Staying the Course -- 07/29/2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
OOps, well not only did Monday pass me by as start-up day for we Coursers, nearly the whole week did. Yet another senior moment. Oh well...

Yes all is reasonably well, thanks for asking, Duffey (and for the reminder)...

Has been busy week - appointment with cardio (who mainly gave me and the family some good tips for recovery and rehab and their caretaking etc.) She thinks after the hospital, I'll probably have about a week's stay in a rehab center. I will go with whatever facility my surgeon likes up there in Chapel Hill rather than one back here 200 miles south. Figure it'll be best if he and his team, including my cardiac nurse, are close by.

Nephew and his family came for his son's week-long baseball tournament here. Jake (who is a catcher) got to catch the first pitch of the tourney thrown out by Hall-of-Fame shortstop Ozzie Smith. That was a great thrill for him and fam.

So it's Friday. We are thinking of shopping around for heart-patient-friendly recliners. I practically lived in one for two or more months after my first OHS almost 15 years ago. However, it was hard to get the leg rest back down. I may just go with our current reclining sofa, which is pretty easy to get in and out of. Doesn't hurt to check the market, though.

Well, I have backdated the week's start, so y'all can play catch-up on your week, too, if you'd like.

Cheers,
Superbob
🦸‍♂️

Hi SB ! You were busy, that’s why you forgot the start-up day !

I’ve been really preoccupied with problems. Continuing ones with our son and my shoulder/sternum pain. But now also problems with the conservatory work we had done a few weeks ago. The polycarbonate roofing is making awful cracking noises with temperature changes, really loud and frequent and long. First the suppliers’ surveyor found that the builders hadn’t left a big enough gap between the sheets for expansion so they came back and cut the sheets a bit - a whole day’s disruption and after the builder's boss was quite rude to me about it. Now the noises continue and I discovered that the builders did not use the rafter gaskets supplied, so that’s likely to be the cause of the problem as they cushion the polycarbonate. The surveyor is coming back to look next week. But the builders have been paid and I doubt they will come back with their attitude. They’re a big local firm too. It will mean a load of aggro and DH doesn’t like this kind of thing but the builder’s boss was so rude to me that I can’t deal with him……grrrr

I slept on our sofa for six weeks post op and found it really comfortable. It isn’t a recliner but it’s just the right height and comfort with lots of cushions and pillows for support sleeping against them. Hope yours will be good for you or that you find a new recliner SB !

Glad all is well in your world, Superbob, and wish things were better in yours, Paleowoman. I understand your aggravation! Regarding the recliner issue, I intend to buy one next surgery that uses a button to control the bottom section. The current recliner, bought almost fifteen years ago for valve replacement recovery, has a lever that I found difficult to use post-op. Superbob, I can’t believe that you haven’t posted a picture of your great nephew with Ozzie!

It's too quiet here. Some of us are still processing the weekend events here in the US. My only comment now is that we, in the US, must do something. Talking about it is not the answer. #stoptakingdosomething

he writes about it, doing nothing... :(

I'm not going to be silent anymore about my feeling about 'no more AK's, no more NRA, talk less, love more.'

Just trying to make a difference.

Fred, I am truly sorry about what happened in America. People should grieve and do something.

But, didn't you say in the other post we should keep politics out of it (as defined by Americans, not us foreigners).

I've noticed on more than one occasion that politics is not OK, if the poster is conservative, but progressives can break their own 'no politics' rule. Yes, I know, the NRA isn't a political party.

There might be sociocultural issues involved in these mass murders. Like, the world has 'evolved', and more trendy values have destroyed ideals that used to keep society safe. Why didn't this stuff happen 50 years ago? Should we keep weapons away from such people? Absolutely. I don't think we should demonize law abiding people, in the process.

I feel sad for these families. They have every right to be angry. Their plight is now going to be politicized by both sides of the aisle.

We do need to love more. Why can't we?

Last edited:
Skeptic, we all deserve to feel safe matey. I don't see why it should be a taboo topic. It's not an 'issue', it's humanity. If heart losers like us can't empathize there's something wrong. We used to blame murderers for murders. My comment was in relation to what I thought was double standards.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of a no politics rule, and I have my doubts that 'conservatives' aren't posting along with 'liberals' because they feel compelled to obey the rules.

Agian: you ask about 50 years ago. 50 years ago, AK-7s and other weapons that are designed for only one purpose - to kill people - weren't available.

