Staying the Course -- 03-07-2016

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Welcome to another Staying the Course week! Maybe just "staying" sounds hum-drum, but not on a gorgeous day such as today in the Palmetto State. Clear blue skies, temps rising to the 70s. Glorious.

My week-starting news is that I have now dropped 10.7 pounds since my new companionable dawg, Miss Ellie Mae, joined our home from a Pawley's Island rescue on January 9. So we've settled in to an average of about a pound a week loss, a pound and a fraction more perhaps, which is a good healthy pace. It would be great if we can keep up this pace -- gradually shedding another 10, reset, then more to be determined (one step at a time; stay the course and see what it brings)....Anyway, my goofy retriever/Carolina coonhound(?) mix is a superb personal trainer. She's got good hunting instincts -- loves to tree every squirrel in sight.

We had a great walk this morning -- I am wearing a back brace and of course using my walking stick for extra stability but I can feel the pressure easing on my back. The better shape I can attain, the better the back will be. And we all know about exercise and heart health.

Okay, enough about me -- how are all of you all doing? I so appreciate the participation of all of you when you have a chance to check in. Wonderful to have buddies along this course.

Cheers,

Superbob

It's wonderful that you can tell a difference in how your back feels, Superbob. Ellie has become an A-1 personal trainer. We spent the weekend with our almost two year old grandson. I did get a lot of exercise, and ate relatively well, but the scales are recording my weight as up from last week. I hope it's a temporary bump after the long car ride home, but only time will tell. I hope everyone has a great week!

grandsons = lots of exercise! I can barely lift my almost 2-year-old g-son. I have him pegged as a future defensive lineman.

Hey it's cardinal (also Cardinal) weather, Duffey! -- (or just around the corner in any event) -- good weather for getting out and about.

We haven't seen our resident cardinals yet, but we have heard a couple of them. We have also seen some robins. Next will come the Canada Geese (look out below!). Sure signs of spring's approach.

Yesterday was the first day is quite a while that I was able to get out and walk a mile at lunchtime. During the spring, summer and fall I try to log a mile or two at lunchtime on every work day. The winters really don't help - too cold and snowy to walk, and too much comfort food at lunch. Double whammy for sure.

As I look out my office window, it seems to be sunny. If it holds up until lunchtime, this will be the first really nice day of the season, and I'll be out there to enjoy it.

Hang in there, everyone. Spring WILL come, we just don't know which days it will be.

Practicing steely resolve in Houston. Down a couple of pounds and hoping to keep them off. Cardiac rehab ends this week. We will see if I will continue to treadmill at home. Haven't been good about doing so on the weekends so counting on folks here pushing me to just do it.

Love that steely resolve, HB -- Superbob approves! SB hates treadmills -- so much so, that in Cardiac Rehab 11 years ago, I used to sweet-talk the nurses into giving me more time on x-bike and less on the treadmill. Sometimes the charm offensive worked; sometimes not.

Got another wonderful number on the scales this morning -- will see if I sustain it and make a progress report to start next week's thread with.

Enjoy, Jim -- sometimes diets just have to be put aside.

Hang in there with that Chicago winter, Steve. Be careful on those icy streets.

Cheers, all.

Seems like many are having a nice early spring. We are here too, in Kansas City. I have lost a bit of weight (2 pounds) so that is good.

In general, I think "staying" the course is where the rubber meets the road. It is easy to begin a new eating plan, or to sign up at the gym, what is difficult is consistent healthy actions over the long haul. I love that you named your posts the way you did. It demonstrates true commitment. No one is perfect; picking up as soon as we notice we are off-course and heading back, is the way to long term health.

Happy week, everyone.

Amy

Thanks, Amy, for putting this whole endeavor so clearly in just a couple of sentences. We are a support group within a support group, and we're here at it no matter what.

well said, Amy and Steve -- there are bound to be little bumps along the course or unplanned detours. We just do our best to get back on a steady path. .... and now I need to do so by starting a new week's thread! Monday is hectic as usual.

Latest posts

Back