Staying the Course -- 03/21/2016

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Busy day. Finally got my backyard fence up -- it looks great! ELLIE went out in yard for first time off a leash and began looking for escape routes. When she discovered there were none, I think memories must have kicked in -- she started running around the yard and practically tossing a baseball to me to throw to her. Good times.

On the weight front: Late last week, my weigh-in showed a 14.2 pound loss since the crazy dawg came into my life in early January. It's progress, but I still know there's excess blubber to be shed --- will just keep staying the course.

Hope all yawl are well. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Cheers,

Superbob

Hey, SB - Great to hear of your continued progress. This just proves that any sort of activity can be helpful. Activity with a four-legged child can be doubly so, as it is, of course, activity, but interaction with a pup is just so much more rewarding. They say that just petting a dog lowers your BP. No wonder I used to fall asleep with our pup all the time. . .

honeybunny;n863888 said:
Yesterday I climbed 2-1/2 flights of stairs at work, the first time I've climbed stairs in about a year. I was far less winded than I expected and so was pretty excited.
Congratulations ! And 2 1/2 flights can wind anyone !

Didn't they make you climb stairs when you were in hospital after surgery ? They made sure I could climb stairs before discharge. And as soon as I got home I was having to go up stairs about 15 times a day (toilet upstairs) - it was pretty exhausting I must say at only one week post op - good exercise I suppose though.

Congratulations on the weight loss and new fence. I love to see dogs run around crazy and really fast. It always makes me laugh.

Honey bunny - nice work on those stairs. Paleogirl; I did not climb stairs before discharge. I remember seeing them, but I never saw them being used.

Amy

AmyBL;n863891 said:
Paleogirl; I did not climb stairs before discharge. I remember seeing them, but I never saw them being used.
Must be different protocols - I (and the other cardiac surgery patients) were instructed to walk four laps a day of the long hospital corridor from as soon as we moved from the high dependency unit (some patients had tubes and wires attached and they came along on a trolley with them ! !). Then on around day four the physio walked me from my room to the front door of the hospital - quite a long way - but we used the lift to get down to ground floor level. Day six - had to walk down and then up one flight of stairs - the physio checked that I wasn't too winded and could do this safely.

However, no spirometers which everyone in north America seems to get !

No, they did not make me climb stairs in the hospital after surgery. They didn't have me doing much of anything. I remember reading about the stair business beforehand but it wasn't a requirement for me. And my house is a single story so it wasn't something I needed to do when I got home. But the nurses didn't know that or ask me. Had the spirometer though!

protocol for me was walking the hospital corridors. They were concerned about my low oxygen intake so on Day Five they assigned a nurse to me to do extra walking with me so I could register high enough on the darned spirometer to be released on schedule. (Late in the afternoon, I finally was.) She was a very pretty and sweet nurse so it wasn't a hardship for me, but I felt sorry for her having such a dull assignment. : )

Dropping by to say howdy .... seems like everyone at work wants to add to my stress level but ain't gonna let em ... Dreaming of the beach and all the interesting peeps one might run in to .... Had a good week on WW and down a few more pounds since last reported...

Peace ...........

Latest posts

Back