Staying the Course -- 09/08/2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
I am delighted that folks drop by here to share their experiences along their life courses. post- or pre-heart surgery, or caring for loved ones. So I start a new week, and I welcome all reports. I will try to join in later this week but am just crazily exhausted right now. Hurricane defenses last week, now prep for the aneurysm, root, and valve surgery Wednesday week. My power-lift recliner supposed to be delivered Saturday. Wish I had two weeks to luxuriate in it instead of just two days to practice with it. I could use it right now.

Will write more later this week, if possible. Meanwhile, let's hear from y'all!

Cheers, Superbob

The power lift recliner is the way to go, Superbob! I lived in mine for a couple of weeks post surgery. I'm enjoying late summer at the beach house, catching my breath after a fun but tiring two weeks in Eastern Europe. Days at the beach include morning walks with Katie dog, and afternoon sessions scraping and painting wood trim getting the cottage ready to close for the winter. It's a great time of year. Life is good.
P1220537.JPG

I’m glad that Hurricane Dorian is no longer a worry, Superbob, and I wish that you were on the other side of your surgery and putting that new recliner to good use. We’re in the midst of a late season heat wave. Quite a contrast to the chilly temperatures we woke up to in northern WI last week. Happily I had Norske Nook pies to keep me warm! Now I need to get serious about losing some weight and getting my exercise regime back on track. I need @Gordo60 to post for motivation! Everyone have a good week!

Hi Superbob! I hope the hurricane situation has passed you by without too much trouble. We had a thunderstorm here in Washington that was so exciting (for us, most of y'all would probably roll your eyes at it)...I sat with the doors open and listened to the rain and thunder and watched the lightshow. We really appreciated it; not sure if it was because a break from the muggy weather was welcomed, or because of the reminder that Mother Nature has her own plans, regardless of what anyone is going through or preparing for.

Mathias was able to sleep in our bed the past 3 nights. It has been such a wonderful thing! Funny you mention your recliner...we got a new mattress that was supposed to be delivered a week before his 2nd surgery, but we didn't get it until the day before. Of course, neither of us could give it a true test the night before as we were bundles of nerves. But he tried it out this weekend and has been finally getting some rest! Yahoo!

Mathias and I wish you the very best going into your aneurysm/root/valve repair/replacement. You are such a source of inspiration...We look forward to your weekly posts and replies very much!
Much love,
J&M

I’m glad that Hurricane Dorian is no longer a worry, Superbob, and I wish that you were on the other side of your surgery and putting that new recliner to good use. We’re in the midst of a late season heat wave. Quite a contrast to the chilly temperatures we woke up to in northern WI last week. Happily I had Norske Nook pies to keep me warm! Now I need to get serious about losing some weight and getting my exercise regime back on track. I need @Gordo60 to post for motivation! Everyone have a good week!
Hi gang.

Been a bit busy lately sorry and distracted. Exercise going pretty well. Aerobic activity is generally a session of stationary cycling before breakfast. Will be warm enough for swimming soon in our home pool. Light weight training / bands two sessions per week.

However undid much of the weight loss during a break at the coast.

Heart wise they put me through a treadmill stress test which I think if that didn’t finish me off then nothing will:oops:. Geez they certainly pushed me toward the limit or it certainly felt that way. Good news is I passed with flying colours.

Otherwise waiting to get next op (9 October) after cataract surgery to laser off old corneal scar and correct remaining myopia on right eye. Behind one of the new lens has become cloudy so they need to laser that as well.

Will be glad when it’s all finished in a few months at the latest hopefully.

Had 2 stents put in on Monday. Very easy procedure and what the doctor had told me was muscle pain in my chest, is gone so must have been angina. Asked for the minimal anesthesia necessary and I never felt drugged either during or after the procedure. It has been almost 2 days and except for the small entry point for catheter and a couple of bruises on arm, I feel great.

On the other hand, I had the same problem I had after my cardiac cath in January, except much worse.

After cardiac cath, I couldn't pee for several hours. I took a flomax when I got home and an hour later I was fine. After the cath for stents, again I couldn't pee. After a few hours I was able to take a flomax, but it didn't help. At 7 pm,I asked to have a catheter put in so I could pee. They scanned my bladder and said it was completely full, over 1000 cc's.

The CNA put the catheter in and blood came out. The nurse came in and took the catheter out and re-inserted and again blood. For the next couple of hours it was blood everywhere as they tried to get the catheter in place and get me and the bed cleaned up. I think I might have gotten about 15 minutes sleep Monday night.

I had told them about the earlier problem when I had the cardiac cath and that I had been having discomfort in my abdomen ever since. I am scheduled for TAVR in 2 weeks, so it is critical this gets resolved and I don't have a repeat performance after TAVR.

