Staying the Course -- 11/05/2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
And so another week begins -- may it go well for us all. I am through with the home health care visiting nurses and PTs -- they were helpful with the basic stuff of just getting around. Next comes out-patient Cardiac Rehab, which will be much more of a challenge.I will have that M-W-F; meanwhile my wife is taking orthopedic PT Tues and Thurs. So our social schedule is pretty much set.

We may pause PT long enough to do a whole family Thanksgiving at Brookgreen Gardens -- buffet and then walking over that gorgeous terrain, trying to keep up with the grandkiddies. Glorious nature preserve with also an amazing array of artwork. Quite inspiring.

On yeah, my weight. It is now down 30 since the 9/18/19 surgery. I am beginning to suspect the cardiac surgeons snuck in an appetite suppressant for me. Goodness knows, I need the reduced poundage. Will strive to maintain.

More later --- cheerio,
Superbob

Last edited:
Sounds like you're making good progress, Superbob! Good luck with your rehab. I found it reassuring but I dropped out about half way through. Sure, take a break for a nice family Thanksgiving. We'll have a quiet Thanksgiving dinner at home with friends. Before that we're doing a weekend trip to Richmond, VA by rail, just a short fun trip.

Well Bob, I'm up 10 since my TAVR on 9/23. I went through a couple of weeks where I ate everything I could get my hands on.

My initial encounter with the DMV when we moved to SC 10 years ago was rather unpleasant, at least initially. So I went with some trepidation yesterday to get an 8-year renewal of my driver's license. Right off the bat, the computer system went down, systemwide. So we waited and waited and waited. Til some kind soul found a way they could process my application alternatively. So I've reupped through 2027, which to an oldster like me sounds peachy keen. But I do wonder about one health-related question on their application wanting to know if in the past six months you have had a heart attack or heart surgery. (I called ahead of time, and found they did want a statement from your cardiologist, so I brought that.) But I am wondering, what about other kinds of surgery or conditions? Putting heart surgery under a cloud of suspicion ignores the reality that these operations often make it safer to drive a car, not less safe. For instance, I had a 5.6 aneurysm of the ascending aorta which posed a significant risk of sudden rupture or dissection. Now, BECAUSE I had the surgery, I do not carry that risk at this point in time...

Just my random thoughts. Anyway, I am grateful to the good folks at DMV for getting my application processed under adverse conditions.

I learned something that might be of interest. I have Medicare Plan F, which means the plan is supposed to cover everything including the deductible. In looking at plans, I realized Plan G and Plan F are the exact same coverage, but with Plan G I have to pay the deductible. Still, Plan G is substantially cheaper than Plan F even paying the deductible.

I sent my insurance agent an email saying I wanted to switch. Switching plans means you have to go through underwriting, which I didn't know. Because I had 2 stents last year (and I imagine the same for TAVR), it would be more expensive to switch plans than stay with my current plan. She said with some plans they only look back 2 years, but most do a 3 year look back.

Strange, I was just doing that research regarding Plan G and F. It was explained to me that F covered other deductibles besides the general one for Medicare B,($185), like the deductible for blood, ($185), durable equip ($185). Still, dependent upon age, and condition, never really certain about ultimate outcome based upon variable health conditions that might present immediately. Read another article that all of the Plans were attempted to be worked out to end with the outlay of patient cash over time - like SS retirement payouts. Still, would like to save as much as possible based upon what I know now. But making the wrong choice after changed conditions adds to the worry. Another consideration, might be high deductible F based upon your assessment, and perhaps it would not require underwriting?

SB, congratulations on the weight loss. I'm just maintaining, can't seem to get lower right now.
Got so busy lately that I forgot to go for my blood test for Warfarin! Oops. Due date was Halloween day.
My bruise is slowly fading away, probably take a couple more weeks. The soreness is finally gone. Remind me to not do that again.
Big news is my Dr. signed the ADA paperwork and I'm going to 4 day/32 hour work week, M-Th. Hope that helps with the BP. I plan on walking/running 4-5 miles each day on my 3-day weekend. BP is usually normal after that until mid-afternoon. I consider this a step into early retirement which is only a couple years away. One more week of 5 days.
Hope everyone has a great week.

Latest posts

Back