Staying the Course -- 07/01/2018

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Well, welcome to July, and for those of us in the USA -- or other good friends who want to celebrate with us -- Happy Fourth of July. Another celebration of our country's Declaration of Independence. Picnics, baseball, fireworks -- and hopefully some reflection on our shared ideals.

On the fitness front, they were replacing the floor of our exercise room today, so we seniors got to work out in what they call "the dog pound" (I prefer the "dawg pound")...that's where the young, super-fit lads and lassies go to do sometimes extreme workouts -- and it's behind a tall fenced area that resembles a prison yard or venue for a WWF cage match. So our instructor laid our circuit training for us oldsters in there -- 3 times around. It was taxing, especially since fans are few and far between in the dawg pound. Guess we golden oldies needed to put on a good show since we were in the "pound." Whew -- quite a workout. At least I didn't hear anyone laughing at us!

I may go to our trainer's sessions the day before The Fourth (that's tomorrow) and the day after the 4th too -- I know, maybe I am becoming a fanatic? My body will tell me when to cut back. I am going to need lots of exercise of offset the traditional pigging-out on the 4th -- hot dogs, potato chips, Superbob's kryptonite.

Sure hope this is a lot better week for all than last week was. Look forward to as many check-ins as we can get this (USA) holiday week.

Cheers,

Superbob

Happy 4th July when it's here SB and all of you in the US !

We're still having our heatwave here in the UK. I know it's not as hot as you get it in the US, but it's too hot for us here, our houses (and hospitals) aren't designed for the heat. There's a fire raging for days on moorland in the midlands, really very out of the ordinary.

Thanks, Anne! Temps have gone down a little in my part of the world. But my exercising is indoors so that's not an issue for me.

My dance instructor added a third class to her schedule: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays. I've been attending on Thursdays only because of my work schedule and 4:30 a.m. wake-up call. But I decided last week, and cleared it with the instructor, that I would go the other two days for an hour only (it's a 90-minute class). That gets me home around 7:45 which is the time I'm usually getting ready to head to bed (where I read for however long it takes me to fall asleep). I went last night and had no problems falling asleep.

I also got a new Fitbit. I lost the one my daughter bought me a few years back. I'd been thinking lately of replacing it. So when I saw one for sale on the Nextdoor website I made an offer of $50 and it was accepted. I'm a happy camper :)

Happy 4th Americans!

Good Evening all. SB it sounds like your workouts will take care of the extra calories. If anyone says fanatic and I could say mine was that exercise line up.....well what a way to be a fanatic!! Good job!

Anne, heatwaves can be rough. Hope you can snag a few nice days to enjoy. Raging fires are bad wherever they are. Hope you are no where close.

HB, well look at you! Adding another dance class. Oh and that Fitbit was a steal. Been shopping them but no need yet. OH, and thank you very much for the pm. I found some good info and passed it on to my daughter and was successful getting some help for her children. This crew of coursers are the BEST!

I was to have a kidney stone removal today but wasn't to be. Friday is to be my day now. I just keep trudging the halls here and hope for the best after surgery as they think the bed where stone has been laying could be my source of infection. Two more blood transfusions, colonoscopy, endoscopy, and still bridging with Lovonox. Bridging sounds a little like exercise, right? lol

Enjoy the 4th for those that celebrate. SB's words about reflection is always good. Holding my big potato salad and scotcheroos for next weekend!

Dang -- I almost started a new week just now. It's disorienting when the Fourth of July lands mid-week (of course it must be celebrated on the Fourth, obviously, because of the historical significance, not moved to a Monday); just saying it's going to take some time to completely grasp what day of the week it is right now. So anyway, happy Thursday (or is it Monday? -- I almost put the garbage bin out for Monday collection this morning).

jwinter -- wish you the very best for that kidney stone removal if it's still scheduled tomorrow! And best wishes for recovery ... and yes "bridging" sounds like a new exercise fad, but I have my hands full (literally) with planking!

Well, happy new start or a new week, everyone. Hope those celebrating the Fourth had fun and stayed safe. And for members of our merry crew who are citizens of the United Kingdom, nothing personal. folks; we didn't much care for George III but we still loveya -- just needed our pwn space. : )

Cheers,

Superbob

I hope all in the States enjoyed their holiday with family and friends, or even on their own. Haven't updated STC in a while. Just busy.

