Staying the Course -- 07/09/2018

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Greetings Thought I would start the the new week thread early instead of my usual tardy, because the week's going to be hectic. My bloodwork last week showed some worrisome changes. Hemoglobin has dropped below the anemia threshold, and some other numbers are out of whack. About six years ago, I had a similar drop and had to be monitored regularly at a cancer center til I did some 'Net research and discovered that long-term use of Lisinopril could put a hit on hemoglobin. We stopped it and sure enough. hemoglobin recovered. Since then, I've been on Losartan, and I am hoping we will do another med switcheroo and the numbers can recover. But might not work again. Could be a B-12 deficiency or iron deficiency -- or things much worse. The cancer doctor before had been poised to stick a long needle in pelvic area and extract bone marrow for testing. Hope can dodge that again, but I am worried.

When I told my GP about my trends and previous experience, she said she would order additional tests. Guess I will find out what at my appointment on Wednesday. I am uneasy -- well, okay, I am stressing out. Not sure if I should keep stepping up the exercise, or step back some.....anyway....

Hope all of you have a good week. jwinter in particular -- hope all has gone well for you with the procedure you were expecting to have.

Cheers all,

Superbob

Sorry to hear of your worrisome test results. I have no experience in that area and cannot offer an opinion or personal words of comfort, but monitoring appears to be a sound approach. Please keep us posted as the situation progresses. I don't see a clear connection with exercise and low hemoglobin, but again, I am ignorant on the subject. Praying is is related to your medication and not "something worse". Hang in there~

Hi guys! Good to see you post. I am kind of like HB on offering much help as I do not know those drugs. Good thing to stay with the professionals and get ironed out. I had a bone marrow biopsy in doctor's office not long ago but mine was done through the back and down into the hip bone. I will not make light of it because it was a bit nerve racking. I did have a hematologist do it so that helped my confidence. It was not bad SB. They deaden area first and then slowly go down and add more drugs as they go. Took a long time and felt kind of like he was pressing down really hard (nothing sharp feeling or painful) He was behind me and spoke to me all the way, telling me where he was, how much longer, and when the pressure was being put on. His nurse sat up by my head and we visited a bit and then when I told her I was nervous she did some breathing with me, long deep breath in through nose and slowly let out. All I can add is if asked to do it again I definitely would. Bone marrow is sometimes necessary and I rest easy knowing the big "C" was not to be found.

My saga continues and I just about have enough to write a book soon, lol Surgery canceled twice now and tests sent to Mayo, awaiting results. I may have HIT which acts kind of like an allergy to heparin. I pray it is not as I cannot self inject to bridge for procedures if it is. More on that when I get results. My "spirits" have been all over the place and at this time are up. The last two days are best I have had in a long while. Feeling good and waiting for the numbers to catch up. That big ole stone in kidney is on hold.

Hope and pray for good days ahead for all here. I shall return.

Sorry to hear/read about the challenges this week. Uncertainty is the worst. Whether it’s pending tests results or finally getting that surgery scheduled. Wishing everyone the answers they are seeking and positive outcomes.

jwinter and SB - wishing you the best. Life can be so challenging.

My shoulders giving me gyp again, I suspect it's due to the tear on the tendons. DS also not right. But our horrible heatwave in England has broken today. So much relief. I know compared to some parts of America it is nothing, but we're not up to it, even our roads melted in some places !

I started the week with a downer, so I'm glad now to report good news. Doc did a complete bloodwork, and found my hemoglobin etc has not dropped into anemia territory, and I have no deficit of B-12 or iron, and so no sign of anything degenerative at work. I don't know if the initial bloodwork was a glitch or what, but I am grateful for serious second looks at medical stuff. I was a happy camper in core fitness class today. Felt like I could plank all day. : )

So anyway, some better news. And after two delightfully low-humidity days, we're back into stifling heat and humidity BUT at this very moment we're getting a little thundery cloudburst that is bringing at least temporary relief.

