Staying the Course -- 10/14/19

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Transitioned from in-patient rehab to in-home now. Nurses. PTs, OTs coming and going a lot. One big deal, help keep me up on Coumadin,which is a whole new thing for me.

Today my wife had a relapse so I was a nurse myself much of day. Activity aplenty.

I'll expand on things later. Late now. tired.

Tell us some stories of cheer.

Cheerio, Superbob

It must be good to be back home, but a bit more work not having the pros at the push of a button. Good to see your progress.

Stories of cheer? My wife and I celebrated our 20th anniversary with our first trip without kids since our 1st anniversary! It was awesome (but we talked about our kids a lot)! Hiked for miles including 13.5 in one stretch and 17.5 for that day. Went canoeing and horseback riding. Enjoyed tasty adult beverages with dinner.

Already talking about attempting a rim to rim hike in the Grand Canyon for our 25th. Missed the kids, but nice to be grownups.

I'm a little over 3 weeks out from TAVR. A lot more ups and downs than I expected. I think I may have caused the 1st problem when I bent over to test the 7-pin connector on the back of my van. Evidently when I bent over, I caused blood to start leaking from where the catheter had entered my femoral artery. It took almost a week for it to heal back up again.

Then I had about 4 days of feeling fantastic. I was sure it was going to last, but then overwhelming fatigue set in. I'm slowly getting better, so have no idea what caused the fatigue. Have my 1 month check-up next week, so hopefully they will be able to find any problems related to TAVR.

Start cardiac rehab next week. I told the nurse I only needed a couple of weeks of rehab and she got a big laugh out of that.

SB, glad you're home. The coumadin thing shouldn't be that difficult. There's lots of support and knowledge here.
The scale has been my friend. It's been slow but down to 180-181 now. A few months ago it was 183-184. When I bend at the waist the stomach feels like it goes in instead of out. Still want to lose 10 more lbs.
Got an email today from HR and my paperwork is there to go to a 32 hour work week. My doctor needs to sign it and I hope I can start this in November. I'm looking forward to 3 day weekends. Easing into retirement.

a little frustrating to be back home and immediately become the nurse instead of the patient Spouse has a dizzying array of ortho problems so contra to advice to pick up nothing heavier than a 10 pound milk can I find myself bearing her weight to get her up and around. Just the way it is, nobody's fault -- maybe it makes me stronger, but I miss the nurses pampering me -- that needed to last longer!

Last edited:
Back