Staying the Course -- 06/18/2018

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Wait, what? It's Monday? I almost missed another one. In any event, welcome all who are hanging in their with their courses to be stayed.
"
I've been bragging about planking, but today we really planked. "Teach" put us on floor mats, and challenged us to do planks right from the floor -- no chair or bar props. Of course, she counseled those not ready for this challenge to do as they usually do. So anyway I took the challenge, and managed to do the series of eight. You can do them off ypur forearms, or you can do them in full pushup position, which is the one I prefer. So we'll see how it goes. After all my talk the past 18 months, I'm actually doing them correctly.'

Meanwhile, it is hot, hot hot, approaching 110F heat index rest of week. Dawgwalking -- going to have t be nighttime, though it's still humid then.

More later.

Cheers all,

Superbob

Hi, SB! Sure is busy here, this time of year (not?). I've been so busy being retired that I haven't had a chance to come back and see what I've been missing.

I've been able to maintain my increased workout schedule - up to about 60 minutes/day, 5 days a week. This includes time on an elliptical machine, half a dozen weight machines (not ready for free weights at this time), and a treadmill. Most of the machine weights I'm doing now, I've managed to increase to the 65-80 lb. range without any problems, doing 4 sets of 10 reps on each. I can feel (and see) the difference. I've backed down on planking, though, and instead added a machine that focuses on upper abdominal muscles (think crunches with weights), as this is where I need some additional toning. I am not overweight, but I sort of look as if I am.

I guess it is working for me, though, as I just saw my PCP yesterday for my semi-annual follow-up. His comment was "For a man of your age and medical history, you are in remarkably good health." I'll take it!

On another note, later this week I will be taping (bet they don't use videotape any more, though) an interview and discussion on prostate cancer for my local hospital. It will air some time in the fall, as a public service announcement, on a local TV channel. My radiation oncologist and the hospital were looking for an interview subject who had been through the diagnosis, treatment choices/evaluation, treatment itself and was a talkative subject to tell about it. I guess that means that I'm a chatterbox, but seeing me on video won't scare away the new folks. . . I think all my training on this board has prepared me for discussing medical issues frankly and objectively in layman's terms.

We've been doing a lot of family entertaining the last couple of weeks. We "repaid" a couple of dinner invitations, had a house full of family (all adults, thankfully) and got to enjoy the summer. Now it is back to planning next year's travels.

Hope everyone here is doing well. . . but from all the responses over the last two days, I can't tell.

Hi Bob and Steve!

epstns, will you be able to share that video post-production? I'd like to see it, as I'm sure others would.

I attended a lunch and learn at work yesterday sponsored by the young owner of a local fitness center. I was impressed with his presentation skills but moreso with his approach to fitness. He discussed in detail the importance of assessing a person's physical condition before setting up a program. He said, for example, he won't tell someone to do a series of lunges until he's looked at their body alignment to make sure lunges will be beneficial for them. If a hip is "off", he will give them other exercises to do until things are back in place and the lunges can be done correctly. He made me feel like it's OK to be a fat slob and still begin a program.

The company is going to offer the trainer's services for 12 weeks beginning next month. He will have 30-minute appointments from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. in the company gym (installed last year but I don't use it). I'm going to do this! My hours are 6-4:30 so I can make a 5:00 appointment and still get home at a reasonable hour. A co-worker said she would do it with me.

Before that I am going to have him do a Facet System Assessment , cost $85, to determine what exercises are good for me. I'm pretty excited about it. He just has a good vibe. I won't be able to do a program with him after the 12 weeks because his two studio locations are too far for me to travel to. But if I can do 12 weeks (once a week) I'll be in better shape than I am now. And I will do my line-dancing on Thursdays.

Yeah!

honeybunny;n883730 said:
Hi Bob and Steve!

epstns, will you be able to share that video post-production? I'd like to see it, as I'm sure others would.

I attended a lunch and learn at work yesterday sponsored by the young owner of a local fitness center. I was impressed with his presentation skills but moreso with his approach to fitness. He discussed in detail the importance of assessing a person's physical condition before setting up a program. He said, for example, he won't tell someone to do a series of lunges until he's looked at their body alignment to make sure lunges will be beneficial for them. If a hip is "off", he will give them other exercises to do until things are back in place and the lunges can be done correctly. He made me feel like it's OK to be a fat slob and still begin a program.

The company is going to offer the trainer's services for 12 weeks beginning next month. He will have 30-minute appointments from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. in the company gym (installed last year but I don't use it). I'm going to do this! My hours are 6-4:30 so I can make a 5:00 appointment and still get home at a reasonable hour. A co-worker said she would do it with me.

Before that I am going to have him do a Facet System Assessment , cost $85, to determine what exercises are good for me. I'm pretty excited about it. He just has a good vibe. I won't be able to do a program with him after the 12 weeks because his two studio locations are too far for me to travel to. But if I can do 12 weeks (once a week) I'll be in better shape than I am now. And I will do my line-dancing on Thursdays.

Yeah!

Wow, tried to correct one tiny type and my message vaporized. Oh well, just wanted to say: HB that indeed sounds like an exciting opportunity --and a great approach by the fitness guy. Do keep us posted about how it goes. And Steve, definitely would like to see the video post-production if possible. I am a chatterbox myself about health challenges. I know there are people who prefer to keep quiet about it all, and that is their prerogative. But I think getting different experiences and perspectives out there about fitness and health is helpful. And of course that is an opportunity Hank has given us with this wonderful site.

Good initiative HB! I hope it goes well. Steve, good luck with your moment in the spotlight. Superbob, stay cool. I'm not sure I could ever deal with that kind of heat index and humidity. Though I guess you get acclimated, just like I think 10 degrees is a pretty nice day now.

I didn’t even notice this sneak in. Busy time of year. Summer camps starting for the kids. We’ve got soccer, diving, and crew going on. Really getting back into my own and then some. I’ve been doing two “Pump” classes a week in addition to my spin and walk/run. Holding steady on the lbs. Must be where I’m supposed to be. I do like putting in the work so I don’t really have to watch the diet.

110 heat index, SB? Don’t know if I could live in that climate. I have an issue with sweating. As in, I sweat more than anyone I’ve ever seen. Embarrassing at times when I can’t seem to shut the water works off. I don’t get sweaty palms or pits in normal weather, but throw in a bit of heat and humidity combined with any exertion, and I’m a fountain.

A little time with a trainer sounds kind of cool, HB. Never really looked into that. So far the group torture / motivation of a class seems to work for me, so I’ll do that until it doesn’t.

Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame, Steve! I had a chance to do a couple segments with the local news regarding a charitable event at work. Weird how you notice all your physical and verbal ticks watching the playback. Thinking, “I don’t do that, do I?” But I do.

Latest posts

Back