Still staying the course though. Weight seems to be where it's going to be. I have added a class to my activities. In addition to my spin classes, I've started this, "Body Pump" class a couple times a week. I don't recall if I mentioned it in prior weeks. 1/2 hour to 1 hour depending on the day. It's a total body workout with light weights, very high reps, and very little break. Really, perfect for us heart patients. It's not too isometric. I don't think I have any more than 50 lbs on the bar at any one time. So with no more than 50 lbs, we do a ton of squats and deadlifts. I adjust weight from there when we hit back, shoulders, bench press, lunges, biceps, triceps, etc. I don't know if I'm making any visible changes, but I know I was awful sore recovering from the first time I did it. That's getting a lot easier. I've got to find the motivation to do some core work like Superbob though. I feel like I have terrible core strength, and don't have the will to push for it. I'm just sticking with what I do well for now.

Our holiday was great. Spend the morning at the gym with my lovely wife. Went to the township parade and festivities after that with the family. Took an afternoon nap. Hosted the in-laws for dinner with all the usual summer fair (leftovers today! Woo-Hoo!). Then went to the fireworks. Great day overall. Going to blow some stuff up in the backyard today. Just the little kid friendly stuff.

Happy courses, everyone!

Don't make us do it again, Agian - I mean King George!

You guys are a real hoot! Nukes vs. muskets? Only in America!

I'm sorry I've been so "absent" but I've been really busy all of a sudden.

HB - You asked last week if I would be able to post a copy of the prostate cancer public awareness segment I appeared in a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, they will not release copies of the program to the participants. . . BUT they will send me a link to their YouTube site where the segment will be posted "forever." Once I have that, I can freely share it, and will.

Between the social/fun activities my wife gets us into, my fitness efforts and other necessary tasks, I've been really busy. I've been coerced into playing bocce ball with my wife and the gang at the local senior center. I have also participated in their water aerobics class, after which I asked the instructor "When does the real class start? This had to be the warm-up!" He only laughed. It was fun to play in the cool water of the pool while it was 93F outside, but not much of a workout.

My fitness center is undergoing a refit, and has been closed for going on two weeks. The center used to be part of one chain, but was recently acquired by another. It is being totally re-done in the formula of the new owners. They do allow us to use another nearby center while the construction is underway, but I've been at work this week and neither of these centers is close. I've been able to walk some miles, though, to try to absorb the calories even if I do not accomplish any real fitness improvements.

I have noticed some improvement over the weeks that I could get to the new center. I've improved muscle tone and definition by adding a few of the weight machines to my cardio workout. I usually lift light to medium weights (40-50 lbs for smaller muscles, 70 or so for large muscles) and have been doing 4 or 5 sets of 10 reps each. I don't know if anyone can see the difference, but I can feel it. I've also kept up with my elliptical time, and added a cool-down of one mile on a treadmill at the end of it all. This all takes me about one hour daily, 5 days a week.

With all this activity, I am now within about 2 pounds of my target. Time will tell if I really attain my goal, or if close enough will have to be good enough.

Other than that, next week I am back to being retired. I have a couple of activities planned with DW, as well as lunch with one of my high school buddies. I am still waiting for a chance to re-experience what boredom feels like.

Agian;n883959 said:
Next time I will be victorious. Your nukes are no match for our muskets and ****.

We won't fire the nukes until we see the whites of your eyes!

er... okay - might have to have a strategy meeting.

Superman;n883968 said:
We won't fire the nukes until we see the whites of your eyes!

er... okay - might have to have a strategy meeting.
Our cannons will destroy your arsenal of nukes.
We will torch your food supplies, so you are left without McDonalds.
We will arrest Homer Simpson and other colonial intellectuals.
You will see our bayonets, not our eyes.

Agian;n883969 said:
Our cannons will destroy your arsenal of nukes.
We will torch your food supplies, so you are left without McDonalds.
We will arrest Homer Simpson and other colonial intellectuals.
You will see our bayonets, not our eyes.

We must protect the Royal Kardashian family. Or something.

Latest posts

Back