After discussing several options, they finally agreed to let me go home on Tuesday, but I still have the catheter and still have blood mixed with urine, not quite as red as originally, but still very obvious. Last night the catheter started leaking and about an hour later, I was finally able to stop the leak. Have an appointment tomorrow with a local urologist to hopefully take out the catheter if bleeding has stopped.

I had never heard of this problem resulting from a heart cath before, but 2 nurses told me it is not uncommon The amount of bleeding I have is not common and they think it might have been caused by the initial insertion. Evidently the heparin and Plavix administered with procedure can cause bleeding. They also blamed an enlarged prostate, but didn't do any testing to see if in fact the prostate is enlarged.

I hadn't asked for it, but they set me up with home health care, so hopefully someone will be by today to get the catheter fastened back down properly. In trying to stop the leaking last night, I broke the plastic clamp that fastened the hose to my leg. I am holding it in place with an adhesive wrap, but it's not a very good solution.

I am going to create a post to discuss the urination and bleeding problem and see if anyone else has had the problem.

Last edited:
Had 2 stents put in on Monday. Very easy procedure and what the doctor had told me was muscle pain in my chest, is gone so must have been angina. Asked for the minimal anesthesia necessary and I never felt drugged either during or after the procedure. It has been almost 2 days and except for the small entry point for catheter and a couple of bruises on arm, I feel great.

On the other hand, I had the same problem I had after my cardiac cath in January, except much worse.

After cardiac cath, I couldn't pee for several hours. I took a flomax when I got home and an hour later I was fine. After the cath for stents, again I couldn't pee. After a few hours I was able to take a flomax, but it didn't help. At 7 pm,I asked to have a catheter put in so I could pee. They scanned my bladder and said it was completely full, over 1000 cc's.

The CNA put the catheter in and blood came out. The nurse came in and took the catheter out and re-inserted and again blood. For the next couple of hours it was blood everywhere as they tried to get the catheter in place and get me and the bed cleaned up. I think I might have gotten about 15 minutes sleep Monday night.

I had told them about the earlier problem when I had the cardiac cath and that I had been having discomfort in my abdomen ever since. I am scheduled for TAVR in 2 weeks, so it is critical this gets resolved and I don't have a repeat performance after TAVR.

After discussing several options, they finally agreed to let me go home on Tuesday, but I still have the catheter and still have blood mixed with urine, not quite as red as originally, but still very obvious. Last night the catheter started leaking and about an hour later, I was finally able to stop the leak. Have an appointment tomorrow with a local urologist to hopefully take out the catheter if bleeding has stopped.

I had never heard of this problem resulting from a heart cath before, but 2 nurses told me it is not uncommon The amount of bleeding I have is not common and they think it might have been caused by the initial insertion. Evidently the heperin and Plavix administered with procedure can cause bleeding. They also blamed an enlarged prostate, but didn't do any testing to see if in fact the prostate is enlarged.

I hadn't asked for it, but they set me up with home health care, so hopefully someone will be by today to get the catheter fastened back down properly. In trying to stop the leaking last night, I broke the plastic clamp that fastened the hose to my leg. I am holding it in place with an adhesive wrap, but it's not a very good solution.

I am going to create a post to discuss the urination and bleeding problem and see if anyone else has had the problem.
I’m so sorry. Thx for the update. We all hope for the best for you going forward.

Urine is now a nice yellow with no blood. Hopefully I will have catheter removed tomorrow and will be able to pee normally again.

I’m so sorry. Thx for the update. We all hope for the best for you going forward.

Oh man, nobody should have to go through that. Please keep us posted as you can. Don’t try to overdo at all. Sending best wishes and thinking of you daily.

Update: Appt with urologist today. He thinks my prostate is swollen just enough that any trauma to it restricts urination. He said taking flomax daily should resolve problem and I likely won't have a repeat performance after TAVR. He said the bleeding was from heparin used during the procedure.

Last edited:
Wow Rich01, glad to hear you're doing better. Hope it continues.
Went to Kauai a couple weeks ago for my granddaughter's 3rd birthday. Did a 2 hour hike in Waimea canyon to the top of a waterfall. Lots of up and down. Had a good time there and was able to do a couple long walks.
Passed my 7th anniversary of my new valve without any fanfare. Seems to be doing well. I hope to get at least another 7 years out of it.
The weather here in So Cal is still like summer. I hear it's going to be hot this weekend. As long as it's not 100 I'm fine. This past week there was a fire in the local hills. It took a few days to get under control. And we had a small earthquake this week, 3.9 close to my work. Shook my workbench. Never boring here.
Looking forward to doing some walking this weekend. The past weekends were too busy to do much. I have an old car and last Sunday went to a swap meet. Walked there but not as much as I would with my group. No distractions this weekend.
Hope everyone is doing well, especially SB and others that are struggling.

Latest posts

Back