Staying the Course -- 05/28/18

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Hope all are having a good Memorial day -- an occasion for remembering those in armed service who made the ultimate sacrifice in defending our nation and our freedoms.

We have a flash flood warning right here right now. Had 3 inches of rain in a very short time this morning. We seem to be in no danger in our own neighborhood. Our storm drainage handled 16 inches of rain from Hurricane Matthew so we're fortunate.

Need to try to do a home version of exercise class today -- ate way too much yesterday. Wife always cooks up a storm every holiday. I suggested she take it easy but she cooks, cooks, cooks anyway, Maybe she will settle for a marguerita this afternoon.

Cheers all,
Superbob

Superbob it looks like a quiet day here on the forum. I am sure others will be along as soon as all the "festivities" of this weekend are past.

Do tell about what you found for home exercise. Videos? YouTube? I am very interested as going to any type of class is not on my to do list.

I am also trying to eat right but sure is hard when bacon cheeseburgers and jalapeno brats on the grill yesterday. Yumm!

Well I am at the docs nearly every week but won't bore you with the details. The shunt put through my liver is healing well, INR is getting back in line, and going to get an iron infusion this week to boost my iron without irritating my stomach.

Made the two hour drive to see the kids yesterday and it sure was fun having a yard full of little ones again. The younger ones have siblings starting to graduate high school next year and seems odd to have them come at such difference in ages. Oh well, I love them so much and when those older than average parents get tired I remind them of the true gifts they have been given.

Have a great week all and hope to report some even better days next week.

Land of the Free....Because of the Brave! Never forgotten.

Many thanks to those who served on behalf of those of us who could not.

Busy holiday weekend. In addition to a great meal with family, it was time to knock a few things off the project list. One of which scored a rather nasty sunburn. Dumb northerners get a couple nice days and don’t think too much when tackling landscaping work without a shirt. I didn’t want to get all nasty sweaty and soak my shirt, so I decided to work without it. Back yard. No neighbors to creep out. These projects always take longer than planned, so I had plenty of time to cook to a nice red hue. Removed a fire pit with plans for a new one. Dug a stump out with plans for a new tree. Cleared a bunch of brush. Laid down aggregate and big 2x2 paver stones. Moved a big wishing well that my F-I-L built onto the new platform that replaced the old pit. Still making the new house our own after a year and a half.

Got it back on the spin bike after a long absence. Finished a good three minutes behind my old healthy pace. Still coughing but figure this is just life for a bit. No point in sitting around.

Oh yeah. My foot still hurts.

Jwinter, glad to see you could enjoy family. Assuming grandkids involved. Always like to see my kids enjoy time with their grandparents.

jwinter;n883512 said:
Do tell about what you found for home exercise. Videos? YouTube? I am very interested as going to any type of class is not on my to do list..

jwinter, not sure your age (and I'm not going to ask it!) but if you are looking for senior exercises, my teacher gave me this site, which offers some ideas. seniorexercisesonline.com

Also, have you ever visited the sparkpeople.com site? It is a free site for tracking weight and exercise, and also has a vast library of workout videos. www.sparkpeople.com I joined a few years ago, and check in just about every day.... hope this is helpful.

Here I am, again - just popping in and out. We were away for a bit, visiting family in the Fort Worth, TX area. Hot down there - around 90 every day. Got to see a lot of the big things - like the stockyards and cattle drive, the parks, Billy Bob's (billed as "The Biggest Honky Tonk in the world"). Spent time with family and even spent some time around the hotel pool. Great trip, but tiring. Unfortunately, at the end of the week we were there, I caught a nasty cold that later became a full-scale sinus infection, so I spent most of the next week (last week) keeping a low profile and munching the prescribed antibiotics.

This week I am back at work. This is my week for the month of May. After that, late June. Hope I can get it all done so I can switch back to enjoying summer.

I've been off my workout schedule dealing with sinus mess, but I also ate less due to being under the weather, so I've actually lost a pound or two. I'll have to wait and see if I keep it off once I'm back on the mend.

SB - I hope that super rain doesn't come your way. We saw the news reports of the upper east coast floods, and it was scary to look at. Some years ago we had a similar situation here where I work. It is a really helpless feeling to see a new "river" coming down the street, into your driveway and filling your building. It also takes a long time to clean it all out and get back to business afterward. Back then, we had two floods in a five-year period. I'm not sure I could dig out again.

For now - back to work. I'll be around, reading and occasionally commenting. Other than that. . . I'll be stayin' the course

Dying up here in the northland. It was 100 degrees with high humidity yesterday. We had a foot of snow a month ago and aren't acclimated. Luckily everyone made it through the Memorial Day ceremonies without keeling over. I better take a fresh look at what classes are available at the gym. It will continue to barbecue us all week.

Superbob, thanks for the ideas and links for home exercising (sounds like you got a great workout without going online to find it) Please be careful out in that sun. One of my friends took her husband in and they had to remove half his ear to get all the cancer off. I know.......we just tend to get the job done and worry about it later.

I am 62 SB and grateful enough to say it. The road has been bumpy the last few years. Oh well it keeps me humble and thankful. . Too bad so many people carry their crappy attitudes and have no empathy for others. Karma, ha ha!

I can relate to the weather issues. In less than a month we have had snow and a freeze warning last week. This holiday was hot, hot, hot! Grands were running through the sprinkler at 9 p.m.

Good to see you all here posting.

Hello all,

I enjoyed this week's posts. We've got some busy people on this thread, but I ain't one of 'em. General running around on Friday, grandson's HS graduation on Saturday with a 1:00 am bedtime, neighborhood electrical problems on Sunday (long story) with a midnight bedtime, and lazy Memorial Day. The electrial issues put out my electric clocks several time, and the last time it happened I set my bedroom clock but not the alarm. So work up nearly 3 hours late. Thankfully nothing urgent at work.

Had a good line dance class on Thursday. I'm going to miss this week's because I have another HS graduation (family friend). Still having high glucose issues. Weight issues are the same. I weighed in at 151.6 yesterday and today I am 153.5. Guess that's from sitting in my recliner all day yesteray. Need to take that water pill.

SB, sure hope you avoid any flooding. Dornole, good luck with the heat. Weather is just crazy. Thank god for A/C.

Be safe out there~

Summer's cranking up (though the summer solstice is still three weeks away). So folks are adjusting to heat indexes approaching 100F in parts of the country, including here -- today. Sounds like Dornole already has experienced the double whammy of heat and humidity far to the north.

Ellie and I have moved morning dawgwalk to dusk so sun is not beating down on our heads and temp is not rising as we walk. When we're lucky, there is a nice sea breeze that time of day too (or maybe technically a land breeze -- but ocean-connected). We did avoid flooding here, though atmosphere has been soupy all week. Occasional downpours but not sustained. Though Tropical storm Alberto already has brushed by, today is the official start of hurricane season. I prefer baseball season, thank you very much.

It's been good to hear from you all and Happy Friday to you too, Steve! And Happy June, all. Enjoy that line dancing after the graduations are over, Honeybunny.

Work has been too busy to walk during the week. I need to do some walks at night but that's tough. Did about 4.5 miles today and will do 5 or 6 tomorrow. The July 4th 5K run will be here before I know it so better get it together.

Weather here is starting to warm up but still nice.

No real weight change. I managed to survive Memorial Day BBQ at our house without overeating.

There is a local fire today in Laguna Beach. I can smell the smoke here. Hope they can knock it down tomorrow. That's about it for this week.

Back