Best to all who are dealing with their challenges....stay the course!

Wow! Reading the proceedings here almost makes me happy that I have been off the web for a couple of days this week. It sounds like a few of us have had some troubling issues. SB - I hope that yours stay in the "good" range. One does not want to dwell on what it "could" mean if things go sideways.

I know what those test results can do to the patient's mind. I have a long-time friend (think of a grammar school buddy, and we're in our 70's now) who has been dealing with lymphoma. He did the chemo and all sorts of other things about a year ago. We thought all was well. . . until. At his last check-up the docs found a small lesion elsewhere, so now it is back to the "watch and wait" bit for another few months. If no progress, it is an artifact. If it grows. . . back to treatment again. That has to be a whole mind full of thoughts to sort out.

On my own part, things are sliding along pretty well. I know I mentioned that I was the interview subject for a TV program on prostate cancer, and I know HB asked if I would be able to get a copy of the video to show. . . BUT I don't know if I responded to her. At the risk of duplicating my response, I'll repeat it. The show's producer politely told me that they are not allowed to give copies of the show to anyone, even participants. What they WILL do, though, is as soon as the show has aired, they will post it onto their YouTube site and then send me a link to the program. They say they keep these online "forever" so I can share the link for all to see. Of course, I want to see it first. If I come across as a doddering old fool, then nobody will see it!

I'm still searching for some routine to my life of the newly retired. I've been doing all sorts of meaningless things - some with my wife, some alone. I sometimes do a water aerobics class at the local senior center. I'm not a swimmer, but the low-impact movement has seemed to help my general flexibility and relieved some muscle aches, so I'll possibly continue this. I am also learning to play Bocce Ball. I always thought of this game as an esoteric game for old Italian men, but (again at the senior center) this group just plays for fun. At least it is an outdoor activity that my wife will join me in.

Other than that, nothing big going on right now. Since the weather is generally nice at this time of year, there isn't much need to flee the Upper Rust Belt, so we are home for the summer. We'll see about some travel later in the year.

I hope everyone can stay cool and healthy this year. That makes it all more enjoyable!

And of course, I'll be Stayin' the Course.

SB, very glad to hear your good news! jwinter, as always, best wishes for good outcomes. Superman, you are so right; uncertainty is the worst, for me at any rate. Anne, glad your heat wave broke but sorry to hear your son is having issues. My daughter has her hands full with my special needs grandson. You and she are very special parents. Steve, I am a Google detective. If the interview is posted I will find it LOL!

honeybunny;n884109 said:
SB, very glad to hear your good news! jwinter, as always, best wishes for good outcomes. Superman, you are so right; uncertainty is the worst, for me at any rate. Anne, glad your heat wave broke but sorry to hear your son is having issues. My daughter has her hands full with my special needs grandson. You and she are very special parents. Steve, I am a Google detective. If the interview is posted I will find it LOL!

Honeybunny, great summary of our folks' various challenges. I second what you said. Thought I would just mention one more outcome of my complete blood workup and doctors visit last week. Last night on Patient Portal, I found yet another new report -- evidently my doc's lab had sample of my blood sent out of state for analysis (I didn't know that was being done), so I had results for a Reticulocytes Count. Ever heard of that? I hadn't, so I looked at some reputable websites. Reticulocytes are immature red blood cells. The test counts these to determine if the marrow in your bones is producing enough of these babies to keep you movin' and groovin'. Haven't discussed this yet with my doc, but the results online look like I am in the normal range. (Silent hooray from me!) Will see what my doc says via PP -- I love this online communication with doc! Another recommendation out of my visit was to phase out the omeprazole I've been taking for occasional stomach distress. This med, long-term, can do a number on magnesium levels and possibly red blood cell production, I gather. So on her advice, I am trying to phase it out. Last night Rolaids was an over-the-counter oh-what-a-relief-it-is for stomach sourness.

So no end to old-age challenges, but we...

STAY THE COURSE!

Cheers all....

Latest posts

Back