Staying the Course -- 10-30-2018

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Tuesday. It's the new Monday. Obviously I have problems getting around to starting a new thread on Mondays. Must be because it's always "just another manic Monday."

So greetings all. Some great comments last week; looking forward to hearing what's happening this week.

For months I have been scared to step on the bathroom scales. Too much fast food eating; too many buffets to which our son kindly takes us, on occasion.

Anyway, I finally did this morning and I was thrilled -- haven't gained any and maybe have lost a few pounds, depending on what the comparison date is. So the workout classes, and now walking the dawg at least once a day (and increasingly, twice, at her insistence) is counterbalancing some of the sloppy eating. I need to envision eating a little more sensibly and continuing the exercise. Weigh in once a week. Maybe shedding 5 before end of January is a reasonable goal, when figuring in some rich foods to be enjoyed over the holidays.

Tomorrow, Core Fitness class falls on Halloween, and we're welcome to wear costumes (so long as they don't cause us to fall). Teacher announced she will be wearing her feline outfit. I have a bright red "Beast Mode ... loading" tee, and thought might try to find some beastly mask to accompany it. (Maybe a wolf? --- hmmm). We do have fun in our class.

When we lived in the mountains, we annually had 2 trick or treaters, one of whom was our granddaughter. Now here on the Grand Strand, we have at least 300. I have bought several large bags of "fun-sized" candy and will ration just one piece per goblin... trying to make it last. If it doesn't will just turn off the lights. People on our community online gabfest kindly named our street as the place to take your kids for treats. Nice of them, huh? Oh well, a lot of the kids are cute -- and almost all of them say thank you. So enjoy.

Hope you have a safe and happy Halloween in your communities.

Cheers,

Superbob

Good day to you, SB! Nothing to report health-wise except that the echo I had done on the 12th for the research study needs to be redone because the tech missed some things. I go back next month.

I rarely have had a trick or treater in the 13 years I've lived in my house. Not too many kiddos in the neighborhood. So I've stopped turning on the porch light and buying candy, mostly because it is a hassle to answer the door with three dogs in the house. I hate to keep them outside for a few hours when the chances of getting a visitor are slim. But if I leave them in the house and the doorbell rings, it is pandemonium!

Happy Halloween to all readers and have a great and safe week~

Hello! I haven't posted in ages, but feel I need to start coming back online here where people understand my condition.

Anyways, I totally get it about the sloppy eating. I have been in some sort of sugar addiction mode for the past four days. (maybe a few more) and am starting to feel an expansion of my muffin top. Probably time to go cold turkey! Well, maybe after we get Hallowe'en overwith!

I have been good with the walking and yoga, although lately walking up hills I have noticed a twinge or two in my chest - maybe I should stop thinking about work at the same time. Can't tell if it's anxiety based, or if it has to do with this ridiculous "hundred day cough" virus I got over a few weeks ago, or if it's just too many treats (oink)

Welcome back, Rosalia! The walking and yoga sound good. We all struggle with striking the right balance with food. We deserve treats now and then, but the problem (mine anyway) is keeping the cravings under control. Look forward to following your progress.

HB, barking dogs -- yes that reminds me I have two of them that will be barking madly and charging the door. My DW is disabled and so unable to help out so I really get an extra workout on Halloween between doling the candy to hundreds and keeping the dogs at bay.

Whoa Superbob! Guess we should all head over to your place (300?) We live in a very small town and think all of our renter neighbors with kids have moved out so no treats here :(

Packing to head to AZ this weekend. Looks like Sunday is clear through Denver so hope to make it through there quickly as those Rockies can bring about anything anytime.

Didn't get my flu shot yet and came down with it yesterday. (that'll teach me) Feeling pretty good this evening and will help pack the truck tomorrow.

Heading for the sunshine! Will get back in here next week sometime! Now to stay away from all that snowbird eating. Thank gawwwddd we don't do buffets

Maybe being accountable, as in actually getting on the scale, will help my sloppy eating habits. KInda been afraid of that

Happy belated Halloween, everyone! We sometimes have lots of kids coming around, sometimes not. Can't plan, never know. This year, and the past couple of years, we've had small caravans of parents bringing van loads of kids around. We hear that they live in inner city neighborhoods where it is not safe to Trick-or-Treat, so the parents bring them out to the edge of town, where the streets are more welcoming. As long as they don't get into mischief, they're more than welcome. Some of them are really cute (even the children. . . ;-) ).

Hold tight, SB. We are sliding into the high-risk season for anyone trying to watch their weight. This has been a really rough week for me. I'm at work this week, and had two lunch meetings at a local Chinese restaurant. Even though I tell them "no salt" the food still causes me to gain a couple of pounds of water weight. Twice in a week? Brutal.

I'm generally doing quite well, here. I saw one of my cancer docs this week, and he is really happy with my status and progress. Things are going exactly where they should be for a long-term good result. I'm (still cautiously) optimistic, and this year will be a good Holiday season with that report in mind.

Had my annual pacemaker check, too. All is well there. No incidents to report, and still have 6.5 years' battery life left. Considering that I've had this device for over 2 years already, that means a projected battery life of 8.5 to 9 years - right on the manufacturer's projection for the "extended battery life" version I have this time.

I haven't been to an aerobics class in about 2 or 3 weeks, but I do manage to get to the gym most week days for an hour - half cardio, half weight machines. I (think I) still look OK, and feel good, so I'm happy there, too.

So - be good, everyone. I'll be. . . Stayin' the Course!

I've been really busy here, still am. DS moved into his new flat day before yesterday. It was unfurnished so DH and I have been making up the furniture from Ikea and Argos, well I've been making it since I find the instructions easy and fun, an adult construction kit, but DH finds them impossible to follow. We then had to take the things over to the flat. We have an old car which back seats come out so very good for transporting things but ut it was all hard work carrying them up a flight of stairs to the first floor. I'm now contacting all the utility companies and DWP (DS on disabiity benefits), and so on - spent nearly four hours on the phone yesterday and a couple of hours today. When will it end so I can take a break ? My shoulders really sore with all the physical work and blood glucose levels high with the stress.

No children came round on Halloween here. We had some sweets ready to hand out - I reckon they will go to DS now !

Latest posts

Back