As seen last weekend, a 19 year old child can buy an AK 47 and a hundred or more bullets, without restrictions, and use it to kill 21 (the latest count) people. A 24 year old could buy an assault weapon and two 100 shot magazines that he probably would have emptied if the Dayton police weren't nearby. Last weekend, a child in California drove to a neighboring state (Nevada) and bought an assault rifle and ammunition, and used it to commit murder at the Gilroy Garlic Festival. Unfortunately, it would be easy to assemble a list of more than 200 mass shootings in the United States SO FAR THIS YEAR.

Warfarin is dangerous. If it gets into the wrong hands, a person who didn't know what it's for or how to use it could kill him or herself or, if malice is at play, can use it as a poison. That's why it's only available by prescription.

Assault weapons that can, and do, cause a lot more damage than a couple bottles of warfarin could, is available with few controls. WHY?

When the second amendment was written, I doubt that the authors and those who ratified the amendment could even DREAM of 'arms' that could get off more than one shot a minute. I can't imagine them conceiving of weapons that could shoot hundreds or more each minute.

I have doubts that the writers of the amendment would approve of the way it's been subverted into putting most, if not all, of these weapons into the hands of almost every adult (18 years or older).

We had an assault weapons ban decades ago. Why not, at least, re-establish it.

Oh - was that political? Gee. I'm so sorry.

Agian - I just saw our post about blaming murderers for murders.

We don't blame car manufacturers for most accidents - unless there's a defect in the car. If the brakes don't work, or the car shifts out of Park into Drive, or if the car accelerates on its own - these are all things that the manufacturers can get blamed for.

If a driver of a van intentionally runs down a group of tourists, you blame the driver of the van.

BUT - if a company manufacturers a weapon with the sole purpose of murdering people (not for sport shooting, not for protection, not for hunting), and it gets into the hands of a person who uses it for its intended purpose - the manufacturer should also bear responsibility.

If they manufacture the weapons for use in wars or armed conflicts, they're probably off the hook. But selling it to ANYONE shouldn't exempt them from responsibility.

More politics? Maybe just a concern for humanity.

It's too quiet here. Some of us are still processing the weekend events here in the US. My only comment now is that we, in the US, must do something. Talking about it is not the answer. #stoptakingdosomething

he writes about it, doing nothing... :(

I'm not going to be silent anymore about my feeling about 'no more AK's, no more NRA, talk less, love more.'

Just trying to make a difference.
I totally agree, but this is a valve site. (You’re like me. Totally fed up and need to vent anywhere).

So ... do something. Turn out the vote for candidates who support your views. Knock on doors and canvass. Hold up the letter P in a giant lit up sign of your candidates name on a highway overpass. ... I did all of those in 2016 for the first time, helped flip our congressional seat to someone I support. It was out of my comfort zone but very rewarding. Going out again next week to door knock at the grassroots in my own town. Citizen votes lead to policy votes.

I agree about 'do something' but I'm also not sure this thread is the best place for it. Perhaps a new thread would open it up more, and make it easier to find political talk. It'll be a shame if someone whose life was extended by getting a mechanical valve would have it shortened by some crazy person who had access to killing devices (weapons of war). It's an equal shame if ANYONE gets killed by these things.

But Moscow Mitch, or Massacre Mitch, or just plain Senate Majority Leader (and turtle impersonator) blocks meaningful legislation that can help reduce access to these damned weapons designed for mass murder.

Terms like 'assault rifle' and the like are for dramatic effect. Weapons designed to kill... well yeah... that's exactly what they are, just like any other firearm. Do you guys understand the difference between automatic and semi-automatic? The default mode is the latter. Most pistols are semi automatic, so the argument about rifles with this capacity is moot.

Weapons with automatic capacity should not be so freely available. Is this what the argument is? If so, then I agree. The problem you have, is that if they're already out there (they shouldn't be) then passing legislation to remove them, is only likely to disarm the good guys.

On the one hand, you need to convince people you don't want to disarm law-abiding citizens, on the other you need to find a way to remove them from the bad guys first. I honestly believe the anti-gun lobby in your country is insincere and do in fact want to disarm citizens, because according to them, anyone who owns a weapon specifically 'designed to kill' must somehow be an arsehole. They say similar things about people who eat meat and anyone who doesn't believe a man on estrogen should use the girls' toilets.

Moscow Mitch... let me guess... He's a republican. Yes, the current Russian government had a preferred candidate for the US elections. So did most other countries, depending on their interests. Then there are the online propagandists who use various means to influence opinion online. Some are Russians, some are Indonesians, some are (I dunno), pick a random country. I bet MI5 had online kiddies singing the praises of the other side. So what?

