Staying the Course -- 06-15-2016

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Hello, all. Hope the week is going well for everyone.

Can the humidity get above 100%? Okay, I know it can't, but it feels like we are going beyond normal humidity for this time of year. I am just back from walking Ellie dawg this morning and still sweating profusely. Yesterday, I tried a new walk route not realizing so much of it would be in the sun. Felt a bit nauseous, didn't get all-out sick though but it served as a warning. Evenings are still humid and lately we've settled for backyard playtime and relaxing instead of a second walk. I have a feeling that will be our usual routine -- at least on the hottest, most humid days of summer. I think we are doing well to get in one walk in these conditions.

We've discovered a new Mediterranean bistro -- it's a tiny mom-and-pop place -- and has only fans, not A-C if you can imagine that, but the food is ample, delicious and healthy. Had a greek salad, roasted chicken, variety of veggies and pita last evening.

Well, again, cheers to all.

Superbob

Well SB, you can keep your 100% humidity please. :) We have been having great weather here in western PA.

I have been following your Staying the Course for some time and feel bad that I haven't commented. Your quest to loose weight is one I share. Since my heaviest winter weight, I have lost 14 pounds and am working on loosing another 10. As I work harder to change my diet, get more regular exercise and shed the pounds, I appreciate just how hard it can be for some to do that. My devil is snacks, sugar and exercising with an uncooperative heart.

The new bistro you found sounds wonderful. Where I live it is very difficult to find a healthy place to eat. We also don't have easy access to grocery stores that cater to a more healthy diet. Eating healthy in America is not easy. Every time I visit our local grocery store, I get upset with the volume of food in aisle after aisle that is just plain not good for you. I hope you keep up your quest and posts. I just wanted to let you know, it does help others, even if some of us don't let you know it often.

Cheers,
FredW

Thanks, Fred -- great to hear from you. Seems you and I are in a similar place with weight. I have lost about 15 since first of year but need to keep truckin' and lose another 10. My biggest weakness is late-night snacking. Seemingly just can't go to sleep without having a midnight snack. I have tried to make better choices with that instead of just doing without. A piece of fruit and a cheese stick are better than a bag of chips and a slab of pie.

Today we've had midday and early evening gulley-washers (with lots of lightning) and they took down the humidity a bit. So went on a second dawgwalk this evening. By morning the stifling humidity is supposed to be back. Ugh! Oh well...autumn will come in due time.

Hi, guys!

It's heating up in Texas, too. There are days approaching when just walking from my car to a building will wear me out. Maybe I'll do better this summer with my new valve.

No weight loss but this week I'm noticing more of a spring in my step. Not sure why but I'll take it.

I bought a double lead to make it easier to walk my Golden mix and Poodle mix at the same time. Unfortunately, they didn't like it and wouldn't go anywhere! Just a matter of keeping it up, I suppose.

Thanks for the post SB. BTW, how's your DW?

Wet weather in England - at least in the London area. Rain most days but it certainly makes everything inthe garden grow like mad so I'm doing a lot of work in it !

Thanks HB, always tons of medical stuff with DW and me. My eyes are dilated so if typos please forgive me just once... I will be having eye surgery later this summer -- cataracts -- been putting it off too long. Might even be able to do without glasses afterwards -- WHAT? Would be glad just to drive my grandkids to sports practices and such safely after dark.

DW has an echo next and followup with cardio. The EKG done in office was abnormal according to patient portal but don't know exactly how yet. On another front, her hemoglobin has risen considerably after dropping sharply....iron supplements may have taken care of problem../doc still monitoring. She also needs new hearing aids -- my eye doc may have given us a good tip on where to get good ones for (fairly) reasonable price. When you think about how good old folks have it, keep in mind that Medicare doesn't cover hearings aids or dental....

Thanks, HB -- I got in a second dawgwalk of the day this evening even though the humidity was still way high. Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be 10 degrees cooler and a lot less humid -- now that's something to look forward to!

Just dropping by to say hello. Just had my nuclear stress test and echo, first in three years. All numbers and results perfect.

Now if I could lose a few pounds!!!! But that's what got this little group started anyway and I'm still trying but life is short. Peach, blubbery and blackberry cobbler always in Cooker's kitchen this time of year😃❤️

Great to hear, good heart reports for Cooker and Jim! Indeed, happy Dad's day to the dads. And Cooker I know well the cobbler problem -- we bought some of the biggest, sweetest blackberries I've ever seen at the farmers' market yesterday -- and DW plans to bake a pie. A cobbler would be more than fine, too!

I think I am back on track as far as my weight goes. I've lost 2 or 3 pounds of the "winter 5" so I'll call that success. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep it off, though, as I see some activity restriction in my future. I started a thread in Heart Talk regarding some problems I'm having with my pacemaker. It went "wonky" last week and stopped maintaining my low rate threshold. It is supposed to keep me at or above 60 bpm, but I was settling down to 45-48 bpm at rest. It turns out that one of my leads is failing. They turned up the juice so it is working at the present, but I have to see the EP doc on Thursday AM to discuss lead and possibly generator replacement. I'm fearing that the motion and exercise restriction for the new lead will keep me out of the gym for some weeks, so I'm apprehensive for the immediate future.

I only expect (unless they surprise me) to be away from the boards for a couple of days, but I may be housebound if they don't want me driving.

Back