Staying the Course -- 11/11/2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Lot's happening, not least the arrival of a cold front that feels like winter coming a month too early. (I know, temps will fluctuate but wow what a temp drop in one day! -- from 75F at lunchtime to 20s tonight. Anyway it was pleasant yesterday for Veterans Day, which was also my 78th birthday, given that I am an Armistice Day baby. Had first day of cardiac rehab today -- orientation and lots of paperwork but a few physical tests too. Thursday more orientation, but with exercise. Thereafter it's M-W-F as far as the eye can see. They have some gorgeous new recumbent bikes..I'm already begging the nurses to let me use the bike instead of the treadmill, which is hard on my stenotic back. Got away with that in CR 15 years ago; will see if I still have the persuasive charm. : )

Have a great week all. Stay warm!

Cheers,
Superbob

Happy belated birthday, Superbob! Let's hope those CR folks let you use the bike. Bad backs are nothing to aggravate!
We've been trucking along, things are relatively "normal"...trying to get Mathias' INR under control, it keeps falling and while it is staying within the "protocol" range of 1.5-2.0, we've requested that Mathias' INR stay closer to 2.5, which they are happy to oblige. So an increase of his warfarin is in order, however they aren't increasing his dosage enough if you ask me. Anyway! Other than that, he is feeling really good, is back at work which is taking an adjustment, but is happy and feels like he is better than he was pre-surgery, which is all I can ask for.
On another note, my cousin's hubby is going in today for his mitral valve repair and pectus excavatum reconstruction which is causing some very familiar feelings of anxiety to resurface. I know how she is feeling today, and I know how difficult the next little while is going to be for them. My heart goes out to them and I wish I could just absorb all of their pain and worries. I don't wish it on anyone. So thoughts and good vibes are being sent their way today. To say I'm distracted is very true.

Wishing all of the rest of you guys the best.
Jill

The anticoagulation clinic is probably not in a rush to raise the INR to the higher (and, if you ask me, safer) range. It may take them a while, and a bit of pushing, to raise his dosage so that his INR is where he wants it. They may 'fear' an INR above 2.5, but millions of us on warfarin are very comfortable with INRs as high as 4.0 - 3.0 isn't a problem - perhaps they've been sold an 'above 2.0 is dangerous' message by On-X.

If necessary, keep pushing the clinic - Matthias' INR will eventually get there, with the clinic's eventual assistance.

I am a INR/coumadin newbie -- told by my UNC surgeons I'd need to be on it for 3 months following my Sept. 18 surgery (which stirred up some blood clots), and my range is supposed to be between 2 and 3. I'm going to my local cardio's clinic weekly for a check -- my last three weekly readings have been 2.8, 2.2, and 3.2. So i deduce fluctuation is par for the course. The nurse in charge of the clinic says not to worry about going over the magic 3 -- just eat a few green salads, and keep the med dose the same. I respect the testimonials of our experts here that all this is manageable without crimping activities or diet unduly -- but I'll be glad when my stint with it ends, just the same.

Had first full session of cardiac rehab today, Felt good. Loving it. (And so far no treadmills -- have some sweet top-of-the-line recumbent bikes -- and of course other machines.)

An INR over 3 is nothing to worry about - you probably don't even need the greens if you don't like them. If the INR goes above 4, it's time for greens and dosing changes.

And, yes, INR is a moving target.

you get used to what works for you superbob

last week I had a rogue 5.0

3 days later i was 2.6 it's no drama ( i also prefer a higher end INR )

Enjoy the rehab 💪

Really appreciate the stay-calm-and-collected, experience-based advice from folks here. (A rogue 5.0 -- reckon I would fret about a number like that, so soon after struggling just to get above 2 -- but thanks Leadville for letting me know those can settle back down in few days, no drama.

Felt so good during rehab yesterday -- then felt a sore throat emerging all night long. For now, warm salty water gargles seem to have quieted it down. OTC stuff is mostly worthless anyway. Just wondering if any of you guys have home remedies for this crud that don't throw INR out of whack. I also have my coag nurse for advice. She's given us her cell number and told us to call whenever we think we might have a problem. Dick, I think you are right. She's a calm, no-panic type who gives practical advice -- and with a sense of humor, a nice bonus.

Really appreciate the stay-calm-and-collected, experience-based advice from folks here. (A rogue 5.0 -- reckon I would fret about a number like that, so soon after struggling just to get above 2 -- but thanks Leadville for letting me know those can settle back down in few days, no drama.

Felt so good during rehab yesterday -- then felt a sore throat emerging all night long. For now, warm salty water gargles seem to have quieted it down. OTC stuff is mostly worthless anyway. Just wondering if any of you guys have home remedies for this crud that don't throw INR out of whack. I also have my coag nurse for advice. She's given us her cell number and told us to call whenever we think we might have a problem. Dick, I think you are right. She's a calm, no-panic type who gives practical advice -- and with a sense of humor, a nice bonus.
I come from a family full of try natural healing first folk. My mom always makes us hot water (about 6-8 oz) a tbsp of apple cider vinegar and a tbls of raw honey. Lemon juice if you'd like, I prefer it left out. We have those every evening before bed when under the weather (flu, head colds, food poisoning, all kinds of ailments) and wrap up in a huge magical blanket my dads mom made him when he was a little boy. It's a king size comforter that we keep only for when we are sick. Maybe its placebo, but I always feel much better the next day and everyday after i drink my "toddy" and sleep in the blanket. I also like to eat some spicy ramen when I'm Sickie, maybe it's a comfort thing from my childhood. Homemade chicken noodle works well too 😊 hope you start to feel better!
As far as Mathias' INR clinic, the last nurse he talked to was happy to make notes in his chart about staying in a higher range, but I know he'll have to tell each different nurse he sees, they rotate between 3 or 4 at the clinic. As long as we talk with them and they are compliant, I dont really care what the cardio says. She has told us to speak with ACC nurses about these preferences anyway.

Latest posts

Back