Staying the Course -- 08-20-2018

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Hello everyone. Hope your weeks are going well. I've been busy trying to catch up after taking care of son post-op and grandkids as well. He's doing better and school starts tomorrow, so should have a little more time. I'm trying to catch up with my free-lance work load also before end of month.

County government, looking to cut budget, is expecting fitness teachers to teach twice as many people for half what they were making, so naturally my fitness teacher and other teachers are going to be leaving. Quite fortunately, I have joined the fitness club where she teaches similar classes, so I won't be cut off from training, thank goodness. Might even have access to more classes.

Just as with schools, physical education, music and arts are among the first activities to be cut -- the very things that enrich our lives so much and help keep us physically and mentally healthy....

{Stepping off the soapbox now)....

When school opens, may start going to community pool also in order to diversify my fitness program. Will I do underwater planks? Probably not.

Cheers all,

Superbob

Wow, no response. zero,nada, zilch! I know it is late August, but surely you are not all soaking up rays at the beach.

Are we staying the course, or just sitting it out?

I know my starter posts have been less than inspiring, so here are a few philosophical questions to ponder:

Is there a meaning to life? If so, what is it?

Does fate exist? If so, do we have free will?

If freedom means being able to do what you want, are animals freer than humans?

What activities cause you to feel like you are living life to its fullest?

How important is play in living a healthy and fulfilling life?

What percent of your life do you feel truly alive? When do you feel that way? How can you feel that way more often?

That is just a small sampling from conversationsstartersworld.com -- in case you'd like to ponder more philosophical questions while watching the waves come crashing in...

Will any conversations start? We'll see.

Reporting in from Houston. Work has slowed down just a tad so I was able to check out the forum.

That's a shame, SB, about the budget cuts. You are correct; enrichment programs are the first to lose funding. If the monies are redirected to protect our schoolchildren, that's OK...I approve. Santa Fe HS, which had the shootings in May and is about 20 miles from me, is taking steps to improve security. I worry about my 16-yo granddaughter who attends Dickinson HS, which is not far from SFHS. She outright worries about shootings. Says there are exit doors all over the school that are kept unlocked, through which evil doers can easly gain access. And I worry for her, and my two younger grands who are in 5th and8th grade.

On a health note, I may have discovered a supplement to help my blood sugar. I wrote awhile back how it was high in the a.m. by as much as 148 when it should be around 100. Read a recent article in one of my tabloids about black currants helping to reduce blood sugar, and even though it was yellow journalism, I purchased a small packet of the freezed dried fruit from Nuts.com. Arrived over the weekend and I've been munching on them, partilarly before I go to sleep, and for the 3 days this week glucose has been between 105 and 110. Significant decrease!! To test whether or not the currants are having a positive effect, I will not eat any tonight and see what my sugar is in the a.m. Either way, I ordered a 2-lb bag this afternoon. I'm not trying to use a shortcut; I still watch my diet and all.

So that is my report for this week. Have a good what is left of it!

Loved your philosophical questions SB !

I'm having steroid injections for my shoulders first thing tomorrow morning - now in the 8th month of worsening pain despite physio and rest and doing everything I should. I am getting so unfit due to this.

I'm glad you found something that appears to help lower your blood glucose levels honeybunny - amazing that black currants do this !

Keep us posted on currant events, HB! : ) Those of us with blood sugar issues will certainly be interested. And good luck with the steroid injections, paleowoman -- hope they bring relief from the shoulder pain.

Not much to report from So Cal. Fires are under control. Just working. Today is my 6 year anniversary of my OHS. Not walking enough so gained a few lbs and cardio not as strong. Still doing well but hope to improve. Enjoy the end of Summer.

Happy 6th valversary, Martin! And thank goodness those wildfires have come under control in the Golden State. We can all look forward to autumn walking weather. Getting a preview here the next few days with lowered humidity.

Superbob;n884813 said:
Wow, no response. zero,nada, zilch! I know it is late August, but surely you are not all soaking up rays at the beach.

Are we staying the course, or just sitting it out?

I know my starter posts have been less than inspiring, so here are a few philosophical questions to ponder:

Is there a meaning to life? If so, what is it?

Does fate exist? If so, do we have free will?

If freedom means being able to do what you want, are animals freer than humans?

What activities cause you to feel like you are living life to its fullest?

How important is play in living a healthy and fulfilling life?

What percent of your life do you feel truly alive? When do you feel that way? How can you feel that way more often?

That is just a small sampling from conversationsstartersworld.com -- in case you'd like to ponder more philosophical questions while watching the waves come crashing in...

Will any conversations start? We'll see.

If you were to drive at the speed of light, then turn your headlights on, would you notice?

Been out of town for work. Got to use the hotel fitness center. They had this Peloton workout bike that broadcast routines from their studio in New York. It was novel, I got s good workout, but it wasn’t the same as sweating with a group of people love. One thing I did like was that it showed your stats relative to other riders that day or at that time. Climbed right up that board once I saw that.

But, all that said, my travel food budget for work offset my workouts and I broke even.

Well I made it in and see it is just about the end of week. Love it when I also have nothing to report......zero....nada! lol

SB I wish the government would sometimes just quit cutting all the "good stuff" If only some of them knew just how important physical fitness is throughout life. Your other option (the pool) sounds awesome though and I heard pool workouts are really good.

HB, aren't those Grand kids important! I would worry also. I do not have any sugar issues (except the kind that go right to my butt) but yes, do keep us posted on your new findings. My sis has diabetes and has a heck of a time getting her cancer re checks done as her numbers are always bad. Hope to share your findings with her. Thanks.

