Staying the Course -- 04/08/2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Hey guys, big news on the site today, time to look back with appreciation and look forward with hope. Will see how things shake out and leave it at that for the moment. Cheers, Superbob

Hey stayers! I am excited that vr.org itself is staying the course! One question to consider is whether "Throwdowns" and STC should continue as is or maybe morph into some of the new looks our new ownership and Admnistrator Angie are providing. Remember that "Throwdowns" began as an actual competition -- a weight-losing competition. That was maybe a decade ago or so. It was fun but gradually got old (after all, how much weight can you lose before you wither away to nothingness. Ha!) The founder, fun chap named Cooker, decided to step away and I proposed continuing it as Staying the Course, just a general chit-chat about the joys and travails of moving ahead with life after surgery (and sometimes facing repeats) -- still some about weight, exercise, recreation, travel, grandkids....We've still have a hardy band but some haven't posted in a while. Would it be best to discontinue this feature or blend it with something new? It's not my decision -- just raising it for discussion. Cheerio, Superbob ( who was given this nickname by the great and wonderful Ross of beloved mempry -- so I am proudly sticking with it.) :geek:

I don't remember the day but earlier in the week I tried to log into the site and it was down. Maybe it was last weekend. I didn't think much about it but then found out about the change. Glad Hank found someone to take this site over. Thanks Hank (if you're reading this)!!!
Another low exercise week for me. Weight is still the same so I survived the winter without adding extra pounds. It looks like the rainy season is over here in So Cal. I heard the flower bloom was awesome this year with the Poppy's taking the limelight.
The running group went horseback riding in the vineyards in Temecula last weekend. I'm not into horses so I walked, far enough away to keep from eating their dust. After was the obligatory wine tasting. Weather was great! That is the same winery where we're running a 5K in a couple weeks.
Taxes are done and work has slowed down so stress has lowered. I can finally relax and enjoy spring.
Where is everyone? SB needs some company.

Hi Martin and SB,

I’m a long time lurker now new member. Bit surprised how quiet it is myself. I’ve posted a couple of times including a new thread in recent days but no response:(.

Gordon

Last edited:
I'm still here. I'm glad the forum is continuing, and that SB has this thread. I don't need to lose weight (am too thin) but this thread is good for all sorts of other bits of chat.

I'm still here. I'm glad the forum is continuing, and that SB has this thread. I don't need to lose weight (am too thin) but this thread is good for all sorts of other bits of chat.
I’m thin by nature but somewhat fat from eating too much if that makes sense. When I lose more fat I start to look scrawny. Being very tall accentuates it also. Hence why I need to do some form of resistance training when losing fat. A challenge though with the 4.8 cm root aneurysm.

I don’t use scales but judge by the waist size of my trousers and belt hole. When I go down a belt notch or trouser size that signals progress:).

As part of my exercise routine I try to do “tethered” swimming at least three times weekly in our 9m x 4.5m home pool with today being a swim day. Did 30 minutes of lower intensity swimming.

Tethered swimming takes some getting used to at first but is fantastic once you get the hang of it. I find it harder than swimming laps in a public pool as there’s no turning break. It’s more like open water swimming. For those that don’t know what tethered swimming is the following is an illustration. Many give up because they have trouble with their legs sinking initially hence the secret is to use ankle floats.

1CC9CC9E-1F39-4E66-B850-245A57F3A9DF.jpeg

I have a swimming watch that I set to vibrate at 30 minutes so I can just turn off from the world then when the watch vibrates on my wrist I know I’m done. In cold weather I wear a wetsuit and swim cap. Our pool has a solar blanket which warms the pool somewhat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back