post-surgery and my GP yesterday urged me to try to keep it off. The holiday season will make that a tough challenge but I will strive to hold the line/stay the course.

For those traveling for Thanksgiving (Duffey for one), safe travels and have mucho fun!

Cheers,
Superbob
🦸‍♂️

Last edited:
Superbob -- warfarin isn't really that big a deal unless you hear all of the BS about it (rat poison, etc.) that continues to float around. It shouldn't change your life if you ARE on it a bit longer than your doctors say is necessary -- OTOH, unless you have a reason to extend your time on it, there's probably little reason to do so. (Of course 'better safe than sorry' may still apply -- but if your clot issue has resolved, and the doctors say that it's okay to stop taking it, you're probably okay to listen. Perhaps you can go off it, do your normal activities, then get tested for clots, JUST IN CASE. This may confirm that you're no longer at risk of clots - and if clots show up, you'll be able to jump back onto warfarin to take care of the clots).

Thanksgiving for me and my wife here in Southern California has evolved from the big family gorging session into a simple, two person meal - Chicken roasted at home, with the drippings flavoring little potatoes, 'baby' carrots (actually large, deformed carrots mechanically shaved down to 'baby' size), maybe some other small vegetables, all roasted under the chicken. We may have some wine. We may think hard about what we have to be thankful for. For us, the U.S. Thanksgiving is almost 'just another day,' but we eat healthy, stream our favorite shows, and keep mostly out of trouble. At the end of the day, we watch the news for reports of Thanksgiving dinners gone wrong - family members shooting other members, uninvited guests shooting their hosts, drunks driving their cars into other cars or pedestrians, and other things that fond Thanksgiving memories are made of.

In any case, Superbob, the warfarin thing will probably soon be a memory - and ready to start again if you ever need it.

Superbob, and everyone else reading this who observe this U.S. holiday - have an enjoyable, safe, and healthy Thanksgiving (unless you work for one of the retailers who decided that Thanksgiving night (pre-Black Friday) sales are more important than letting their employees enjoy the entire Thanksgiving experience and make them come in to work at around 3 PM; or you do the stock preparation and price re-marking to prepare for the 'Black Friday' sales rush on Friday at 5 AM. )

Again - I wish a good Thanksgiving to all who are allowed to fully observe it.

Happy Thanksgiving all! I lost 25 pounds with Noom last quarter. For the next 13 weeks, I Don't Eat Sugar. Yes it is right in the middle of the holidays. I like a challenge. Plus I think it will be easier and more peaceful than arguing with myself about whether or not to eat it all season. I'm pretty sure there's gonna be adequate deliciousness and decadence today without pie. Thankful for 17 years of Still Being Alive today and wishing you all the same!

Happy Thanksgiving. It's raining here in Southern California so staying in most of the day. We're celebrating tomorrow so our daughter and family can join us. Their drive will be much easier on Friday.
SB, I was on warfarin for 6 months post-op with my porcine valve. It's not a big deal. I'm still on it due to other issues but it's just another pill to me.

Latest posts

Back