Staying the Course -- 05/07/2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
In the Waiting Room but won't belabor that....Had a fun evening at the Little League park. My son Bobby the coach had his bride Erin and me as his assistant coaches. Erin (a former All-American volleyball player) was an impressive presence. I was bench coach and just enjoyed the kids' enthusiasm. Their team is the Orioles and they defeated the Yankees in an exciting game. Two of our gritty little pitchers can throw strikes consistently -- a HUGE asset in Little League. There were some errors in the field of course, but there were also some great plays, including inning-ending and game-ending tag-outs at home and at third base.

It is a delight to see my grandson Grayson taking to the game. For a couple of seasons, he seemed to be up to bat just looking for a walk. Took a lot of called third strikes. But now he's aggressively swinging the bat -- with good results. The other night, he blasted one over the outfielders' heads and off the wall for an RBI double. Last night he got good wood (well, metal) on two tough pitches, and he cheers for his teammates. Plays a good first base, too.

All this brings back memories of my magical first year of coaching my son Bobby in Little League back in the '80s. League needed a manager badly so they persuaded me to take it on and let Bobby, just 8, play "up" with the 9 and 10 year olds instead of in a lower division. Well, we lost our first two games and some busybody parent got on me about my coaching. I told him to buzz off. So I got my pitching rotation in order and we won our next 27 games in a row, winning the first half and second half championships, and the post-season one,too. Bobby hung in there, made some nice plays at second base, and managed to bang out a few singles against the bigger guys. We had three pitchers who could throw strikes -- the main key to our success, not my coaching. My son himself would become a pitcher later in high school, and earn a Division I scholarship that covered his college, as he became the team's closer. He was winning pitcher in the thrilling conference championship game.

So these memories just come pouring out. Tonight we will go watch our 4-year-old grandson Brooks play teeball. He is quite the slugger, often hitting balls to the outfield fence.

Okay, this has been one big nostalgia wallow and grandfatherly bragfest....So just starting the week on my happiest note....love to hear from all yawl good folks!

Cheers,

Superbob

Last edited:
After a minor operation two weeks ago had prevented me from doing much aerobic activity today I should be able to start getting back to normal. Lots of work in the yard of our acre property and hopefully a small session on the bike trainer.

Getting the hang of using the resistance band set I purchased recently. Absolutely love it. Usual approach of high reps (15 - 20), good form, no breath holding and stopping short of failure to keep it safe. It’s been fascinating researching safer resistance exercises for those with an aneurysm etc to replace the common higher risk exercises commonly used in gyms especially when it comes to leg training.

Won’t be long @Superbob, I’m sure all will go well then you can start getting your life back and eventually enjoying your usual activities.

Love your “wallow”, Superbob! I talked one of the kids into getting me the resistance bands you recommended, Gordo (do you mind my abbreviating your username) for Mother’s Day. I am anxiously awaiting Sunday! I’ve ridden the stationary bike every day, about 35 minutes a session, this week. No weight loss, but I feel good. And for me, that’s all that matters.

Just got my blood test results today since a year ago. All good except for my cholesterol LDL number. Need to continue to work on my diet. LDL from what I understand is mostly diet rather than exercise related.

Busy and not walking as much as I should.
Last Friday I saw my cardiologist for my yearly check. The visit didn't last long but he said my valve sounded good. He is ordering an echo because I'm tired a lot and have a little shortness of breath when walking up stairs. I hope it's just that I'm out of shape but the past year at work has taken its toll.
After the appointment we drove to Lake Havasu AZ, getting there in the evening. Walked to the London bridge and back from the hotel. Took a few walks there while we did some work on our rental house that we have there. Back home early Sunday evening.
Weight is constant. Cardiologist said I was 1 lb. higher than last year.
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms.

As mentioned elsewhere I got my annual echo yesterday. Surprisingly the aneurysm has been stable for three years now at 47 - 48 mm.

Asked about weight training and received the advice of ok but no straining and lifting heavy weights.

Getting a treadmill stress test done soon as well to see how my blood pressure behaves under exertion.

Doing pretty well staying the course, a 2-3 day slump but back in the game. Can't remember if I told you folks that hubs was dx with diabetes. So now he's actually eating (only) the healthy food I give him and has lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks even though he doesn't exercise at all. I of course have not. LOL.

Doing pretty well staying the course, a 2-3 day slump but back in the game. Can't remember if I told you folks that hubs was dx with diabetes. So now he's actually eating (only) the healthy food I give him and has lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks even though he doesn't exercise at all. I of course have not. LOL.
LOL! Not fair!

Latest posts

Back