People voted for Trump, but didn't want to admit it, lest the virtue signaling brigade targeted them and called them names, like fascist, bigot etc... So when he won, it was like wtf. I think many people vote for conservative parties because they are sick of the social engineering. We're sick of it too. Talk to rural Dutch people and they'll tell you they didn't want their country being turned into a centre for degeneracy, where the tax-payer pays for sex workers (often survivors of trauma themselves) for people who can't get laid, to assist their 'mental health'. Or, the progressive German school book on sex education that talked about sisters and brothers exploring each other's bodies. We can't stop the force of 'progress', can we?

The same folks who have an issue with people 'murdering' animals for food, believe piglets have more right to life than an unborn child. Someone breaks into your house terrorizes your family, scarring your children for life... but he's just a misunderstood poet... the product of a cruel society.

Get rid of the bad guys first and maybe people will be less paranoid and won't need to arm themselves with 'weapons' they can't use anyway. This is what fear does to people. When common sense goes out the window, so does justice.

If I said Moronic Morrison (who?) no one here would care. Massacre Mitch? Who did he kill? Now watch what happens when I say there are some unexplained deaths associated with the Clintons. Just for laughs.

Interesting screed. I agree with some of it.
Okay - the issue of automatic weapons versus semi-automatic. I don't know if I'm one of the people you refer to as 'you guys,' but THIS GUY does know the difference between automatic and semi-automatic -- it's a cheap kit that you can buy online to make your semi-automatic weapon act like a fully automatic weapon.

In the 2017 massacre in Las Vegas, the crazy man who shot innocent people at a music concert from a hotel room window used a $20 bumpstock to kill 67 (I think) people. THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AUTOMATIC AND SEMI-AUTOMATIC.

As for the difference between Assault rifles and other weapons: Assault rifles are built for one purpose -- to kill people. They are not designed for hunting. They're not designed for shooting anything but a human target. They're not for 'sports' - you wouldn't use them to shoot skeet, for example. They are big and fairly heavy, so you wouldn't use them to shoot a burglar or for other protection. THESE GUNS HAVE ONE PURPOSE--A PURPOSE THAT ISN'T REQUIRED FOR ANYONE NOT FIGHTING IN A WAR.

And, no, not all guns are designed for killing. As mentioned, some are for sport, some (like unused assault rifles) are penis extenders for people who can't afford a fancy car.

You asked about Massacre Mitch. You asked who he killed. You don't have to pull the trigger to be a murderer. The manufacturers of assault weapons and of the kits that convert these nasty firearms into even nastier devices didn't pull the trigger. But Mushmouth Turtleface (my name for him) blocked consideration of a nominee to the Supreme Court in 2015 - which would have put a more moderate thinker onto the court than what 45 has nominated. Mushmouth Turtleface has consistently prevented legislation that would put controls on gun ownership and certain other gun control measures from even being considered by the U.S. Senate. If these measures had passed, putting controls on gun sales - perhaps these last three massacres (done by people under 25 years of age) may not have been able to BUY these guns, the 200 round magazines, and perhaps even the ammunition that was used for these killings.

If you STOP legislation that may have prevented these, and other, massacres, AREN'T YOU COMPLICIT?

Personally, as far as I'm concerned, I'd like to see everyone disarmed - except that they can use weapons like the ones that were around when the Second Amendment was passed. We shouldn't be a country with more firearms than people.

It may be hard to remove the guns from the bad guys who don't turn them in. How about preventing the sale of ammunition for assault weapons? Or prohibiting the sale of magazines that hold more than ten bullets? The gunman in Dayton Ohio had two magazines capable of holding 100 bullets each. If he hadn't been killed within 30 seconds of starting his attack, who knows how many dozens - perhaps hundreds - of victims there would be?

U.S. Intelligence knew that Russia was meddling with our elections. He, and other leaders of Congress were briefed on this before the 2016 elections. They were asked to choose whether or not the Nation should be informed. It doesn't take a genius to guess which path Mushmouth Turtleface chose. Informing the public may have yielded a different result in the 2016 elections but, again, Mushmouth Turtleface (AKA Moscow Mitch) didn't want that.

How do you suggest that we get rid of the 'Bad Guys?' In America's justice system, you can't just round them up. Hell, you will probably never be able to define what a 'Bad Guy' is. It wouldn't necessarily be based on history many of these madmen were young, but probably didn't have a criminal record, or a past that suggested they were capable of this level of violence.

