Staying the Course -- 05/14/18

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Starting a new week here, just Stayin' the Course ... though we all have our challenges, hope all are doing reasonably well. Look forward to hearing from you...

Busy Monday here -- not a lot worth writing a lot about. Trying to get house up to date and workin' well on all fronts. A-C serviced today, got a neighborhood electrician coming in to check and update a few things, need a yard guy to repair the backyard that our two dogs have basically turned into a desert with their rough-housing. It's a long checklist -- just mark 'em off one at a time -- then start all over. Such are the joys of home ownership (but not knocking it -- grateful to have a roof over our heads)...

Humidity up, heat up, but thunderstorms expected to be around most of rest of week. This is the first of two Bike Weeks in the area, so we have that occasional background noise. I'm pretty much used to it -- doesn't bother me. Guess they have some good times at the biker bars, one of which is named Suck, Bang, Blow -- and yes they even call it that in the newspaper.

Went to Black Dog Running Company to buy some new shoes for exercise class, so I'll be ready to jog, stretch, lift, and plank tomorrow.....knee seems to be A-OK.

Well, that's about it from me for now. Look forward to your check-in reports.

Cheers,

Superbob

I'm reluctent to post because my weight keeps inching up instead of down. Trying not to be discouraged.

Going up the the mid 90s this week. No rain predicted but we can use some.

Busy, busy at work so not much else to report. Doing my best to stay the course.

honeybunny;n883352 said:
I'm reluctent to post because my weight keeps inching up instead of down. Trying not to be discouraged.
have you tried a low carb diet? Like say less than 12g per day? Maybe even a few days a week of ketosis?

Hi
Superbob;n883356 said:
Anyone considering a high-fat, low-carb diet ought to consider potential side-effects as well as the positives. I thought this was an interesting read. A google search will turn up the pros and cons to consider. https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/a19996091/ketogenic-diet-side-effects/

one doesn't have to go full ketosis as low carb (12g per day) is plenty enough to side step those effects. However if you are going into "doze off" then just eat a "little bit" .. our bodies are highly efficient converters of energy ... add up the carbs you eat and compare it to the american dietary recommendations of about 250g ... I'm willing to bet many will find they eat more.

anyway ... its just a suggestion ... feel free to ignore it

I’ve been mostly in ketosis for the past 11 years since I was diagnosed with diabetes. You need to get down to between 30 and 50g carbs per day and you would be in ketosis, but you have to stay there for your body to switch to using ketones for fuel. It’s really not that difficult, you can eat extremely well on it. Here is a very good website by a doctor which has a wealth of info and visual guides to help explain it, how to do it, what foods to eat and not eat, even recipes, and 'side effects' which happen in the early days of swtiching to ketones for fuel and how to manage them: https:https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

There is a also a whole section for doctors within the website with explanations by and for doctors https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/for-doctors

Here's a great visual of what 20g carbs can look like:

20gramscarbs.jpg

Attachments

• 20gramscarbs.jpg
    20gramscarbs.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
"Food for thought" as they say. Thanks Pellicle and Paleowoman. I am assuming that what works well for one person may not for another, for whatever reasons. I am a "moderation in all things" guy who takes moderation more seriously than I did in my youth. I've made it past three-fourths of a century so guess I am doing some things okay. But these are good, thought-provoking ideas -- they caused me to start reading up more on the low-carb approach. Hope they are helpful to HB and others.

Yes, thank you. My nutritionist wants me to watch fat intake. That seemed to work a couple of months ago, esp. when I tracked calories using My Fitness Pal. I'll do good monitoring blood sugar, calories, etc., for several weeks then get lazy about it.

My problem is definitely a ridiculously high carb diet every time I get stressed or tired. I am addicted to them more than actually enjoying them or wanting to eat them and I eat compulsively. That way of eating makes me tired and depressed and it's then difficult to get the energy to prepare and eat healthier foods and the depression / binging cycle feeds on itself.

I know from the past that I feel a LOT better on mostly protein, veggies and fats. Still working on breaking that binge eating pattern. I will do great for 3-4 weeks and then stress eat and eat horribly for 3-4 weeks. I know for a fact that for me, getting down to just three small 1/2 cup servings a day of any fruit/starch/legume carbs I want is good enough to see fantastic results. My nutritionist is encouraging this lower-carb plan for me. It's not easy to change disordered eating patterns but I know it's the right direction for me.

