Staying the Course -- 06/17/2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Welcome all staying their courses. Days have been dragging on for me in the Waiting Room, as I'm sure many of you understand. But I'm not going to dwell on that this week. Hope to hear from all our merry Coursers this week -- what's going on, what's happening?

We have two blessed days of lower humidity, but now summer heat and humidity are building in, just in time for the summer solstice this Friday. We were in a drought during May so I am reluctantly watering a good bit now to keep lawn and cedars alive. I prefer that nature take care of that but hasn't worked out lately. Just hope it doesn't take a hurricane to get us caught up in moisture -- and much more. Some folks are still trying to recover from Hurricane Florence.

So what are your good talking points or news or whatever?

Cheers,

Superbob 🦸‍♂️

I’m glad that you started the thread when you did, Superbob, because I was just getting ready to post on last week’s. I received my exercise resistance bands and I’ve started using them. What a workout! I am happy to report that I learned about them here. Thanks Gordo! Hubby’s chemical stress test was negative for a blockage so the ablation has been rescheduled. We have two weeks of vacation beforehand so hopefully he’ll be stress free going into it. Wishing you all a good week.

I’m glad that you started the thread when you did, Superbob, because I was just getting ready to post on last week’s. I received my exercise resistance bands and I’ve started using them. What a workout! I am happy to report that I learned about them here. Thanks Gordo! Hubby’s chemical stress test was negative for a blockage so the ablation has been rescheduled. We have two weeks of vacation beforehand so hopefully he’ll be stress free going into it. Wishing you all a good week.
Glad you like the bands, they’re fantastic. They can challenge even experienced gym junkies. So light and portable too.

@Superbob glad to hear you’re coping ok.

Beautiful winter weather here which is generally mild compared to many places around the world. Here’s today’s forecast (C not F):

270092B0-C97B-44C5-B7EB-86C3B306C59F.jpeg

Enjoying my aerobic sessions of 30 minutes split between 5 x 5 minutes on exercise bike alternated with 50 bodyweight squats. I find exercise bikes very boring so the 5 mins bike alternated with 50 squats takes away the boredom and the squats act like a higher intensity interval.

Still training with high repetition dumbbell / bands workout twice a week for the resistance component.

Trying to master this exercise at the moment. Not having done it in the past maintaining balance is proving challenging. But it’s an incredible exercise in so many ways so I want to permanently include it in my workouts. Being very tall generally makes balancing more of a challenge but equally very rewarding. The Single Leg Romanian Deadlift pictured below:

D95EF637-D4BF-49DB-BF28-6139BD2B15DA.jpeg

Finally, managing to keep the diet quite healthy. I’ve lost over 2” off the waist in around 6 - 8 weeks.

Last edited:
How tall is very tall, Gordo? Agree with balance challenges. Seems like it should be easy, but it’s not.

Nice work losing the inches!

SB - I remember well the aneurysm waiting room. I didn’t like that one bit. You appear to be handling it far better than I did.

As for me, did a nice 21 mile bike ride on Father’s Day. That was fun. Family is really busy of late and I haven’t been getting to the gym like I want to. More sneaking out the door for the occasional run or ride when I can. Glad the weather is better.

Well, quick note, breaking news. My cardiac nurse (yes, i am assigned my very own nurse, how great is that?) and I worked out a schedule today and set a date of September 18 for my OHS to zap an aneurysm, shore up the aortic root, and install a new valve. Sounds far off, but it's really not. Gives me more time to get everything in order and makes it easier for key family members to be there and take care of my wife with her mobility challenges. Will do the cath as scheduled next week, and my wonderful nurse is putting in an order for a spirometry-only PFT for me -- no being crammed into a tiny airtight enclosure. So I'm good.

How tall is very tall, Gordo? Agree with balance challenges. Seems like it should be easy, but it’s not.
200 cm (6’ 7.25”). They measure me in metres (2 M) not centimetres:).

Surprised how quickly I’m adapting to the exercise. Initially use a PVC pipe / TRX clone to assist with balance the first few times. Talk about sore butt muscles, thought someone had stuck a knife in each side.

I used to do pull-ups before discovering the aneurysm. Also bloody hard when tall.

@Gordo60 ,

Goes to show, there’s always someone taller. I’m 6’ 4” even, and at my height I always find it a very odd perspective looking up at someone.

@Superbob ,

Must be kind of a relief to have a plan and in some ways to know what to expect. Still, sorry to see you back in queue. Thanks for the updates.

Well, quick note, breaking news. My cardiac nurse (yes, i am assigned my very own nurse, how great is that?) and I worked out a schedule today and set a date of September 18 for my OHS to zap an aneurysm, shore up the aortic root, and install a new valve. Sounds far off, but it's really not. Gives me more time to get everything in order and makes it easier for key family members to be there and take care of my wife with her mobility challenges. Will do the cath as scheduled next week, and my wonderful nurse is putting in an order for a spirometry-only PFT for me -- no being crammed into a tiny airtight enclosure. So I'm good.
Glad you got your date and have some time to get yourself prepared. We will be here rooting you on before and after! September 18th is a good day...my sister's birthday. :) I will be celebrating two occasions.

Latest posts

Back