Staying the Course -- 08/12/2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
What a week! So many discussions by our hearty band of Coursers. Shows what a dynamic site we have (and of course I mean all of vr.org, not just our little corner).

I want to extend a warm welcome to Rich1 to our STC gang. Rich, you started a great discussion about VitD, about which I know precious little (except it comes from milk and sunshine, right? lol). You and others raised important points, thus motivating me to learn more. That's one of the strengths of our heart health forum.

My thoughts are mostly about myself and my pending surgery and my hopes and fears -- and I have done enough of all that. Don't want this thread to be mainly about me. I do have one little question I might ask my cardiac nurse about (but don't want to pester her right now). Maybe some of y'all have thoughts or experiences. When doing my dental prep work this summer to ensure no infections lurked, my dentist found major decay under two of my bottom front teeth. (Damn it, I liked those teeth!) Concluded that if tried to fill them, would likely crumble, be a mess. So we (they) yanked them and they put in a partial/removeable. Now I'm certain in surgeries they have you remove all partials --choking hazard of course. But that leaves a 2-tooth gap right up front. Is there any danger of some tube getting lodged in between there. (I warned you this was trivial.) They must have dealt with about everything imaginable and this presents no problem I would think -- especially since you are totally conked out. But thought I would ask if any others had dental challenges in their surgeries.)

Good grief, I have rambled.

Really look forward to another great week here,

(Good grief, I first labeled this 09/12/2019 -- were that so, this would be week before the surgery, and I really would be as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs.)

Cheers,
Superbob
🦸‍♂️

When I had the surgery in 1967 I had a front upper partial (4 teeth).........never take a swing at a guy who is holding a pair of roller skates in his hand 'cause you will loose. I am sure it was removed and I probably didn't get it back for a couple days.:giggle:

Last edited:
Week off this week! Partial stay-cation, partial hitting the road later this week for a short stay in St Louis. Built shelves in the garage today, suspending them from the ceiling for more clearance underneath. I used heavy duty steel cable and a crimping tool. Support is barely visible. Pretty clean look overall.

Finishing touches on trimming out the mud room redo tomorrow. Yard work before vacation on Wednesday.

Have never been to St Louis, so we’re looking forward to a trip up the Arch, the Zoo, some museums, a riverboat, etc.

Bob, I don’t miss that pre-surgery anxiety. Hope it comes and goes quickly and uneventfully.

I travel to STL about once a month. Hubby and I meet up with our kids from central MO, spend a night sometimes two, and go to area attractions. As you mention, the zoo is always good, a tour of the Budweiser brewery, Grant’s Farm, the St. Louis Science Center and planetarium, the City Museum if you have kids, Riverboat cruises. I haven’t been to the Arch since they finished the renovation, but it’s always worth fighting the crowds. We held a valve replacement member reunion in STL about ten years ago. We had dinner at one of the Italian restaurants on the city’s south side. I hope you enjoy your visit as much as the VR members enjoyed theirs!

Enjoy that trip, Superman! Sounds fun.

As Duffey knows, I am a fanatical fan of the St. Louis Cardinals, even though I've never been to see them play at their home park. My DW and I did drive to Pittsburgh several times from Richmond to see them play weekend series against the Pirates. PNC Park there is a wonderful ballpark. Became a fan because as a tadpole growing up in Virginia, I idolized Stan "the Man" Musial, one of all-time greats as a player -- and human being.

Once while still working for the paper, I went to a conference maybe 20 miles out from St. Louis. That's the closest I've gotten. Maybe I should put it on my post-recovery bucket list to get some Redbirds 2020 tickets and come out there next summer.

Anyway, Superman, enjoy Saint Louie!

Just got a call. The doctor is almost insisting on stents, so I gave in. Sounds like they want to do the stents in the next couple of weeks, followed shortly after with TAVR. I figured if getting the stents means I can have TAVR and avoid open heart surgery, I still come out way ahead. Probably the stents through the wrist and TAVR through the groin. Probably 1 night in hospital for stents and 2 nights for TAVR.

Just got a call. The doctor is almost insisting on stents, so I gave in. Sounds like they want to do the stents in the next couple of weeks, followed shortly after with TAVR. I figured if getting the stents means I can have TAVR and avoid open heart surgery, I still come out way ahead. Probably the stents through the wrist and TAVR through the groin. Probably 1 night in hospital for stents and 2 nights for TAVR.

Maybe they use stents to open up space for the TAVR catheter to get to its destination? I'm just purely guessing on that one. Looks like we could be just down the road from each other in our September surgeries -- yours at Wake Forest, mine at UNC/Chapel Hill! Right there in the heart of ACC basketball territory.

Got to say I envy you being set up with TAVR. I had no problem with my recent cath entering via the wrist. With aortic root, valve, and aneurysm all in play in my case, surgeon has no choice but to go open heart to see and fix what he needs to see and fix. I'm likely to get a lot more cardiac rehab than you will need. In any event, wish you the best and do keep us posted.

Maybe they use stents to open up space for the TAVR catheter to get to its destination? I'm just purely guessing on that one. Looks like we could be just down the road from each other in our September surgeries -- yours at Wake Forest, mine at UNC/Chapel Hill! Right there in the heart of ACC basketball territory.