Martin, Happy Anniversary! The weight and exercise are why we are here posting. Keep the goals but make them achievable. Small steps as we are in this for life. I am the queen of small steps but feel my better days are coming also.

Superman, great to hear your dedication with those out of town business trips. Easy to let things slide when not at home. My son uses an exercise bike (not Pelaton) and has lost a lot of weight. Me? I call them a clothes hanger, ha ha. Now I may live to eat those words as I get back exercising.

Yes, nothing beats the nice fall weather for walks and outside activity without the high heat and humidity. We actually have a rainy day today but back in the 90's tomorrow.

Good rest of the week to all!

OMG! Anne, I do apologize. I certainly read your post as I had hope to hear you were better. Steroid shots? I did a round of steroids before leaving the hospital and felt kind of weird for couple of weeks. I had the swollen round face but my skin looked like it did in my twenties. Not sure it was worth it but didn't seem to have many long lasting problems. I wish you well and know how you feel about loosing fitness. Stinks! Take care and do keep us posted.

Hi jwinter - the steroid shots are not systemic ones, they're just in the shoulder joint to reduce inflammation of the bursae so I won't get a swollen round face. I'm currently sitting here with steroid flares which are to be expected - taking lots of pain killers.....I do hope this works once the flare dies down. I'm taking it very easy at the moment !

I have lots to say, but most of it not about heart valve replacement. I would write for hours on the philosophical questions SB posted above.

On heart valve topics, I could ask about switching cardiologist, but don't want to bore readers or hijack the 'course' topic, I may post this question in another place on the forum.

On the 'staying the course' news front, I'm switching my fitness center to the YMCA in a town 20 miles away. I visited them yesterday and think they may provide a better fit for my needs. They not only have a fitness center and pool, but offer classes like yoga and senior sports like pickleball. I think I can also find more social interaction there. I'm also considering offering to mentor kids in need and coaching some of the children sports.

Living in rural western PA, being retired and working out of the house,I rarely get to practice or develop my social people skills. This is how I joke about it with my wife, but it is somewhat true. I spend more time interacting with technology or my dogs than I do with humans. This is not good for us elder folks.
Lately when I go to my nearby Walmart and see some 300 pound woman wearing a bikini blocking the isle with her cart full of potato chips and soda, I'm more inclined to bark at her than say excuse me. My wife tells me I need to get out more often.

I'm pleased others have checked in. I like hearing from my heart friends. Wishing you all happy days.

I even enjoy reading Pellicle posts, with his logical, fact full, down-under personality and strange humor. BTW, my friend, you would be proud of the spreadsheet and chart I emailed my cardiologist when he asked me to monitor my blood pressure for a few days. Love giving those guys facts in a form a 6 year old can read. I missed what you posted that SB didn't approval, but suspect that is a sensitive topic that I should leave alone. :)

Where are Steve, HB, and others whoI have forgotten?

Staying the course, some of the time - my wife made chocolate brownies :(

Fred

Hi Fred - I've always done a graph of my pressure gradients and ejection fraction which I've added to after each echo which my cardiologist always asks for a copy of, he really appreciates it. He forwarded a copy of it to the latest cardiac surgeon I saw last year. It really shows how the gradients rise with time which is clear enough for a 6 year old and much more immediate for a cardio than if they have to look back through echo results print outs. I also record my blood pressure on a template chart which I print which I got from the Bicuspid Aortic Foundation some years ago, again my cardiologist always likes a copy. I think he appreciates the info in easy to see formats.

Good to hear from all of y'all this week. Fred, I always appreciate your sense of humor. Your observations about "social people skills" and the 300-pound gal in a bikini at Wal-Mart just about made me spit my evening coffee across the room. Social skills are an area in which I no doubt could improve too, I'm sure. I approach my 8th decade on earth as a jaded old newspaperman who probably has not yet fully mellowed out as he should.

Anyway, just let me clarify: I agreed to keep this thread going when the old weight-loss Throwdown seemed to be ending and some folks wanted to keep it going in a new form. I don't have any official designation or powers as moderator. I am not a censor. I do not approve or disapprove posts. All are welcome to take part here. Any rules of decorum would be Hank's per the whole site. I do not wish to go back and replay any instances in which I may have been irritated, frazzled, moody, unpleasant or whatever. I prefer to just move forward. So that said, I am not preventing anyone from posting here. Peace out.

Fred, I know I'm a good person, so I've stopped caring what strangers might think of me, when I'm out and about. Not interacting with lots of people is not necessarily a bad thing.

FredW;n884835 said:
. BTW, my friend, you would be proud of the spreadsheet and chart I emailed my cardiologist when he asked me to monitor my blood pressure for a few days. Love giving those guys facts in a form a 6 year old can read.

Good one mate :)

Wear them down with empirical evidence ... I reckon it forces them to confront their theories and give you respect and credence as you deserve.

I agree with your wife, get out more and bark at those wallMartians with enough good energy in their trollies to feed a small refugee camp :)

(I assume that's what your wife meant right?)

On the subject of good food and health balance

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/regular-daily-alcohol-intake-is-best-for-heart-health-study-finds

Cheers

I've enjoyed all the posts this week. As we get older it's very important for us to have a social life. My wife and I have run 2-3 days a week with a club and friends. Right now we meet Tuesday night, Sat & Sun mornings and after we eat and visit after for an hour. Don't become a recluse, it's not healthy.

Back