Staying the Course -- 06/11/2018

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Hello, guys and gals. So here I am -- a bit tardy -- opening a new Staying the Course week. Let's see ... what bit of weirdness do I have for a week-starter?

Well, not much except this: When I started taking core fitness classes a year and a half ago, I was usually the only guy in the class. Today, at my new venue, a core fitness club instead of a county rec center, the class was all-male. Okay there were just three of us (maybe with the humidity near 100%, the gals feared a "bad hair day"? -- sorry if that is sexist speculation on my part. : ) Actually the classes at the club are usually quite small -- 4 to 6 at the max (as compared with 15 to 20 at the rec center). And since our regular teacher again has gone out of state to tend to a family problem (totally dedicated to family as she is), we had a substitute teacher -- very fit, very kind, knowledgeable, and, okay, gorgeous. Not even going to try to describe her outfit -- let's just say it was custom-made for hot weather. Okay I am happily married, and older than the hills, and certainly not attractive to these gals who kindly try to help us old geezers salvage what we can of fitness. But let's just say they make going to class very pleasant.

..And on days like these, it is not easy to motivate oneself to exercise. The humidity and heat are really building in now, and we almost surely have some big thunderstorms breaking out -- perhaps starting tonight, and off and on all week. I've deferred dawgwalking from morning to dusk -- my summer schedule -- so I hope we can get in a walk without being caught in a storm.

Okay, that's about it with me. I hope to make it to three classes this week -- our regular teacher will be back Thursday.

Cheers all,

Superbob

Hi, SB! I'm still waiting for summer here in the Upper Rust Belt. The last week or so, it has been cloudy, lots of rain, some heavy, some record-breakers, and the temps are struggling to break 70. Summer? I think somebody else got mine. It doesn't even make sense to get the car washed, as it seems to rain every day or two. We may get one day without rain, then we get 3 or 4 with varying amounts of rain. Just trash for weather!

I've been "mostly" retired now for a couple of months. I do work my "one week of the month" to publish company financial statements, and might go to a meeting every week or so, but most of the time I'm off on my own. I have managed to sort of create a routine at the new fitness center I've joined. I do 30 minutes on an elliptical machine (instead of running), then do weight-machine training, then walk a mile to cool down (no instructors - all self-[aced). This takes around 60-70 minutes, then shower and go back to my regularly scheduled day. I manage to get there 5 days a week for most weeks. With this routine, I feel a lot better and more in shape. I have only lost a few pounds, but the weight I still carry looks to be more in the right places. Since I have only been at this for a bit over a month, I'll have to wait a few more weeks to see how it all works out.

I think I mentioned, we did manage to get down Texas way to visit our nephew in Fort Worth. That was a new city for us - had been to other parts of the state, just nor FTW. Saw some new things, got to some great restaurants, and generally had a lot of fun with family. Now, I am looking forward to spending part of the summer just enjoying things around home. That is, if summer ever arrives.

Hope everyone else is doing well. I'll try to look in a bit more often, and until then I'll be. . .

Stayin' the Course.

Hello and good afternoon. Weather here has shifted from hot to cool starting yesterday. Feels like the start of spring to me and anything goes. In a couple weeks it will start the heat and therefore mosquitoes. What an annoyance those darn bugs are for outside work and fun. I shall wear the woodsy perfume of deep woods thereafter. Oh well it is nice to see the sunshine and soak it all in.

We built a garage on our lots this last week and when my oldest came to visit yesterday he helped us finish the roof. In return I cooked and still love seeing my family enjoy a nice sit down meal and conversation. No teens this time so no cell phones or girlfriends/boyfriends. Little 5 year old helped Gramma pick strawberries and is going through a being helpful stage. I love it and don't care if it doesn't last. This is one of my favorite things!

Well, I lack in motivation department for exercising, I push mowed lawn, picking weeds by 5 gallon pailfuls in. new lawn planting, and doing some organizing and deep cleaning in our home. I guess it is not really an excuse for not getting with the program, but seems like after doing basically nothing the last months, I tire easily and just can't get much more going. I am hoping this changes soon.

Wednesday is blood check day and received letter today that they will transfuse if it has not gone up from iron infusion. It was 7.5 at coag clinic last week which is up a little so will maybe beg off for another week. Reactions on last two transfusions and I don't enjoy that. Good news on all other levels though. Liver and kidney numbers are improving. YES!

Well, Superbob if the teacher is drop dead gorgeous and keeps you going to class all is good! We may all be getting older but we aren't dead yet! Good for you.

Steve, I am glad you posted as that means you aren't busier in retirement than when you were working........yet! Ha ha
Pounds lost is pounds lost, regardless if they continue. Good for you and enjoy that travel. One of my other favorite things to do. There is just so much out there to see and do. Yes, I sit out in the morning and bird watch in my robe with cup of coffee, start the sprinkler and just watch that also.

Life goes on and enjoy your part in it! Oh, and stay that course and motivate some of us that need a little push.

Jwinter, sounds like some of what you have going on is as physical as any exercise. I find yard work fatigues the muscles after a long day.

I got got back in the saddle this week so that was cool. Three midweek classes and a double on Saturday. Even ran with my wife Sunday testing the new inserts. No worse for the wear. No better either, but I’ll take survival as a positive! Did 5.7 miles about half walking and half running.

Did 21.5 miles this morning. Superbob, my instructor was wearing skin tight biking shorts. Don’t know if he measured up to yours though. I kid, I kid! Did a body pump class and a 45 minute RPM class Saturday. Body pump is a new one for me. All light weight, high rep work. Woke up some muscles I haven’t tested for awhile.

I was dissappointed that I was up in weight this morning, but did a waste measurement and that’s holding at 35”. I’ll take that as a win I guess. Cough still isn’t completely gone, but doing much better. Think I have to work the diet again to get fully back on course.

In a more somber note, there was a triathlon here locally that went right by our street. I learned this morning that a 61 year old competitor died during the running portion. I don’t know anything else, but prayers for him and his family and loved ones just the same.

wow, did our substitute teacher ever have a surprise for us this morning! Put those big old stability balls atop aerobic-step risers, gave us drumsticks, and we went through a whole lotta drumming on top, on the sides, clinking sticks overhead, pounding them on the floor, rockin' it out. What a workout! From googling, I find that drumming for exercise has been a thing for some time. But I was clueless 'til today. Not my favorite -- actually like planking better -- but it is genuine exercise. They say 400 calories if you can do an hour of this. Kinda fun. We'll see if our regular teacher continues with it, or it was just a one-time thing.

Hi, everyone! Late check-in for me. No special news to report. Oh, one thing....I went to Aldi's last weekend and though they had my favorite apple pie on the shelf, I did not buy one. Good for me :)

Latest posts

Back