Got to say I envy you being set up with TAVR. I had no problem with my recent cath entering via the wrist. With aortic root, valve, and aneurysm all in play in my case, surgeon has no choice but to go open heart to see and fix what he needs to see and fix. I'm likely to get a lot more cardiac rehab than you will need. In any event, wish you the best and do keep us posted.
I have some arteries that are partially blocked. They strongly recommend stents before I have TAVR. Something about additional pressure during the valve replacement. I went to Duke first, but I feel more comfortable at Wake Forest.

I had a cardiac cath via the groin in January and did it without anesthesia. The upcoming stent procedure will be the 1st time I have ever had anesthesia. It sounds silly, but I have always had a fear of anesthesia. I felt that if I went under, I would never wake up again. Had the fear since I was a teen. Both the stent and TAVR will use conscious sedation, so I feel at least a little comfortable about it.

I haven't decided what I will do about rehab. I'm considering going to an Ornish Rehab, but there are no local ones so I would have to spend 9 (I think) weeks somewhere - probably Norfolk or Ashville. I'm wondering if taking my trailer and making it a vacation might work. Or maybe since it will probably be close to November by the time I'm ready for rehab, I should find a warmer place to go.

Enjoy that trip, Superman! Sounds fun.

As Duffey knows, I am a fanatical fan of the St. Louis Cardinals, even though I've never been to see them play at their home park. My DW and I did drive to Pittsburgh several times from Richmond to see them play weekend series against the Pirates. PNC Park there is a wonderful ballpark. Became a fan because as a tadpole growing up in Virginia, I idolized Stan "the Man" Musial, one of all-time greats as a player -- and human being.

Once while still working for the paper, I went to a conference maybe 20 miles out from St. Louis. That's the closest I've gotten. Maybe I should put it on my post-recovery bucket list to get some Redbirds 2020 tickets and come out there next summer.

Anyway, Superman, enjoy Saint Louie!
Superbob, you definitely need to catch some games! If you could make Opening Day, that would be crazy fun. The entire city goes nuts, and love for the Redbirds is palatable. Better pick night games if you prefer July/August. St. Louis is mighty hot in the summer. I would love to join you at the ballpark if your bucket list becomes a reality.

I have some arteries that are partially blocked. They strongly recommend stents before I have TAVR. Something about additional pressure during the valve replacement. I went to Duke first, but I feel more comfortable at Wake Forest.

I had a cardiac cath via the groin in January and did it without anesthesia. The upcoming stent procedure will be the 1st time I have ever had anesthesia. It sounds silly, but I have always had a fear of anesthesia. I felt that if I went under, I would never wake up again. Had the fear since I was a teen. Both the stent and TAVR will use conscious sedation, so I feel at least a little comfortable about it.

I haven't decided what I will do about rehab. I'm considering going to an Ornish Rehab, but there are no local ones so I would have to spend 9 (I think) weeks somewhere - probably Norfolk or Ashville. I'm wondering if taking my trailer and making it a vacation might work. Or maybe since it will probably be close to November by the time I'm ready for rehab, I should find a warmer place to go.

Interesting. I read a Dean Ornish book years ago and gather he's into plant-based nutrition. That's great, but unlikely I'll ever give up my ribs and BBQ. I'm sure his approach has much merit, but I could never adhere to it. Looks like he has a really upscale rehab facility. In my case, the surgeon told me back in May I'd probably be in the hospital 5-7 days and then he might recommend me for a stay in a nursing/rehab facility. My cardiologist said it would likely be just a week. Then back home it'd probably be a few months before I went into out-patient cardiac rehab -- my Mended Hearts buddies can recommend some good ones for me close to home.

Last edited:
Interesting. I read a Dean Ornish book years ago and gather he's into plant-based nutrition. That's great, but unlikely I'll ever give up my ribs and BBQ. I'm sure his approach has much merit, but I could never adhere to it. Looks like he has a really upscale rehab facility. In my case, the surgeon told me back in May I'd probably be in the hospital 5-7 days and then he might recommend me for a stay in a nursing/rehab facility. My cardiologist said it would likely be just a week. Then back home it'd probably be a few months before I went into out-patient cardiac rehab -- my Mended Hearts buddies can recommend some good ones for me close to home.
There's an Ornish based cardiac rehab in Wilmington (New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NHRMC) Heart Center). They offer other cardiac rehab besides the Ornish program. I don't know if that is close to you or not. I only know because I was looking for a rehab center near the beach!

There's an Ornish based cardiac rehab in Wilmington (New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NHRMC) Heart Center). They offer other cardiac rehab besides the Ornish program. I don't know if that is close to you or not. I only know because I was looking for a rehab center near the beach!

Thanks for letting me know that, Rich. It's only about 90 minutes away from us, so if it were an in-patient stay, could be doable. Bet it's a terrific place. Will be exploring all options.

One thing that wasn't available when I had my OHS in 1991 was the dental implant. I was lucky that I didn't lose any front teeth. If I had the money, I may consider one -- they're getting less expensive every few months.

I don't know a lot about them, but they may be worth considering before surgery.

I saw SB call me out a while ago. I've just been busy. Took a trip to the Midwest to visit family and when I came back to work I was slammed with work and a couple URGENT jobs that are still going 3 weeks later. I think it's winding down now.
I'm not walking as much as I need to and with the stress I really need the walks. And I need to run, the yearly Pancake Race should be in Sept or Oct. Stamina is still low.
Coming up on 7 years anniversary of my MVR. Valve seems to be doing well.
Nothing else to report. SB, sounds like you're doing well with the upcoming surgery.
Everyone have a great upcoming weekend. Tomorrow is Happy Friday. MartinF

Latest posts

Back