Staying the Course -- 02-11-2019

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Rainy start to the week but hey temps in the 60s and maybe 70s by tomorrow -- not bad at all for February! My back was hurting me a ton this morning so I didn't make exercise class. I ran errands instead -- I suppose there is some exercise value in that. My wife scolded me for not going -- says she doesn't want her recovery to be a reason for me skipping exercise.

Happy Valentine's Day! --which reminds me -- On Valentine's Day 2005 I was at Inova Fairfax Hospital being prepped for aortic valve and root replacement 2 days later. I was not totally confident such an operation could be successful. 14 years later I am feeling blessed that it was!

CHEERS ALL,

SUPERBOB

Superbob, great to see you here posting!

Your wife is an encouraging part of your course, I can tell :)

Happy Valentines and valve anniversary to you. All of us here are also blessed. Some realize it and others should.

I have been in AZ for winter and has been a cool one. Matters not to me as I have slowly been regaining my health. On the way down here I was a bit nervous but all is well. Sold my lot and home here this year. It has been a little painful as I do enjoy the warm winters but oh well. Sometime's one has to do what they have to do.

Still doing some exercise and hope to start cardio again soon. Won't be for awhile though as we get back on the road Thursday and head north to the tundra. Hope the storms will take a break and let us through.

Well take care of yourself and your wife SB. Hope to see a few more check in.

Hi ! Things have been getting better for me - I have been virtually pain free for the past two weeks, consider that I had been in pain for over a year ! I reckon it’s because I am following my intuition regarding how to treat my shoulder problems. The work and exercises the physiotherapists gave me caused more problems, even the rheumatologist believes that too - so I’m just recovering from the damage they caused. The trouble with physiotherapists, at least the ones I’ve come across, is that they don’t take an individual’s unique physiology into account but just treat everyone the same. They didn’t take into account my pectus excavatum (depressed sternum) and kyphosis, they put things down to poor posture when these are a genetic issue with me, my son has the same too (I wonder sometimes if I have mild Marfans, what with bicuspid aortic valve, big feet and big hands and a small jaw, but obviously not overt enough signs to be diagnosed), plus they didn’t take into account my sternotomy which is still causing costochondritis. I was given massage which irritated a nerve in my shoulder because no account was taken of the fact that I’m thin, and the stretching exercises just pulled already damaged tendons. I’m now doing gentle weight lifting, hoping to increase that as I get more good feedback from my body.

The weather here near London is quite nice for the time of year. I managed to do some gardening yesterday afternoon, doing full squats as I was working digging up weeds and picking up sticks blown down from a tree when we had high winds last weekend.

Your journey sounds very adventurous jwinter ! And, SuperBob, hope your back pain gets less, believe me I’ve had a ton of that too and it interferes with both activities and rest.

PS - even the physiotherapist at the hospital when I had AVR didn't get things, she told me off for not breathing right while disregarding the fact that I have small airways disease and that I'd been given the wrong type of inhaler by the hospital, and the next day x-ray showed I had pleural effusions which would have meant I couldn't breathe deeply anyway ! You would have thought they'd put two and two together, doh. I obviously have bad luck with physios !

Last edited:
Reactions: Amy
So glad to hear about the abatement of pain, Paleowoman, though I gather dealing with the one-size-fits-all mentality of some therapists etc has been less pleasant, to say the least. Jwinter, I am hoping you have safe travels through the tundra, so different from the AZ clime.

I made it to exercise class today, got a nice welcome. Had to leave a little early to get back in time for a PT seeing my DW at home. Then we went to podiatrist for our 3 month check and trimmings. Then to a nice dinner at a friendly Mexican restaurant. Busy day but a good one.

Hope Honeybunny is doing that line dancing still and will tell us about it.

And the floor is open to all others as well.

Cheers, SB

It's been a rough week here in So Cal with all the rain. One day we had flood warnings. On Thursday the street outside our work was half covered in water and our parking lot entrance was a river. I heard later that a drain was plugged and they had to use a pump to dump the water into the parking lot.
Not much walking this week, only 9 miles.
Spent Saturday at a local amusement park, Knott's Berry Farm. The last ride we did was a rollercoaster that was so fast that I was out of my seat several times and thought it was going to go off the tracks on the curves. It was named Ghost Rider and we were in the very front. Vertical 40 foot drop at the start was a prelude to what was to come. We only saw one other couple that was over 50. We were there for a cheer and dance competition for our granddaughter. Then rides after. Long day and I now know that I'm not as young as I used to be. But I'm still not old!
Nothing to report health. Weight is stable and stress at work is better and my health is improving slowly. I actually ran some on Saturday. I'm trying to run a little more and walk a little less.
Hope everyone had a great week and weekend. Martin

Back