Staying the Course -- 06/24/2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
A tad tardy getting the week started. Was going to walk my Junkyard Dawg this evening but there is not even a hint of a breeze blowing and the heat index is still over 90F. Have my heart cath at 630 in morning and so thought I should make rest a priority. The dawg is not understanding.

In weeks leading up to the cath, have felt a kind of discomfort in my heart area -- or is it that I was just aware of my heart, and thinking about what's to come? Didn't feel remotely like a heart attack so I think it is psychological. I will keep monitoring, though, and if need be, will seek to move up that September surgery date.

After the cath, I next have another shot at completing a pulmonary function test, though this time with instructions for just the spirometry part, not the boxed-in rigamarole. I have watched spirometry tests on YouTube and even practiced, so think I can handle that (though have no idea how my score will stack up.)

Well this is not an exciting opener, but it is my life right now. Look forward to hearing 'bout what y'all have going.

Cheers,
Superbob 🦸‍♂️

Duffey, all I know is my own experience, and wrist was far, far better. Only had to wait around 5 hours to go home, instead of 10, back in 2005. Had no extra bleeding at hospital, or back home, and having removed the bandage (as instructed) today, still no bleeding. Just a tiny pinprick where the insertion was. I know the thought of wrist is kinda creepy (but so is the groin or neck, actually). Anyway, my experience on this was excellent. Will let you know about the PFT next Tuesday.

Another encouraging piece of news: I found out that the beautiful hospital rehab facility that my wife was in after her terrible fall last December also takes cardiac patients. Only opened last Spring, and it is state of the art.) My surgeon up in Chapel Hill told me that after 5-7 days in hospital, he might want to send me to a nursing/rehab facility. Certainly would be better for me and family and all around to do it at a rehab center where I know their equipment and PTs and nurses (cause I went with wife to most of her PT sessions) -- AND that is only a few miles from our home, as opposed to 250 miles. My source even told me insurance might cover my transportation down from Chapel Hill -- I kinda doubt that, but I could even rent a comfortable van for one day for not too many $$$ I would think. Sure would be easier on family. I could have the family support during the in-patient rehab...
This all would be preliminary to out-patient cardiac rehab a few months down the road, and I really enjoyed that back in 2005.

Cheers all....

Last edited:
Duffey, all I know is my own experience, and wrist was far, far better. Only had to wait around 5 hours to go home, instead of 10, back in 2005. Had no extra bleeding at hospital, or back home, and having removed the bandage (as instructed) today, still no bleeding. Just a tiny pinprick where the insertion was. I know the thought of wrist is kinda creepy (but so is the groin or neck, actually). Anyway, my experience on this was excellent. Will let you know about the PFT next Tuesday.

Another encouraging piece of news: I found out that the beautiful hospital rehab facility that my wife was in after her terrible fall last December also takes cardiac patients. Only opened last Spring, and it is state of the art.) My surgeon up in Chapel Hill told me that after 5-7 days in hospital, he might want to send me to a nursing/rehab facility. Certainly would be better for me and family and all around to do it at a rehab center where I know their equipment and PTs and nurses (cause I went with wife to most of her PT sessions) -- AND that is only a few miles from our home, as opposed to 250 miles. My source even told me insurance might cover my transportation down from Chapel Hill -- I kinda doubt that, but I could even rent a comfortable van for one day for not too many $$$ I would think. Sure would be easier on family. I could have the family support during the in-patient rehab...
This all would be preliminary to out-patient cardiac rehab a few months down the road, and I really enjoyed that back in 2005.

Cheers all....
It sounds positive, SB. It seems like it is all coming together.

Good to hear your Cath went well SB - and that your arteries are clear :)

That would be brilliant if you were able to go to the rehab facilty close to home so soon post surgery !

Agree. Good news.

When I was 4, I had a heart cath about an inch above the crook of my elbow. I have a scar an inch wide from it. Butchers back in the ‘70’s. 🤕

Seeing the reactions, I should clarify that it is horizontally positioned (width of my arm, not along the length), so by wide I think I mean an inch long. It’s just a thin white line. Still, not the tiny little hole they poke these days. I had five stitches to close it that I had to go back in and have removed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back