When I said 'you guys', I was referring to anyone reading the post, not anyone in particular. Guns were designed to kill, whether it be people or animals... well maybe not all all of them, even the 'unused' 'assault' rifle. It's original purpose, when it was 'used' was the same. All the 'guns' around the time your constitution was written were designed to kill. This is what guns do.

Getting 'rid' of the bad guys means putting them in jail. You talk about America's justice system... that's kind of what I meant.

You refer to a more 'moderate' thinker into the court. So Mushmouth Turtleface is responsible for the massacres, not allowing moderate thinkers in the court and preventing Clinton from winning the elections. And you construed all this whilst bringing up the recent tragedies.

Russians didn't 'meddle' in the elections, they just took an interest. On the one hand malign forces from Russia somehow brainwashed people into voting for the wrong person, on the other the mass media was pleading with reasonable people to vote for Hillary. The Russian brainwashing along with the aliens turned people into zombies, who didn't know what they were doing. It wasn't the voters who elected Trump, it was Putin. So... the electoral system obviously doesn't work in your country. I say progressive Americans reform the Constitution so that the correct candidate, as defined by the enlightened people, win every time. I'll be donating to the Clinton Foundation.

Hey, Agian. Haven't you heart of 'sport' rifles? How about Skeet shooting? Use of these rifles was not mean to kill -- just for shooting at a moving target or for target practice.

The weapons that were available at the time the Second Amendment was ratified have little relation to today's assault rifles. Flintlocks, and other rifles could, perhaps, fire one shot a minute. First, a cloth with gunpowder had to be forced down the barrel of the rifle, then a steel ball was pushed down, THEN the rifle would often shoot a single bullet. Compare this to today's modified semi-automatic weapons that can fire hundreds of shots a second. There's virtually no comparison, with the exception that the thing had a long barrel that the shooter looked down to aim at a target (of course, today's semi-automatics have much better methods for aiming, including riflescopes and laser aiming devices), but they can shoot something at a target.

Until Colt invented the revolver, enabling the person using the gun to fire six shots without reloading, single shot weapons were all that was available.

As far as somehow identifying and imprisoning the 'Bad Guys' how can this be legally done, if they haven't committed a crime? This thought just won't work.

Mushmouth Turtleface is complicit in the massacres because he blocked legislation that may have kept the weapons out of the hands of those that committed the massacres. There used to be a ban on assault weapons, and during those years, I don't think there were any massacres at the scale or frequency that we see today. If the weapons ban had continued, or if Mushmouth Turtleface hadn't block Senate consideration of gun control bills that may have kept these guns out of the hands of these murderers, the massacres may not have happened. MT may not have fired the gones, but he enabled the murderers to GET THEM.

Russians meddled. It was more than taking interest. They weren't just sitting back, monitoring the campaigns - they were actively involved in manipulating the election. They even tried to infiltrate some of the election systems in some states.

Is what you call the Russian 'brainwashing' of some people NOT meddling?

The Electoral System in our country hasn't worked for many years. The winner of the popular vote was Hillary Clinton. 45 won by visiting some states that Clinton DIDN'T. In the three States that won Electoral votes that pushed 45 over (and won the election) the margin of victory in ALL THREE STATES was about 80,000 votes.

More later, maybe...

People. This is the valvereplacement.org site. The emphasis being on Valve Replacement. This is not the forum to discuss politics. Lord knows we are bombarded with this topic 24/7 on every other medium. Don't turn this site into another he said she said forum. Also this is an international forum.

Yes, international. Agian (Australia) and I (United States) have been discussing this stuff for a while. I was about to suggest that we move the political stuff (some of which relates to mass killings (that may include people with prosthetic valves, for all we know) to the cost of health care. These are relevant.

However, I'm all in favor of a new forum where we can discuss political issues.

Point taken. Yes, there are sports rifles, target pistols and the like. I should have known better, I own a couple lol. We don't use the term 'assault rifles' here.

When I used the term 'brainwashing' I was being sarcastic. I doubt Putin had more influence on the elections than your media outlets. They're frothing at the mouth. It's pathetic really.

Anyways, politics is a minor distraction on this forum (often unpleasant). My whole point was the double standards, not your political system. The thing took on a life of its own. Thank you for not being hostile.

I don't think there's a need for a pro Hillary thread. I hope you're not suggesting an alternative politicised valve forum, because that would be really sad.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back