Staying the Course -- 09/24/2018

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
We are under a Code Red emergency because of widespread flooding now occurring nearly two weeks after Hurricane Florence landfall. Thousands of people being evacuated and expected to come back to flood-ravaged homes. Sad. We are okay for now at our home, but many roads in area are closed. Schools are closed for another week.

Amid all this, today wife and I celebrate our 52nd wedding anniversary. Hope our favorite seafood restaurant will be open and we can get there for our traditional dinner celebration. If not, guess we will have Vienna sausages from our emergency kit.

So anyway have a great week.

Carolina Strong!

STAY THE COURSE!

SUPERBOB

Glad you are safe SB. Your blog answers the question I had as to why your area is experiencing more flooding when the rains have stopped. One article I read stated that water levels were at the highest since recordings had begun pre the Revolutionary War! It is so heartbreaking to read about the devasation. Many people do not carry flood insurance because they are not in flood plains. Then these 500-year storms come along and wipe them out.

I just returned from visiting my brother in Brooklyn. Flew out on Wednesday and returned Sunday. Beautiful weather and no flight delays. God to visit with a cousin I'd not seen in over 40 years. And I seem to have managed to keep my weight at a reasonable level; according to this morning's weigh-in I'm at 150.8, only a lb. over what I weighted before I left. I also learned that a big no-no for me is cheese. Well, I knew cheese has a lot of fat, but I found out just how badly it affects my glucose, with two pieces of pizza shooting it up over 170. Yikes! Guess that's the whole point of monitoring...to measure results and change eating habits if needed.

Onward to stay the course!

Thanks very much, Honeybunny! The flooding here is just beyond comprehension. Some of worst will occur today in Georgetown, nearly two weeks after Florence's landfall.

Good for you on your diligence in checking glucose levels. Follow the diabetes management guidelines appropriate to you, but I think a temporary rise to 170 within an hour or two of eating is not abnormal. I should check all this daily as ypu are doing, but i've become reassured when my A1C (three-month average, as you know) stays at 6.5 or lower, as it has now for years. Is your A1C in a good range? Nevertheless, you are right to closely monitor and I am the complacent one. I should follow your example.

As for my weight, I have no idea with all the comfort food/high stress eating. And with evacuation and everything, I haven't been able to get to exercise class the past few weeks. There's one woman in class who has pestered me constantly about that with emails, and even a phone call -- irritating! -- and my great teacher is trying to dial her back on that. I will miss again today because I have paid work catchup to do. Have a work quota per month and Florence has knocked the schedule to smithereens. Playing catchup. DO plan to resume exercise class Monday, which will be October 1, a great time for a fresh start.

So far it;s just you andme here this week, and I greatly appreciate your participation. I have been an unsteady leader of Stay the Course the past several weeks because of a combination of circumstances, but I will strive to do better if our folks still think it worthwhile.

Stay the course! CHEERS!

Hi HonneyBunney
honeybunny;n885278 said:
... I also learned that a big no-no for me is cheese. Well, I knew cheese has a lot of fat, but I found out just how badly it affects my glucose, with two pieces of pizza shooting it up over 170. Yikes!

I assumed you were joking, but in case: cheese may not be the culprit .. because you mentioned it was with pizza. Just think about that and all the carbs that may have been in the base and all the sugars that may have been in the sauce ... and you blame cheese?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317222.php
Will cheese affect blood sugar levels?
Cheese has a low glycemic index (GI), which means that it releases glucose slowly and will not trigger significant blood glucose spikes. Of course, cheese is often consumed with other foods, some of which can spike blood glucose.

then there's the ketchup likely in the sauce for the base ... of which 25% is sugar (and the water will dry out leaving just a red coating of sugars. If it was a commercial pizza, then even if its not ketchup in the the base paste you can bet your bottom dollar its as rich in sugar. I recommend you look into that.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about all the flooding. Water is an amazingly destructive force considering how much we depend on it for life. Google, “Ban dihydrogen monoxide” for some fun with fake petitions regarding the dangers of that chemical compound. Glad to read that you came through relatively unscathed.

HB, food is a funny thing. I’m always amazed at how differently people respond to various diets. One person can eat something with no trouble at all, and it will cause all kinds of havoc for another. Still, really good pizza is worth it once in a while, isn’t it?

Pellicle, I don’t believe I’ve ever witnessed ketchup as an ingredient in pizza sauce. If I ever find myself in the land down under, remind me to stay away from the pizza. Something must have been lost in translation.

Busy as always during the school year here. Finding it a bit more challenging to get my workouts in. I’m managing, but it all feels a bit forced and hurried right now. I’ve been weighing in daily just to keep it on my mind, because things can get away from me fairly quick if I don’t.

Good Morning all and guess I am late to the party again. Seems like life is just moving along smoothly and hard to post when one's life is a bit boring. I smile each and every day though as it feels so good. :)

The weather map on tv is hard to watch as there has been so much devastation. Praying it will end soon and that people can put their lives back together. Sad to read and listen to the stories. Think of you daily, SB.

HB, I admit once again that I know little about diabetes and the struggles you all go throw with those numbers. To be honest, I thought my INR would be about the same but it is just about the opposite as I adjust the dose of medicine to what I eat and seems far less sensitive. Keep on monitoring and exploring what works for you. We ALL need to exercise and watch what we eat Key is to enjoy this life also. Yep, I am one of those everything in moderation type people. WTG on staying your course!

Superman, good to see you stop by. I remember those days of children and all those activities. No one can tell you this and that you would believe it.......but those days go by way too fast, so try to enjoy them when you can. I was never so proud as when my last one graduated and I was 42 years old.....and never so sad at the same time either. Lot of years and changes have gone by but those kids keep coming home to me and still love it when they wrap their arms around me and say "Love you Mom". Now you understand my "course" Good idea on that scale also. I used to do the same but have gone to twice a week now (living on the edge you know, lol)

Have a great weekend all and will try not to be so late next week.

SB, great to hear you're surviving the storm aftermath.
I'm posting late in the week. Too busy. Last Sunday I had to install a new rain gutter in the back of the house. Luckily it's a single story so the ladder climbing was not too high. I still need to seal the seams so it doesn't leak. And timing was good as they are forecasting possible rain this next week. Hope we get rain that soaks in.
This past week my company let us know that they will shut down our group in around 3 years. I want to work for 5 more years so it's going to be my backup plan to stay.
Watched my grandson's football game last night. He's a starter this year so we can see him in action. They played well but didn't win this time. Luckily they are more focused on playing and not winning so they're getting more out of it. Maybe next week there will be a better outcome.
Only 1 walk during the week. After dinner Monday night my dog got that smile on her face and started tugging on my shirt sleeves and then ran to the front door wagging her tail. It's her routine now. So off for a walk that is good for both of us. Plan to do 5 mile walks tomorrow and Sunday but I need to do more during the week.
Hope everyone has a great weekend. SB, stay dry.

Back