Hi Bob

Superbob;n883362 said:
... I am a "moderation in all things" guy who takes moderation more seriously than I did in my youth.

agreed, me too ... I'm not proposing a diet where you eat only meat or only celery. I'm proposing moderation , but moderation based on what the human evolved to eat, what humans used to eat. Vegetables and meats, with a much lower reliance on ultra high energy (carbs is energy, and sugar is carbs) foods like Flour and Sugar.

Lets take a historical use look at what our grandparents used to consider moderation...

UK Sugar per capita per year
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.czarnikow.com\/sites\/default\/files\/uk_per_capita_online_0.jpg"}[/IMG2]

another source

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.researchgate.net\/profile\/Laura_Sanchez-Lozada\/publication\/5924426\/figure\/fig1\/AS:277836779802665@1443252858721\/Sugar-intake-per-capita-in-the-United-Kingdom-from-1700-to-1978-30-31-E-and-in-the.png"}[/IMG2]

Sugar and also obesiety
Sugar-intake-per-capita-in-the-United-Kingdom-from-1700-to-1978-30-31-E-and-in-the.png]

Now, the other carb: flour
US in a much shorter time scale
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/www.ers.usda.gov\/webdocs\/charts\/55578\/wheatflour_450px.jpg?v=42032"}[/IMG2]

so moderation based on which decades standards of "moderate"

I've made it past three-fourths of a century so guess I am doing some things okay. But these are good, thought-provoking ideas -- they caused me to start reading up more on the low-carb approach. Hope they are helpful to HB and others.

glad to have given you some positive influence because while you made it this far I had the impression you were struggling with being over your desired weight ... was it like that in the first fourth of the century? Or has the "standards of moderate" shifted?

Myself I have nothing financial to gain or lose from what happens to you ... but "nutritionists" do and when I was doing biochem they were considered a laughing stock in science with many of them hammering the very stuff now well known to be bad for you (remember the old poly unsaturated fats VS butter?) They are in my mind just pimps of the big food makers (and "heart smart foods" are a winner on profitability)

Oh gosh, I hope you didn’t think, Superbob, that the illustration I posted meant you should only eat a pile of vegetables, it was just showing how many carbs there are on two plates of different foods.

I eat so well on low carb/high fat: meat, fish, eggs, non-starchy veggies, nuts, cheese, fats such as coconut oil, olive oil and butter, and wine with dinner. My carbs are from the veggies and the milk in my tea and coffee (I take all carbs into account and those in milk add up) and the wine.

To enter into the dietary discussion - I call it my "unprocessed foods diet". It's how I lost most of my weight recently. Aside from exercise. Staying away from calorie dense, highly refined, and going with whole foods. Whole fruits and vegetables. Still stayed away from fatty stuff. Mostly lean cuts of meat when I had meat (but I don't eat a ton of it). If I want a snack, grab and apple vs. a cookie. Etc.

A more extreme version is the caveman diet. What did our ancestors eat before they domesticated crops? Nuts, berries, fruit, meat, etc. Certainly not bread and other baked goods.

As far as my course goes - I seem to have found an antibiotic that is working. I've enjoyed some improvement in my cough the last couple days. Even did a couple five mile walks at about a 13:30 / mile pace (8:23 / kilometer). Think I'll attempt to saddle up the bike again Saturday. Got some fancy Oofos sandals for my feet to wear around the house. Reviews are very positive for Plantar Fasciitis. I hope they improve something. I can say they are good when they are on. What I'm shooting for is having my feet feel good without help. Time will tell.

Anne
Paleowoman;n883374 said:
Oh gosh, I hope you didn’t think, Superbob,
It's become pretty clear that Bob has a specific issue with me not anything you said. Either that or just doesn't want to make any changes in what he does except everything in moderation and wonder why nothing changes.

I've noted what could be thought as hostility from Bob towards me in the past and this last exchange has made it clear that he doesn't like me and probably doesn't like me being "on his turf" in "weight loss land"

Suits me ... I come here to help ... with heart related issues.

My suggestion is that this thread move to Small Talk, which used to brim with activity and would be a good venue for varied discussions. If someone wants to continue STC, they are free to do so. Throwdowns began as a weight-loss competition site (founded by Cooker, which he diligently kept going for about 8 years) and then he concluded it had run its course and I decided to keep it going with a new twist. I think that's been about four years now. I personally think it's run its course and would be better suited for Small Talk. Maybe Hank would consider just closing down "Throwdowns" because it probably confuses newcomers. Anyway. I am going to take a break from vr.com altogether right now because I have a lot going on, and so I wish you folks the best.

Latest posts

Back