Staying the Course -- 08/06/2018

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Sorry so late -- almost forgot. Really distracted. My son is having major neck and back surgery in the morning; I have to take him to hospital at 530 a.m. so this will be short. I haven't even memorized the name of the procedure (other than it being the Peyton Manning surgery) but understand they go in through the throat some and remove a damaged vertebra and put in a new one. Personally, I think I would rather have heart surgery but we do hear from a lot of people who have had it with good results. He won't be able to drive for at least a week, and he's divorced and my wife is in poor health, so basically I will be doing the best I can as his nurse for a while. His 3 kids, my grandkiddies, will be there for a few days when he gets home and he thinks he will put them to work taking care of him. They are great kids but how realistic is that expectation for kids 4, 11, and 14 years old? I expect I'll have to take them on short outings just to be sure he gets his rest time.

So anyway, I will be very busy and probably won't be back here this week.

Hope you all have a good week.

Hey, SB - Not sure if you will be checking in to see this any time soon, but your son is most assuredly on our prayer list. Any surgery is serious, and it sounds like his is pretty far up there on the complexity scale. We hope he will soon be up to his usual activities and understand that you may not be too visible here as you pitch in.

I agree that expecting the kids to help a lot may be a stretch, but they can probably do simple things if they are around. Things like getting dad a drink, bringing him the meals or snacks that grandpa prepares, finding the remote, answering the phone, etc. They can also keep dad company once dad feels up to conversation. Sometimes just "being there" is all that is needed. Keep an open mind and let dad and the kids find there own way. I know you'll be there to be sure nothing important is missed.

I'll try to peek in periodically to see who else drops in. Otherwise, I'll be Stayin' the Course.

Wow, quiet week to say the least. I guess I chilled it at the start with my discussion of son's surgery. Anyway, it was a three-hour surgery and doc removed 5 herniated discs and replaced them. Son was eating lunch an hour out of recovery and then even walking to the cafeteria for a gyro -- he was hungry. Rather than being wheelchaired to pickuo the next morning, he was standing outside the hospital rarin' to go with his backpack by his side...and you're right,Steve. the kids have been god helpers for their dad. Of course I have made many food/med/etc visits and trips over to his place. So hoping he continues to recover well and doesn't overdo it.

Meanwhile, a second surgery came along. The Memphis cat, as we call her, aka Miss Whimsy, fell very sick and stopped eating -- acted like she might be trying but unable to expel a hairball, I thought. I managed to get a vets' appointment and they found that she had several teeth in terrible condition. My daughter in Tennessee had rescued her years ago, and eventually they came here for visit with her, and she wound up staying. Had been very healthy til this happened, but apparently daughter had not had regular vet checks for her. Anyway, the vet's diagnosis was right on -- they did dental extractions, and caught her up on everything -- and she's one happy and hungry cat back home now.

So two surgeries and two positive outcomes to this point. Wallet's a lite lighter but hated to see Miss Whimsy suffering.

Hoping all is well with rest of our friends.

Stayin' the course.

Cheers, Superbob

Hi Bob, very pleased to hear your son is recovering well and it all went smoothly!
Best wishes to both of you (and his kids, I have 3 also) and Miss Whimsy :)

Latest posts

Back