Staying the Course -- 07/22/2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
So Tuesday is the new Monday. Or not. It's just that it takes me a while to start a new Courser week.

To those who might be looking in, this forum started many years ago as a lively weight-loss competition. We had fun with that, but it eventually got old, so we decided to keep it going as just a place to talk about our joys and challenges of living -- reaching the right weight for ourselves, but much more, recreation, the fitness quest, family, weather, basically whatever's going on. As heart-surgery survivors or folks facing that challenge or their caregivers, we constitute a genuine community. So the thought is that it is helpful to have this little corner for talking about how our lives are going.

So we welcome any and all who might like to drop in and share their thoughts and experiences.

Not much new for my part at the moment. Biggest news is the cold (!) front headed this way that should break our spell of high heat and humidity -- heat index 110(F)-plus -- and give us maybe 3 days of fall-like weather in July. This is a gift. But first we must weather expected severe storms tonight as the cold air collides with the hot air. Boom!

Life goes on -- stay the course!

Cheers,
Superbob

🦸‍♂️

It's about 100+ here in Southern California. Humid (but not East Coast humid), but we had some rain here this morning.

It sure would be nice if we can afford air conditioning.

But, of course, the Administration denies that there's Global Warming. (These fat cats can sit in their air conditioned offices, staying comfortable, while the planet turns to ****? It doesn't matter to them -- by the time it turns even more critical, they'll be dead. Who gives a damn about the future, if you're not going to suffer from the misdeeds of previous generations (especially your own, when you know about the problem and do nothing to reduce its effects)?

After laying around a bit taking it easy from cataract and other minor surgery and being less diligent with dietary choices I think I may have added a little weight back on. Back onto the exercise bike today and easing back into some light weight training. Looking forward to a few days break at the coast next week.

Onward and upward.

We’re enjoying a break in the heat and humidity in southeast Missouri, thank goodness! Yesterday one of the several floodgates that protects our town from the mighty Mississippi’s flooding was opened after being up since mid-March. It’s nice to view the river without a flood wall obstructing the view! I’m back to riding the exercise bike and using the exercise bands so I am pleased with myself. Maybe no one else is, but what the heck. Everyone have a good week!

@Superbob , how is the repair/renovation to your son’s office proceeding?
Thanks for asking, Duffey. I think not at all yet. Summer tournament season is roaring along (most hectic time of the year) and he's just running things on the fly -- no desk. One more week of tournaments; they have a MLB ambassador start each week and give an inspirational talk to the kids, and I believe the coming one is Ozzie Smith.

Thanks for asking, Duffey. I think not at all yet. Summer tournament season is roaring along (most hectic time of the year) and he's just running things on the fly -- no desk. One more week of tournaments; they have a MLB ambassador start each week and give an inspirational talk to the kids, and I believe the coming one is Ozzie Smith.
Doesn’t get much better than Ozzie!

Exetremely hot for the past three days here in the UK. Temperatures yesterday broke records for any previous July in many places - just over 37C Also extremely humid which doesn't help how hot it feels, thunderstorms haven't reduced the humidity yet. The extreme weather is due to a "plume" from Africa coming north - northern Europe was hotter than southern Europe (Paris hottest ever at 42C).

We're not equipped in the UK for such hot weather - our houses are not built to withstand heat as they are in southern Europe, and hardly anyone has air con, not even some hospitals apart from the newer ones. Railway lines are having problems as the track buckles in hot weather so they have to run the trains more slowly, loads cancelled and people advised not to travel on them, people working from home if they can. Still no fun indoors, in our house it must have been 30C indoors at 11pm ! No fun outdoors either.

We're now in a warm and dry pattern here in the NY area. The garden requires daily watering, but we're rewarded with blossoming specimens such as this St. John's Wort. The struggle to maintain or lose a little weight continues. So far I've managed to stay in range but summertime food delights present a difficult challenge. Overseas travel is on the horizon for late August.
P1220122.JPG

We're now in a warm and dry pattern here in the NY area. The garden requires daily watering, but we're rewarded with blossoming specimens such as this St. John's Wort. The struggle to maintain or lose a little weight continues. So far I've managed to stay in range but summertime food delights present a difficult challenge. Overseas travel is on the horizon for late August. View attachment 887167
Beautiful!

The glaciers are melting. This should provide plenty of water for gardens that now need daily watering.
You won't be able to go to the beach, because the rising water levels will cover the beaches - to say nothing for flooding beachfront property.

Places all over are experiencing record heat. Winters are brutal. Hurricanes occur more frequently, and fires in California (and, no doubt, many other places) are more frequent and more devastating than they ever have been.

But there are still climate change deniers. In the United States, they're rolling back legislation and regulations designed to reverse the effects of climate change. The United States has withdrawn from the Paris Accord.

This is environmental Chinese Water Torture - and those who can try to set things that may help reduce the speed of the drips don't care (or they like the money that they get from the Oil and Gas (and other) lobbies than they like the possibility of helping the planet).

A trip to Europe sounds good -- bring summer clothes.

We're now in a warm and dry pattern here in the NY area. The garden requires daily watering, but we're rewarded with blossoming specimens such as this St. John's Wort. The struggle to maintain or lose a little weight continues. So far I've managed to stay in range but summertime food delights present a difficult challenge. Overseas travel is on the horizon for late August. View attachment 887167
Absolutely gorgeous, Jim! Looking forward to reading about your overseas travel.

Perfect summer weather in MN right now and spent the last week boating and swimming in one of the most crystal clear, cool spring-fed lakes in the US. I wish you could visit our "Land of 10,000 Lakes" for some lake time therapy, Protimenow and paleowoman! I hope your heat wave breaks soon.

Latest posts

Back